I wonder what BOA was thinking about

I was looking at the BOA schedule of contests for this fall and found out that BOA is only sponsoring 1 Contest in CA this fall. That event is located in Bakersfield and will be held on Nov 2nd. To no ones surprise in CA, the lineup only includes 7 Bands as of this time.Ayala is the only Band with any reputation in Field Contest Shows entered(To be honest I have to wonder if they will be at BOA, The Chino School District is hosting a WBA Marching Contest that same day. Since the School District wants all their Bands to be involved in local events, I can see that Ayala may not be competing at BOA that night. )

Last fall BOA had two contests in CA, One in Northern CA in early Oct and one in Southern CA in Late Oct. Neither are on the schedule for this season. 

For most folks who do not understand how Bands in CA work, their marching season starts the first week in Oct, which is late for those of us in other parts of the Country and their Finals in all their Contests are held the third week in Nov.  This fall between the 26th of Oct and  23 of Nov, there will be 28 Marching Contests and Also the California specialty of Field Show, Band Review, Jazz Band Contest and in two occasions, Concert Band adjudlcations. These events make for a long day. CA is the only state that does this type of Contest in the West. Because of these event dates, many of California's Top Bands (who do both Parade and Field will not go to BOA)

I do not understand why BOA did not have the contests in CA earlier in the fall, however you can be sure that the Circuits that Compete in CA, SCSBOA, NCBA, WBA, CSBC, MBOS and GSBOA are happy about BOA abandoning the Biggest State in the nation. 

I was looking at the BOA schedule of contests for this fall and found out that BOA is only sponsoring 1 Contest in CA this fall. That event is located in Bakersfield and will be held on Nov 2nd. To no ones surprise in CA, the lineup only includes 7 Bands as of this time.Ayala is the only Band with any reputation in Field Contest Shows entered(To be honest I have to wonder if they will be at BOA, The Chino School District is hosting a WBA Marching Contest that same day. Since the School District wants all their Bands to be involved in local events, I can see that Ayala may not be competing at BOA that night. )

Last fall BOA had two contests in CA, One in Northern CA in early Oct and one in Southern CA in Late Oct. Neither are on the schedule for this season. 

For most folks who do not understand how Bands in CA work, their marching season starts the first week in Oct, which is late for those of us in other parts of the Country and their Finals in all their Contests are held the third week in Nov.  This fall between the 26th of Oct and  23 of Nov, there will be 28 Marching Contests and Also the California specialty of Field Show, Band Review, Jazz Band Contest and in two occasions, Concert Band adjudlcations. These events make for a long day. CA is the only state that does this type of Contest in the West. Because of these event dates, many of California's Top Bands (who do both Parade and Field will not go to BOA)

I do not understand why BOA did not have the contests in CA earlier in the fall, however you can be sure that the Circuits that Compete in CA, SCSBOA, NCBA, WBA, CSBC, MBOS and GSBOA are happy about BOA abandoning the Biggest State in the nation. 

you answered your own question - In Texas we deal with UIL- it is a singular body that oversees the marching arts -  in California, you deal with SCSBOA, NCBA, WBA, CSBC, MBOS and GSBOA - as someone who grew up in Northern CA in the 80's, it has always been fragmented and far different than the BOA format. The high school I graduated from has had a review for the last 45+ years - it is a parade, jazz competition  and a field show - this is far from the BOA format and not well accepted in CA.

if the BOA format was embraced in CA it would grow. We have seen multiple new events in Texas in the past 10 years with the addition of Austin, McAllen, Midland and the fact that SA is the largest competitive event in the country. this is due to the involvement of the Texas Bands. 

My Alma Mater in Northern CA has 3,000 students and marches 48 band members - because there are no funds for fine arts - while my child's high school here in San Antonio just opened a new expanded band hall, has 3 trailers and with the same enrollment of 3,000 members in the student body marches more than 350 members

I don't mean to be rude - it is just the way I see it as someone that grew up in it

I believe it has a lot to do with the attitude most people in California have towards extracurricular activities- here, it's a little odd when all you do is go to school. Most Californian teenagers I know are very much focused on where they're going after HS. Academics are very important. I'm fairly involved in Boy Scouts, so I make trips around the country to work for groups who need it. Californian Scouts (whom I just visited in San Francisco) are the ones who have struck me the most out of any group I've ever worked with. For a significant portion of these young men (and now women!), they are not there to have fun. They are there to add to the resume. On top of that, there's not a whole lot of them. Scouting in general is very small there.

Rambling about a completely different activity aside, I know it's all very anecdotal. That's just personally what I believe.

I don't see it as a BOA issue. While it may be up to them to figure it out...the state of CA has ownership in it as well.

