#TeamTexas 2019 Facebook Page

Is Sheddi posting here too? (I’m calling you out girl!) or did she just get the info sent to her because she does merchandising?

I started posting feeling pretty unknown, but now dont... When the private lesson teacher starts asking your child if “xyz” is your mom... and the booster president checks to see if it’s you....

I know -  that is a concern for many - going to FaceBook means that people lose the ability to hide behind screen names and have to be yourself - I lost my smoke screen a few years ago when the director called me out.

I hope everyone continues to post both here and on the facebook site - I am excited about how fun this will be and will bring everyone together

I am more nervous about the watch party on Friday night in Indy - I committed to buy the first round of drinks on this site so I am nervous to post that - I know that CTJ parents alone have more than 150 family members that bought tickets.

that could hurt - I was planning on 20 people or so :D .

Is Sheddi posting here too? (I’m calling you out girl!) or did she just get the info sent to her because she does merchandising?

I started posting feeling pretty unknown, but now dont... When the private lesson teacher starts asking your child if “xyz” is your mom... and the booster president checks to see if it’s you....

Yeah, I know what you mean - had the same take when I started posting. At the time it seemed like no one from TWHS posted, and almost no one from the Houston area in general. I do know that people from TWHS did look at the forums, but just didn't participate. I don't think most people actually know who I am, but as you know I was around a lot the last couple years!

I know -  that is a concern for many - going to FaceBook means that people lose the ability to hide behind screen names and have to be yourself - I lost my smoke screen a few years ago when the director called me out.

I hope everyone continues to post both here and on the facebook site - I am excited about how fun this will be and will bring everyone together

I am more nervous about the watch party on Friday night in Indy - I committed to buy the first round of drinks on this site so I am nervous to post that - I know that CTJ parents alone have more than 150 family members that bought tickets.

that could hurt - I was planning on 20 people or so :D .

That will make the bar area rather full for the watch party... how many big screens did you have in mind? And yeah, that bar tab will be very interesting.... :)

I know - that is a concern for many - going to FaceBook means that people lose the ability to hide behind screen names and have to be yourself - I lost my smoke screen a few years ago when the director called me out.

that could hurt - I was planning on 20 people or so :D .

We won’t let you get stuck with a huge bill. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean - had the same take when I started posting. At the time it seemed like no one from TWHS posted, and almost no one from the Houston area in general. I do know that people from TWHS did look at the forums, but just didn't participate. I don't think most people actually know who I am, but as you know I was around a lot the last couple years!

I know in the Johnson era, posting on txb or the MFA forums was grounds for expulsion. Even for current parents.

Hmm, that's true. I'm not connected anymore either (a little odd after the last few years).

I know the feeling - I was in for 4 years - out for 4 years (doing Alumni fundraising) and now back in the fold with a freshman - if anyone has does not have a connection - let me know - I will make sure you get a shirt and find a way to get it to you

I know in the Johnson era, posting on txb or the MFA forums was grounds for expulsion. Even for current parents.

I didn't start posting until 2017, so I missed that era by 8 years or so. I also think that would have been an interesting battle to take on if necessary, and I really don't think he would have won if it was a parent posting. But that is hypothetical anyway, and there are probably stories.

I’m glad programs aren’t so strict about it anymore. For the most part anyway.

I fully understand why and if I were a director, I would be inclined to be similarly strict. One kid can do a lot to tank a program's reputation--even if they mean well. Or they could just be a bit of a blabbermouth or otherwise embarrassing.

I’m glad programs aren’t so strict about it anymore. For the most part anyway.

Agreed. I think programs recognize how things have changed, and it is typically better to work with the supporters rather than dictate. I was quite happy and willing to not post what I knew about things until the program was ready, and that was voluntary. I respected the request that was made.

I fully understand why and if I were a director, I would be inclined to be similarly strict. One kid can do a lot to tank a program's reputation--even if they mean well. Or they could just be a bit of a blabbermouth or otherwise embarrassing.

You'll note my comment didn't include the students in the program. That is part of being in the program when you sign up. As a parent, I am not a part of the program - I support it and represent it but am not bound or obligated by it. Attempting to use the student as leverage is worthy of going to war over. A polite request goes a long way and is something that I can very much respect....

the director knows who I am and keeps me in line when I get outside the boundaries - I get the occasional slap upside the head

I tend to ensure that I state up front, that I do not represent the program and am generally going rouge with my statements and that they are purely mine and not that of the organization - that was easy to do with no kids in the program, but I have to be a parent again for the next 4 years. I still tended to get the occasional call to "take that down" when I get a bit overzealous. always enjoy the conversation on this site. everyone has  their allegiance to a program - but we can generally get past that (but I still get the occasional head slap)  :D

Constructive criticism is always welcome! There is pretty much always a way to get a point across. Over my corporate career I have developed a reasonably good sense of when to be direct, and when to hedge a bit. Where I draw the line is where someone will try to use my family against me - isn't that what the bad guys do in the movies/books/games/on TV? I also don't acknowledge that the high school band director has any direct authority with what I, as a parent, say or do or where I say or do it. They can absolutely request that I remove or retract a comment, but using the band kid as leverage? Pistols at dawn!

Of course it is now academic in my case as our youngest is slogging through his first semester in college. So now all 3 are either doing a degree program or a trade school program.

Constructive criticism is always welcome! There is pretty much always a way to get a point across. Over my corporate career I have developed a reasonably good sense of when to be direct, and when to hedge a bit. Where I draw the line is where someone will try to use my family against me - isn't that what the bad guys do in the movies/books/games/on TV? I also don't acknowledge that the high school band director has any direct authority with what I, as a parent, say or do or where I say or do it. They can absolutely request that I remove or retract a comment, but using the band kid as leverage? Pistols at dawn!

Of course it is now academic in my case as our youngest is slogging through his first semester in college. So now all 3 are either doing a degree program or a trade school program.

I agree - doubt anyone has ever been expelled for posting on the site - I have a great deal of respect for our director and the program and consider him a friend, so if he shares something and says - don't put that on TXBands, or you may have gone too far with that one - I always oblige his requests.

it is all intended to be in good fun