UIL 4A State Marching Contest 2023 (November 1)

Dave609

Canyon HS-

HELLO AGAIN CANYON HS! What an AMAZING show and another AMAZING performance! I really love this show and the music and the visuals just make this a show that you can watch over and over again. Canyon HS just showed all how to survive the wastelands and get to the other side! Thank you Canyon HS for the performance and Congratulations to your 2023 4A State Marching Contest Finalists!

North Lamar HS-

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PERFORMANCE! First off, I wanted to welcome North Lamar HS back to Finals! This show is very interesting to say the least. Personally, I feel that this run was an improvement from Prelims, and They executed their show very well! That ballad is an amazing arraignment of Can't Help Falling in Love with You! It was played well! Congratulations to your 4A State Finalist, North Lamar HS, on their performance!

Davenport HS-

What a Unique show! I like the idea about everything being Up, nothing was facing down. I really liked their arrangement of the Up main theme in their ballad, was played very well! Congratulations to your now 2x State Finalist and your 2023 4A state finalist, Davenport HS!

4 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Panther Creek HS-

OMG, I think we just witnessed a possible State Winning Run!!! The music, the marching, the tone, and the techniques were all executed well! I love the props as well, they look like the ones from Rockwall's show last year. The flute soloist played beautifully! Panther Creek, thank you for such a beautiful performance and congratulations on becoming a STATE FINALIST!

Dude I was crying when they were done, especially after seeing their DM. @maxin459 I heard it to with the FE, but I bet you it was just on NHFS’s side, happens a good amount, kind of like with Crown this year at dci finals. But an incredible run, such young talent, incredible marching, really think they might take the gold tonight, amazing job Panther Creek! 

Anna HS-

Seriously, I love that Opener! Memories of getting to watch Reading Rainbow in school keep floating back every time I hear it! Rainbow Connection is probably one of my favorite ballads from this year! Reminds me so much of my dad and his love of the Muppets! This show has become one of my favorites from the season! I also really like the final movement, just sucks that the show must end :(. Thank you Anna HS on such a beautiful performance, Congratulations on becoming a 2x State Finalist, and thank you so much for the memories :'). 

1 minute ago, Liam Allen said:

Missed panther creek in prelims.  I’m pretty sure that was a medaling performance.  Dear lord everything was so tight, no intonation issues that I could hear.  Absolutely excellent.  Of course it can always be louder but that’s my problem.

Really hoping they pull out the W or at least move up to 2nd…time to see how Celina responds 

I’m not sure I necessarily agree. This seems very low risk, safe, and boring for the sake of just doing what the judges like versus doing your absolute best and making it the best show possible. I noticed that Argyle once they moved to 5A, this style does not seem to have the same results. 

So effectively, you are arguing that at 4A and below, they should play it safe, do a lot of solos to avoid exposing the rest of the band, and only execute the keys judge requirements. That’s not the music I enjoy, love, or support. 

1 minute ago, Rob I. said:

I’m not sure I necessarily agree. This seems very low risk, safe, and boring for the sake of just doing what the judges like versus doing your absolute best and making it the best show possible. I noticed that Argyle once they moved to 5A, this style does not seem to have the same results. 

So effectively, you are arguing that at 4A and below, they should play it safe, do a lot of solos to avoid exposing the rest of the band, and only execute the keys judge requirements. That’s not the music I enjoy, love, or support. 

I won’t go as far to roast Celina, but for a show called Kinetic it wasn’t particularly kinetic.

That is not to say they aren’t good, I just personally don't enjoy the design.

Just now, Liam Allen said:

Also missed celina in prelims.  Bit of a rough run from my perspective especially from tuning.  Well done other than that.

Yeah, I did here some issues as well, could cost them. It's going to be super duper tight between the top 4 (assuming SS have another solid run), but it seems the spot for the gold is a real tossup right now, which makes things exciting, can't wait for results! 

3 minutes ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

Yeah, personally I have it Anna - Celina - Panther Creek, although it's a 1) a, b and c type of situation. All with amazing performances tonight.

But take that with a massive grain of salt. I'm just a guy on my couch trying not to panic about the Rangers game at the moment.

Bro it's our year!!!