This!  I see this as a CA issue, not a BOA issue.  As underfunded as the performing arts are in most places, it's worse in CA.  Not only that, but the cost of living is very high (at least in the heavily populated areas that would have the most potential to have competitive marching bands).  High cost of living directly affects how much individual families can devote to things like band.  High cost of living and lack of support, also, drives away many great educators.  I am a CA native and am sad to see what has happened to my former state.                                                                                                                                                                                       

Interestingly, though, in regards to BOA in CA, I believe the "CA" regional was originally called the Western Regional and hopped around various western states, then as interest grew, more regionals were added and eventually CA had a CA specific regional (and then 2).  As recently as 2014 there was only 1 BOA regional in CA.  I don't find it strange that there is only 1 this year and (while this is just conjecture), I imagine Bakersfield was chosen either due to cost, availability or because it is central between the previous CA regional locations.  That said, no one wants to go to Bakersfield and it would be hard to justify the BOA entree fees and cost of travel for many programs (hence the low registration)....there are CA bands going to the AZ regional, the UT regional, the San Antonio, TX super regional, and Grand Nationals.

This!  I see this as a CA issue, not a BOA issue.  As underfunded as the performing arts are in most places, it's worse in CA.  Not only that, but the cost of living is very high (at least in the heavily populated areas that would have the most potential to have competitive marching bands).  High cost of living directly affects how much individual families can devote to things like band.  High cost of living and lack of support, also, drives away many great educators.  I am a CA native and am sad to see what has happened to my former state.                                                                                                                                                                                       

Interestingly, though, in regards to BOA in CA, I believe the "CA" regional was originally called the Western Regional and hopped around various western states, then as interest grew, more regionals were added and eventually CA had a CA specific regional (and then 2).  As recently as 2014 there was only 1 BOA regional in CA.  I don't find it strange that there is only 1 this year and (while this is just conjecture), I imagine Bakersfield was chosen either due to cost, availability or because it is central between the previous CA regional locations.  That said, no one wants to go to Bakersfield and it would be hard to justify the BOA entree fees and cost of travel for many programs (hence the low registration)....there are CA bands going to the AZ regional, the UT regional, the San Antonio, TX super regional, and Grand Nationals.

it is a shame that California has decimated the fine arts/marching arts - when I was a kid in Northern California, I was provided a baritone and an instructor in the 4th grade. by the time I got to High school I was proficient on multiple instruments. Texas introduces kids to music in the 6th grade.

I have had multiple conversations with the director at my alma mater as we are a sponsor of their program and have been for 20 years. when I was in High school we had to pay $20 for uniform cleaning and buy a pair of black shoes for our uniform. today they have to fund everything, they have to raise money to buy new uniforms, the district provides buses for football games but nothing else. Their instruments are old and beat up and there is no money from the district to repair or replace. They had the same uniforms for 22 years and only got new ones after a multi-year fundraiser 

with the exception of a few areas with strong local support, marching arts are dying in CA - surprising since you have some great DCI groups just an hour from where I grew up (SCV, BD)  

it is a shame that California has decimated the fine arts/marching arts - when I was a kid in Northern California, I was provided a baritone and an instructor in the 4th grade. by the time I got to High school I was proficient on multiple instruments. Texas introduces kids to music in the 6th grade.

I have had multiple conversations with the director at my alma mater as we are a sponsor of their program and have been for 20 years. when I was in High school we had to pay $20 for uniform cleaning and buy a pair of black shoes for our uniform. today they have to fund everything, they have to raise money to buy new uniforms, the district provides buses for football games but nothing else. Their instruments are old and beat up and there is no money from the district to repair or replace. They had the same uniforms for 22 years and only got new ones after a multi-year fundraiser 

with the exception of a few areas with strong local support, marching arts are dying in CA - surprising since you have some great DCI groups just an hour from where I grew up (SCV, BD)  

That really is a shame!  Was it you telling me you grew up in or near Eureka?  

San Joaquin Valley - in a small town - Lodi, Califormia - spent a great deal of summers in Eureka with family 

You know my middle daughter is now a ranger in the Prairie Creek Redwoods park and it's about 45 minutes north of Eureka.  When we were helping her move from Chico to the park after she graduated this summer, we drove to Eureka for several things.  I liked it!  We had some amazing seafood on the bay (the chowder...oh my!), and we went to the mall a few times for household goods.  Such a beautiful part of the state up there.  I'm anxious to go back.  

The Sad part of this year is that Arcadia HS, the hands down ALL AROUND BEST BAND IN CA will not be able to compete due to the date and location of this years event. Last year in their first ever competition in BOA they finished Second at the Northern CA Regionals. They were planning on going North again this year but the schedule does not work for them.  They will probably never go to Grand Nationals because they are a Band that is 60% Street and 40% Field and they also host the largest Band Review in CA on the third Saturday in Nov. Before everyone says so what about Street Performance, CA is still big in that and their schools that are not wealthy do not require the money it takes to perform in field events. Also one thing is very noticeable, Arcadia has marched 17 times in the Tournament of Roses Parade, and will again in 2021. They also marched in the 2005 Presidential Inaugural and Veterans Day Parades in Australia  and Hawaii. Parade is clearly their strength.  They are extremely Strong in WGI and have National Championship quality percussion section. They were hoping to get a better drift on what Current Bands across the nation are being exposed to and hoped the BOA event would help.