UIL Area D 2019

Could someone elaborate on the difference between a band "built for UIL" and one "built for BOA"?  I am a McCallum dad and drum corps vet, so I understand the activity, but I don't know what those two styles specifically reference. 

So glad to see Mac Band continue to advance.  They've worked incredibly hard (as have no doubt all the bands).

Could someone elaborate on the difference between a band "built for UIL" and "built for BOA"? I am a McCallum dad and drum corps vet, so I understand the activity, but I don't know what those two styles specifically reference. So glad to see Mac Band continue to advance. They've worked incredibly hard (as have no doubt all the bands).

The line is becoming more blurry as years progress but it mostly comes down to risk vs reward. Boa incentivises greater risk by rewarding very difficult things performed well over easier things performed at a higher level. On a state year a band may play a brass feature standing completely still while on a BOA year they'll fill it with body and choreography to earn the extra difficulty points for simultaneous responsibility even if the playing suffers slightly. This is only one small example and it's not 100% true all of the time because as more bands strive for success in both mediums we see fewer differences.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Mac didn't go to a BOA contest this year so I had no reference.  I had a feeling BOA was more "DCI-like" just given the success of programs like Avon in the BOA heirarchy.

I aged out too long ago to have performed in the modern "body movement" era so I don't really have a good feel for what's difficult or easy.  Drill certainly seems less difficult these days and there is less playing while moving, but I think the music books can be plenty difficult.  Mac's has a lot of well-performed high-exposure stuff, including both brass soloists who are absolutely terrific.  (They should be given their Fine Arts Academy training.)  Lots of complex ensemble work, with double-tongued brass call & response, etc.  Mac guard is not at the level of some of the Pflugerville or DS schools, but other than that it seemed like a very tight contest in Area D with Mac's edge in music making the biggest difference to me.

Best of luck to all who advanced!

Thanks for the quick reply.  Mac didn't go to a BOA contest this year so I had no reference.  I had a feeling BOA was more "DCI-like" just given the success of programs like Avon in the BOA heirarchy.

I aged out too long ago to have performed in the modern "body movement" era so I don't really have a good feel for what's difficult or easy.  Drill certainly seems less difficult these days and there is less playing while moving, but I think the music books can be plenty difficult.  Mac's has a lot of well-performed high-exposure stuff, including both brass soloists who are absolutely terrific.  (They should be given their Fine Arts Academy training.)  Lots of complex ensemble work, with double-tongued brass call & response, etc.  Mac guard is not at the level of some of the Pflugerville or DS schools, but other than that it seemed like a very tight contest in Area D with Mac's edge in music making the biggest difference to me.

Best of luck to all who advanced!

I will say in BOA (I think this is how it works) visual effect is judged and I'm pretty sure it includes guard, visuals, and the regular forms and marching. In UIL, the sheets only judge marching technique and forms. I may be wrong but I think I'm on the right track.

Side note - I watched your show last night and ya'll sound great. 

I will say in BOA (I think this is how it works) visual effect is judged and I'm pretty sure it includes guard, visuals, and the regular forms and marching. In UIL, the sheets only judge marching technique and forms. I may be wrong but I think I'm on the right track.

I believe guard is now accounted for in the visual score to a small extent (something like 20 out of the 1000?) I'm not too sure though.

Does Weiss have a guard or is it exclusively dance?  I don't recall seeing any equipment work but plenty of featured group dance (and they were very very good at that).  I would think that if there were any significant scoring emphasis on equipment work they would struggle in that category.

I don't know what they have (I live in DFW, don't get to see them often) but I don't think there's a section for equipment specifically.

Does Weiss have a guard or is it exclusively dance? I don't recall seeing any equipment work but plenty of featured group dance (and they were very very good at that). I would think that if there were any significant scoring emphasis on equipment work they would struggle in that category.

They only have a dance team, they dont use any equipment