UIL 6A Area B 2023

On 10/12/2023 at 2:36 PM, bandsoflove said:

Correction on my previous post***

The current head band director is the last remaining director from Duncanville’s past staff. He looks like he is changing and moving Duncanville in the new direction! 

As a duncanville band student i would say a lot of the changes is our shows design is because of the color guard director Michael Shapiro. He plays a big part in the development of our show and is the reason you get to see such unique color guard work.🙂

7 minutes ago, jstabandkid said:

As a duncanville band student i would say a lot of the changes is our shows design is because of the color guard director Michael Shapiro. He plays a big part in the development of our show and is the reason you get to see such unique color guard work.🙂

Wonderful work! Love to see the changes implemented by him! Goodluck to you guys at Area and State! Hoping this BOA Prosper competition critiques gets y’all even closer to where y’all want to be at State. Thanks for the info!

Definitely saw some interesting results with BOA Prosper today. For the 2nd time in a row competing in the same comp, Timber Creek beats Keller and Bell is now over them. One band not to sleep on this year is definitely going to be Keller Central, as they managed to get past Keller. Waxahachie ended up losing to TC, Bell, and KC, but still managed to beat Keller. Keller definitely has some work to do if they want to make state, and while I still believe they can, getting into state finals is going to be a challenge. Duncanville is in a rough spot right now after losing to Berkner and Lake Ridge, so state might be out of the question for Dville. 24th-26th place just so happens to be all area B bands, Lake Highlands, Fossil Ridge, and Highland Park. I predict that will be the placement order for these three bands as well at area.

6 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

Definitely saw some interesting results with BOA Prosper today. For the 2nd time in a row competing in the same comp, Timber Creek beats Keller and Bell is now over them. One band not to sleep on this year is definitely going to be Keller Central, as they managed to get past Keller. Waxahachie ended up losing to TC, Bell, and KC, but still managed to beat Keller. Keller definitely has some work to do if they want to make state, and while I still believe they can, getting into state finals is going to be a challenge. Duncanville is in a rough spot right now after losing to Berkner and Lake Ridge, so state might be out of the question for Dville. 24th-26th place just so happens to be all area B bands, Lake Highlands, Fossil Ridge, and Highland Park. I predict that will be the placement order for these three bands as well at area.

There is definitely upheaval in KISD.    While it doesn’t necessarily feel like the slip at Keller high is a permanent thing - it’s definitely enough over the last two years (they had never lost to the other KISD schools) to see that TC and KC are surging and KH has some challenges.    You can see that TCs size and programs are much more complex and developed than in the past (likely owing to the state placements the last two years bringing more interest) and I would expect the same outcome over the next few years from KC, whose music program this year is really excellent and whose placement should draw more interest.   
this is no longer a one school district.  If anything , the entire district is surging- even Fossil Is making finals at events —- it’s not Lewisville isd (but who is) but really looking forward to Area Finals next week - three could make state finals!

7 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

BOA is an entirely different contest than UIL Area, one would definitely predict Bell, Coppell, Waxahachie, Timber Creek are probably locks to make it in at this point. Keller is too, probably, but you just haven’t seen them beat any of these groups ahead of them. That’s 5. Then after that it’s Keller Central and SLC that you would imagine are the smart bets to round out the 7 groups that go to state(assuming we get 7, I believe there will be). I haven’t seen Duncanville’s show but the feedback viewers got from their performance was positive. I think their placement at Prosper came to the surprise of many, definitely don’t think they’re out of the state discussion, but yeah, the betting money would be on the 7 groups I already mentioned. Gonna be hard to take any of them out

1 hour ago, Vidal28 said:

BOA is an entirely different contest than UIL Area, one would definitely predict Bell, Coppell, Waxahachie, Timber Creek are probably locks to make it in at this point. Keller is too, probably, but you just haven’t seen them beat any of these groups ahead of them. That’s 5. Then after that it’s Keller Central and SLC that you would imagine are the smart bets to round out the 7 groups that go to state(assuming we get 7, I believe there will be). I haven’t seen Duncanville’s show but the feedback viewers got from their performance was positive. I think their placement at Prosper came to the surprise of many, definitely don’t think they’re out of the state discussion, but yeah, the betting money would be on the 7 groups I already mentioned. Gonna be hard to take any of them out

Keller has a ton of dirt in their closer as they just put it in recently, its clear they are going for the long run but their show to me isnt going to go well at UIL, plenty of standstill, slow drill, and dirt now with the closer, now I wouldnt place them below 7th assuming they recover the dirt but considering how little time they have, I personally think KCent and Southlake will beat them at area, states a different beast but regardless this isnt state, otherwise my top 4 are pretty solid in place

24 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Omg I am so excited for this Saturday! Area is one of my favorite contests of the year because of the quality of the performances, the stakes at hand, the anxiety, the DRAMA!😩 🔥

I haven’t decided on if I’m going to area b prelims then area c finals or the reverse but I’m definitely thinking about doing both again for the 3rd year in a row lol Idk if I can contain myself to just one contest!

I’d personally do C prelims and B finals, because IMO, B has more “guaranteed finalist” than C, so being there for the drama when they announce the finalist would be really fun, but IMO B is a bigger battle as to who makes state, I’ll be at H this year, super excited to see Vandy and Vista, plus Lake Travis has been having an amazing year as well 

47 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Omg I am so excited for this Saturday! Area is one of my favorite contests of the year because of the quality of the performances, the stakes at hand, the anxiety, the DRAMA!😩 🔥

I haven’t decided on if I’m going to area b prelims then area c finals or the reverse but I’m definitely thinking about doing both again for the 3rd year in a row lol Idk if I can contain myself to just one contest!

