HEB Marching Contest

Prosper: Royal Rising

Lots of purple and blue little tents out on the field. With a gold P logo.

Black is currently the color for the band and guard in dresses. Guard has crowns.

Open second pods facing the audience to start, horns up, and starts with a regal opening. Nice mellos in the middle, good ensemble sound.

Hits a pretty good triangle block. And a good sound push at the end of the phrase.

Little featurettes get passed around. Lots of good ensemble moments written into the show.

Taking a bow.

Flute and clarinet feature, cool effect when it is the only thing happening musically.

Guard had some great moments on flag while integrated into the music ensemble.

They hit ensemble moments well together, the synth voice hung the release so that was a little lackluster on the finish.

Very clean for this time of season. Maybe not a show that had a lot of room to grow. But probably a better production in the same type of show as Marcus.

Haltom: Carmina Burana

Some tribal looking black red and white teeth gear props.

Band comes out form behind the props, visually for the first hit.

Obviously loud Carmina opening, great releases filled with woodwind runs.

Really good woodwind feature. With simultaneous demand

Concert euphonium duo, great playing.

Good field coverage and music moments.

Sets aren’t hurting too well, visual is lagging behind some great playing.

Nice double reed trio, oboe, English horn and bassoon.

Colorfuard dancing with their red dresses.

Backfield building moment.

Turn around and a nice lush sound that just needs a little less synth and a little more players.

Show ends after the ballad.

Purely just out of needing to clean it puts them in third so far.

Keller: Change is the Only Constant

Props have that black and white stairs painting that are all over everywhere and upside down.

2 marble looking hand props that come out of the ground, that have pencils.

The guard is in orange that fades to purple low.

Piano to start. And a sax solo. Love the growl. This. Sax. Player.

Lush ensemble sound, into a trumpet duet.

Mellos in the first sustain. Powerful and cutting through.

I think it was a bird set.

The ensemble moved very well performer to performer.

Woodwinds are playing an awesome feature and the raw trombones cut through.

Trumpets give us the click on the horns up. Timing and stabs from the ensemble are awesome.

The drum major points down the ensemble fro them to change notes, nice effect.

A little mini mello sustain. Might be a little cooler if it touches the ensemble re entrance.

Geckos come out for the guard into two trombone soloists.

There must be some boxes of wheaties passed around to the soloists for Keller.

The brass is just powerful, and the mellos are what make every single impact.

That was fun.

L.D. Bell:

Pink and white sleeves on the members. Stage looking props have all possible solid colors on them. And it extends endzone to endzone across the front.

White dresses with pink sleeves for the guard.

They have a bagpipe player in full garb.

All grainger music.

Opens with bagpipe and field snare on Mylar.

Guard dancing with their skirts as they come forward. Band does the slow walk forward into a soft building hit. With rotating lines.

A reserved first impact with most of the brass on the front stage. Mellos trying to take the moment, they are doing well just need a little more ensemble go with them.

Woodwind ensemble playing all the grainfet you know and very well at that.

Just some slight phasing issued in the spread out sets, but lots of great musicianship.

Simultaneous demand is there and we get a, albeit short, loud moment.

Great woodwind feature back into the bagpipe.

A nice sax moment that with the right blending will be phenomenal by the end of the season.

The prop is quite loud with the guard in it during the ballad.

A nice kind build for the ensemble into a large triangle, needs just a little cleaning in the connecting of the phrase but the impact with the visual is very nice.

Thank you, littlejaw, for your commentary and rankings. I'm sure I speak for many others as well when I say that it is appreciated.

Always a pleasure to enjoy bands in Texas.

I try to balance my hype with some good comments of maybe why a group isn’t as good as they will be by the end of the season.

Lots of great bands, it’ll be another great year for Band in the state of Texas.

Guess Haltom wasn't as show-ready as we thought. Interesting to see how UIL Area will go now. Another thing to note is that this isn't BOA, where Haltom typically scores higher than Prosper. Good job to everyone who performed tonight!

Haltom part 3 was messy I feel . Alottle aDisappointed but they will do great I feel the rest of the year Especially knowing that area and a San Antonio and state is more than a month away

Keller was absolutely phenomenal, I thought they would run away with the music caption, holy cow. They will do really well at BOA DFW next week, I think they can push to get a medal considering how Cedar Park finished at Austin.

Prosper was a huge surprise. They will have a tremendous season with that show. I hope the make Grand Nats finals.

Marcus was great but I didn’t think the would be that close to Keller.

Yeah, I think Keller’s show is really accessible on both fronts. Obviously there are other more UIL based bands like Bell, Prosper, etc. but I think Keller will do extremely well throughout the season. I also think it’s really impressive that Keller won because even though this competition has captions similar to BOA, it feels more similar to a UIL competition for whatever reason.