Area E 2018

Care to elaborate?

Judge 5 was interesting. The recap is posted

To be honest, I thought there were alot of very good bands left out of finals. I wont go into who shouldve been out in their place, but some very good shows were left out. As for the top 5, I was very impressed by all of them.

judge 5 had clements 9th for marching really?

You’re as shocked as we were...

From what I saw of the bands in finals are as follows:

Clear Lake: I thought they marched quite clean drill and sounded pretty good. They were a smaller band so they didn’t produce as much sound as the larger bands did but they sounded solid and marched well.

Clear Brook: I really like their show. The music and visuals fit together very well and the theme was incredibly consistent throughout. Their sound wasn’t as rich as the upper groups which caused them to miss out.

Brazoswood: One of the most fun shows last night. Danzón no.2 was played very well and their music was probably the hardest music played last night. The horn solo was good other than a crack or 2.

Pearland: I didn’t like this show as much as I liked last year’s Ghost Train but they marched and played it well. Their tone was very rich and pure. A lot of ripples in this show that were quite pleasing to the eye.

Dawson: Dawson is huge this year! They produce a big sound, but the members don’t all sound the same. Their drill wasn’t super clean, especially diagonals, but their visuals seemed pretty consistent.

Austin: Their drill when it was on the grid was pretty darn clean but their curvilinears had noticeable spacing issues. Their sound isn’t as refined as in previous years but they’re louder this year.

All in all, great performances in finals last night!

Clements always will, in my opinion, be one of those bands early in the season where you think "they have a ways to go..." and then late October strikes and that's when they hit the hardest. They were only 1 judge away from being crowned the unanimous champion, and that 1 judge's scoring was a bit suspect. Regardless, it's great seeing them advance.

Clements always will, in my opinion, be one of those bands early in the season where you think "they have a ways to go..." and then late October strikes and that's when they hit the hardest. They were only 1 judge away from being crowned the unanimous champion, and that 1 judge's scoring was a bit suspect. Regardless, it's great seeing them advance.

Thank you! Means a lot! We’ll spend this week cleaning everything so much so we can be even more undeniable at state!

It depends on whether we're talking who won the last contest (this year) or which bands have been the most succesful in the last 30+ years in Texas. Maintaining a tradition of excellence is much more difficult than having the best band "today". The names are the directors generally most recognized with those schools and commited themselves to many, many years of service to those band programs. Although most are retired now, they represent many of the finest band directrors in the history of Texas.

Permian High School, Odessa (J.R. McIntyre, Charles Nail)

Longview High School (Pete Kunkel)

Westlake High School (Lee Boyd Montgomery)

Monahans High School (Dan Gibbs)

Pearland High School (Jack Farris)

Duncanville HIgh School (Tom Shine)

Lake Highlands High School (Eddie Green)

Van High School (Kenneth Griffin)

Nederland HIgh School (Blanton McDonald, Val Rose)

Alice High School (Bryce Taylor)

Georgetown HIgh School (Rodney Klett)

Paris High School (Floyd Weger)

Lee HS in Midland (Van Ragsdale, Randy Storie)

L.D. Bell (Roger Winslow)

etc...etc....etc...

Interesting to note that Judge 5 in finals was a former director at Pearland HS

Interesting to note that Judge 5 in finals was a former director at Pearland HS

Really? And 9th was just low enough to put them in second if my math is correct? Hmmm...

Pearland performed very well but after seeing both, I personally think that other runs had more energy, namely Brazoswood and Clements. I'm in no way saying that theyre a bad band by any means. I just think that others outperformed them. And based on the ordinals of the first 4 judges, they agree. I digress, area placements dont matter as long as you get to state. 

Really? And 9th was just low enough to put them in second if my math is correct? Hmmm...

Pearland performed very well but after seeing both, I personally think that other runs had more energy, namely Brazoswood and Clements. I'm in no way saying that theyre a bad band by any means. I just think that others outperformed them. And based on the ordinals of the first 4 judges, they agree. I digress, area placements dont matter as long as you get to state.

It means a lot to hear this, thank you for your opinion! I saw pearlands show and thought it was very close between us. Objectively they were pretty clean visually and had a pretty and resonant sound.

BWood knows the rules however in 2016 under their forumer director, they purposely marched ineligible students because the director said to. Now with a new director I doubt it would happen again,but ive also heard rumours so idk

We never purposefully marched ineligible students. To clarify, our soundboard guy that season was never in a band class so he thought the eligibility rules didn’t apply to him (even though guess what, it did). So we took him to Region. And we took him to Area. And we took him to state. It wasn’t until December when we found out that he was ineligible and caused us to be disqualified from those events. So no, under Brian Casey did we ever march students who were not eligible. We were all very furious when we found out.

We never purposefully marched ineligible students. To clarify, our soundboard guy that season was never in a band class so he thought the eligibility rules didn’t apply to him (even though guess what, it did). So we took him to Region. And we took him to Area. And we took him to state. It wasn’t until December when we found out that he was ineligible and caused us to be disqualified from those events. So no, under Brian Casey did we ever march students who were not eligible. We were all very furious when we found out.

That’s too bad. I’m sorry that happened to your band. I know that must have been really tough! :(