My lord yes-   THE DRAMA!   In some ways it’s the real peak of the season!

1 hour ago, TrenBS said:

Keller has a ton of dirt in their closer as they just put it in recently, its clear they are going for the long run but their show to me isnt going to go well at UIL, plenty of standstill, slow drill, and dirt now with the closer, now I wouldnt place them below 7th assuming they recover the dirt but considering how little time they have, I personally think KCent and Southlake will beat them at area, states a different beast but regardless this isnt state, otherwise my top 4 are pretty solid in place

I’m not necessarily ranking the advancing groups in my post, I’m just going through the contenders, and generally for UIL, Keller do more than fine, plus they also have a week of rehearsal time still! The contest isn’t tomorrow🙃

I don’t anticipate them being in jeopardy for State at all, they’re still locks in my eyes. I feel pretty good about all the bands I believe will advance and that probably should be the consensus 7 for most that will advance from area, they all are performing really well! With UIL and the ordinal scoring of course, there’s room for unpredictability and uncertainty. But I think this one should be pretty straightforward.

These 7 have definitely separated themselves

48 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I’d personally do C prelims and B finals, because IMO, B has more “guaranteed finalist” than C, so being there for the drama when they announce the finalist would be really fun, but IMO B is a bigger battle as to who makes state, I’ll be at H this year, super excited to see Vandy and Vista, plus Lake Travis has been having an amazing year as well 

Did Area B prelims, then Area C finals last year, both contests were fantastic. What you notice when it comes to differences between both areas is very interesting when you observe it. Area B’s bands last year were really really well-balanced, in the pocket with their musical programs last year, whereas Area C’s finalists later that night were all running and gunning, me and my friend were shocked with all the output you were able to get from bands like Rockwall, Sachse, Boyd, Wylie, and of course bands like Hebron and FloMo were plenty explosive too, that goes without saying, it very much felt like you were watching some drum corps live with all the output of sound the bands put out that night! Area B was much more mellow in comparison! Haha

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

True but a lot of the finalist groups for Area C go pretty early. 

1 hour ago, DallasFan said:

Am I crazy or as of right now there are 29 bands in this area with a 1 rating and the last remaining region is 31 with only 5 6A varsity groups so the max they can send is unfortunately only going to be 6. I don't believe Coppell Non-varsity counts towards the number. 

I have 30 bands with 1’s maybe you miscounted?

1 hour ago, DallasFan said:

Am I crazy or as of right now there are 29 bands in this area with a 1 rating and the last remaining region is 31 with only 5 6A varsity groups so the max they can send is unfortunately only going to be 6. I don't believe Coppell Non-varsity counts towards the number. 

I've counted it three times -  I must be missing one somewhere.   I have 29.   Who am I missing?

Region 30

Boswell, Chisholm Trail, North Crowley, Weatherford, Timber Creek, Keller High, Keller Central, Fossil Ridge (8)

Region 5

Arlington, Bowie, Cedar Hill, Grand Prairie, Lake Ridge, Legacy, Mansfield, Martin, Paschal, South Grand Prairie (10)

Region 20

Berkner, Desoto, Duncanville, Highland Park, Irving, JJ Pearce, Lake Highlands, Macarthur, Nimitz, Richardson, Waxahachie (11)

Region 31 

Haltom, Coppell, Carroll, LD Bell, Trinity  (5)

Schools that didnt get a 1 - 

Lamar (2), Sam Houston (3), Skyline (2)

2 minutes ago, Gehrig4 said:

I've counted it three times -  I must be missing one somewhere.   I have 29.   Who am I missing?

Region 30

Boswell, Chisholm Trail, North Crowley, Weatherford, Timber Creek, Keller High, Keller Central, Fossil Ridge (8)

Region 5

Arlington, Bowie, Cedar Hill, Grand Prairie, Lake Ridge, Legacy, Mansfield, Martin, Paschal, South Grand Prairie (10)

Region 20

Berkner, Desoto, Duncanville, Highland Park, Irving, JJ Pearce, Lake Highlands, Macarthur, Nimitz, Richardson, Waxahachie (11)

Region 31 

Haltom, Coppell, Carroll, LD Bell, Trinity  (5)

Schools that didnt get a 1 - 

Lamar (2), Sam Houston (3), Skyline (2)

I found the mistake.    Crowley is listed as a 5a band in the results, but is actually a 6a band (as listed in the draw order) .   They did get a 1.    That makes 30.    

Well, here are my final predictions for this Area. They are based on one, is the show more UIL than BOA, how each band has done at their contest and just general stats about each program. It's going to be yet another extremely tough area, as always, with many bands having their best season to date, but here's my final guess: 

1st. Coppell 

2nd. Timber Creek 

3rd. L.D. Bell 

4th. Keller Central 

5th. Waxahachie (could switch with KC) 

6th. Keller (could IMO be anywhere as high as 3rd if they have really cleaned up visual wise) 

7th. Duncanville 

8th. Southlake Carroll 

9th. Haltom 

10th. Lake Ridge 

11th. Lake Highlands 

12th. Berkner/Fossil Ridge/Boswell/ Pearce

So I feel like top 6, while placements are interchangeable, I don't see it being any different than this. That 7th spot is really IMO between D-Ville or SLC, really depends on the judges, as Southlake's show is definitely more for BOA, so I have them 8th simply because of that, but if they execute well and clean, I could see them making state. 9th-12th is somewhat a guess, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't these bands, really I think the big fight is for those last two spots. Really just hoping that Keller Central finally gets in, will be a fun one!