UIL 5A Area D

31 minutes ago, Karma_Savior said:

I’m surprised Lake Belton isn’t a lock at this point. I looked at their marching festival results and they’ve beaten: 

Georgetown (5A)

Weiss (6A)

Brandeis (6A)

Sandra Day O’Connor (6A)

Taft (6A)

Hutto (6A)

New Braunfels (6A)

Yeah, they definitely have a great shot, but seeing Georgetown in finals at TMC is definitely not something to overlook. They were I believe 4th in prelims last year and then dropped in finals, so we’ll see if they do that again

37 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah, they definitely have a great shot, but seeing Georgetown in finals at TMC is definitely not something to overlook. They were I believe 4th in prelims last year and then dropped in finals, so we’ll see if they do that again

TMC? There were 15 bands and 12 made finals

54 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I believe Lake Belton also beat another TMC finalist band (Brandeis) by a considerable margin at Vista Ridge. However, anything can happen in the Area Round and I don't know if they're quite up to the level of Hays, McCallum, and Hendrickson since we haven't had a competition to compare them all. 

8 hours ago, lost said:

Hays did start off pretty slowly this year, losing to two bands that arguably should've been easy work for them with full respect.

I assume you're talking about the USBands Austin Regional? Hays had the highest prelim score overall (88.3 to 2nd place Copperas Cove 87.5 and 3rd place McCallum 87.2). They were third in finals with an 89.65, McCallum with a 90.0, and Copperas Cove with a 90.6.

McCallum is never easy to beat and Copperas Cove is leaps and bounds better than they have been in the past with the help of Zack Travis this year. Based on their score jump, they seemed to improve quite a bit the week between the USBands Ludwig-Musser Classic and the Austin Regional. They lost to Harlan by over 5 points at the Ludwig-Musser Classic and then bested them by over 5 points at the Austin Regional. Props to Copperas Cove!

Good Luck to all Area D bands next Saturday! I must admit, sadly, that reading these comments is depressing. Admittedly, I support Georgetown East View. I love their show this year, and I think if they weren't forced to compete against bands that are easily twice as big as them, they could do well and maybe even advance. Reading the comments here though, reality sets in. Today's UIL, is not like it was back in my day. Today, it seems like the bigger the band, the better the chance you have of competing and advancing. I used to be in awe of the 5A schools back before there was a 6A. I suppose there can always be a David to a Goliath, but the reality is that it's a fools errand to think that way. I do truly wish all the bands good luck, I just wish it was a truly level playing field where they competed by band size, and not overall enrollment. No matter who moves on, I hope the Champ comes from Area D. 

18 minutes ago, roundrockhorn said:

Good Luck to all Area D bands next Saturday! I must admit, sadly, that reading these comments is depressing. Admittedly, I support Georgetown East View. I love their show this year, and I think if they weren't forced to compete against bands that are easily twice as big as them, they could do well and maybe even advance. Reading the comments here though, reality sets in. Today's UIL, is not like it was back in my day. Today, it seems like the bigger the band, the better the chance you have of competing and advancing. I used to be in awe of the 5A schools back before there was a 6A. I suppose there can always be a David to a Goliath, but the reality is that it's a fools errand to think that way. I do truly wish all the bands good luck, I just wish it was a truly level playing field where they competed by band size, and not overall enrollment. No matter who moves on, I hope the Champ comes from Area D. 

I understand what you're saying. Most of the bands in Area D 5A are between 100-180 kids on the field. Don't really know of any groups that are much bigger than that. That being said, Jackson Academy is a prime example of a really small band that has had huge successes at BOA Contests. Look them up, it's inspiring for sure!

This should be an outstanding contest. 

At the moment, I would see Pieper, Hendrickson, Hays, Lake Belton, MacArthur, and McAllum battling it out for the state spots. Because of the judging panel, I would say the order is a toss-up. All of these bands have strengths and areas to improve. The panel will be unpredictable because of their backgrounds, experience judging, and historical tastes. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these groups not make the cut - but I am going to take a best guess here.

I will put Pieper at the top right now based on the confidence of the performers and the overall show design. I see Hendrickson, Hays, and McAllum battling for 2-4. And then after that. Pieper's overall package is fantastic. They play aggressively but with a high level of detail, and the color guard is fabulous. Love the Hendrickson show as well. These are such great bands!

