Everyone knows about the infamous UIL Region marching contest Rule E, colloquially known as the "8 hour rule".

https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/constitution/music/region-marching-band

However, anyone who has actually taken the time to read the complete rules will know that there is a lesser known and quite peculiar rule, Rule L, way down at the bottom of the list. Not just on the one for region, but for area and state as well.

It reads:

(l) BALLOONS PROHIBITED.

The use of balloons by participants or spectators at the region marching band contest is prohibited.

Now I don't know about you, but the rest of the rules in the link above are pretty broad and important, while the fact that there is a whole lettered section dedicated to stating that no balloons are allowed is quite suspicious. I must infer that this must have been caused by a specific incident at some point in the past.

Forgive me if this is common knowledge here, but does anyone have any insight into the incident, if it happened? If it didn't, what might have caused it?

8 hours ago, lost said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a pretty common rule through all circuits, probably just copy pasted from another older rulebook

I know, but I just found it weird that UIL just had a specific section dedicated to saying that balloons aren't allowed. Circuits like BOA just have generalized lists of things that aren't allowed.

But why balloons in specific?

• 2 weeks later...