6 hours ago, TacosNSalsa said:

This should be an outstanding contest. 

At the moment, I would see Pieper, Hendrickson, Hays, Lake Belton, MacArthur, and McAllum battling it out for the state spots. Because of the judging panel, I would say the order is a toss-up. All of these bands have strengths and areas to improve. The panel will be unpredictable because of their backgrounds, experience judging, and historical tastes. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these groups not make the cut - but I am going to take a best guess here.

I will put Pieper at the top right now based on the confidence of the performers and the overall show design. I see Hendrickson, Hays, and McAllum battling for 2-4. And then after that. Pieper's overall package is fantastic. They play aggressively but with a high level of detail, and the color guard is fabulous. Love the Hendrickson show as well. These are such great bands!

No one is beating Hendrickson. Pieper’s show astounds me because there will be moments of pure GREATNESS, and then they’ll be in a hold for 32 counts with zero visuals. I’m worried that the visual content score will be low. They execute so many things well, but there’s just not a lot of marching taking place in a marching show. 

I want them to do really well next week, and I’m very curious to see how it’s scored next week. 

On 10/21/2023 at 12:24 AM, Karma_Savior said:

No one is beating Hendrickson. Pieper’s show astounds me because there will be moments of pure GREATNESS, and then they’ll be in a hold for 32 counts with zero visuals. I’m worried that the visual content score will be low. They execute so many things well, but there’s just not a lot of marching taking place in a marching show. 

I want them to do really well next week, and I’m very curious to see how it’s scored next week. 

At Karma_Savior - these are great observations. I do think Pieper marches and plays a lot, and I think that in moments they do not add visuals - it is simply because they do not need to interrupt the musical moment or the color guard is so strong that they don't need to distract. Ultimately, Pieper is clean and entertaining. Hendrickson takes many risks - and they are also incredible. I could see either group on top, and I am happy to see both at state. Just sharing my thoughts!

Here is my first predictions for this contest-

1st- Robert E. Hendrickson HS
2nd- McCallum HS
3rd- Jack C. Hays HS
4th- Pieper HS
5th- Smithson Valley HS
6th- Lake Belton HS
7th- Georgetown HS
8th- Seguin HS
9th- MacArthur HS
10th- Belton HS

First two out-

Comal Canyon HS
Pflugerville HS

I know ya'll may be wondering why I have Smithson Valley over Lake Belton and Georgetown. I think that because of their recent return to the 5A classification. they have had success within 5A and I think this year will show that since they would have been a State Alternate last year had 5A had a state year. But it will definitely be a battle between those 3

1 hour ago, Dave609 said:

Here is my first predictions for this contest-

1st- Robert E. Hendrickson HS
2nd- McCallum HS
3rd- Jack C. Hays HS
4th- Pieper HS
5th- Smithson Valley HS
6th- Lake Belton HS
7th- Georgetown HS
8th- Seguin HS
9th- MacArthur HS
10th- Belton HS

First two out-

Comal Canyon HS
Pflugerville HS

I know ya'll may be wondering why I have Smithson Valley over Lake Belton and Georgetown. I think that because of their recent return to the 5A classification. they have had success within 5A and I think this year will show that since they would have been a State Alternate last year had 5A had a state year. But it will definitely be a battle between those 3

Yeah this is mine as well. I feel like 2nd-4th are gonna be between those 3, but placement wise could go to any of them, wouldn’t be surprised if Pieper was top 3 or even 2nd 

2 hours ago, Karma_Savior said:
  1. Hendrickson
  2. Hays/Lake Belton
  3. Lake Belton/Hays
  4. McCallum
  5. Smithson Valley
  6. Pieper
  7. Comal Canyon
  8. Seguin
  9. Pflugerville
  10. Georgetown

Unpopular opinion, but this makes the most sense to me. I’d love some discussions or questions on why, because I’m fully confident on this list!

Great list! I wouldn’t discount LASA this year. What I saw and heard at Region 18 last week was quite good. Should be a finalist this year IMHO.

11 hours ago, Bandmanio said:

Great list! I wouldn’t discount LASA this year. What I saw and heard at Region 18 last week was quite good. Should be a finalist this year IMHO.

I was gonna say the same, I've thought that LASA has deserved better in area for the past two years and I seriously think this is the best show they've had so far, wouldn't be surprised to see them top 7.