It is going to be interesting how this area plays out, as I think there may be a band or two who could make Finals at State that will not advance from Area.  The big key is how many bands get a 1 this weekend (and next Tuesday).

I think I have the lineups, but would love it if anybody could correct any errors:

Region 8 (Saturday - Midway High School) - A&M Consolidated, Bryan, College Station, Corsicana, Rudder, Temple, University, Waco

Region 12 (Saturday - Judson High School) - Alamo Heights, Brackenridge, Burbank, Edison, HIghlands, Jefferson, Lanier, Seguin

Region 18 (Tuesday - Toney Burger Center) - Bastrop, Cedar Creek, Connally, Crockett, Dripping Springs, Lanier, LBJ, Lockhart, McCallum, Reagan, San Marcos, Travis

Region 26 (Saturday - Kelly Reeves) - Cedar Park, East View, Elgin, Georgetown, Hutto, Leander, Manor, Marble Falls, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge

That's 38 bands I count.  I would love to see 25 bands advance so that we get 5 State slots.

Last Year:

Region 8:

Waco - 2
University, Waco - 2
Temple - 1
Rudder, Bryan - 3
Corsiciana - 1
College Station - 1
Bryan - 1
A&M Consolidated - 1

Region 12:

Lanier - 2
Jefferson - 2
Highlands, SA - 1
Edison - 2
Alamo Heights - 2
Breckenridge - 1
Burbank - 1

Seguin - 2

Region 18:

Ann Richards - 3
Bastrop - 2
Cedar Creek - 2
Connally - 1
Crockett - 1
Dripping Springs - 1

Lanier - 3
LBJ - 1
Lockhart - 3
McCallum - 1
Reagan - 1

San Marcos - 1
Travis - 2

Region 26:

Cedar Park - 1
East View - 1

Elgin - 2
Georgetown - 1

Leander - 1
Hutto - 2
Manor - 2
Marble Falls - 2
Vandegrift - 1
Vista Ridge - 1

Last year 21 got 1s, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that 4 more could get a 1 this year, especially on a state year.  

Also, I believe that betting on the top 5 being the expected is a little dangerous.  

1)  It's UIL.

2)  See Round Rock the last two state cycles.

3)  Connally was 6th at state last go around, they get clean and sound fantastic.  I'll direct you to their 2013 finals performance.  I feel like they get kind of lost in the shuffle.  Video I saw early on indicated much of the same.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1pxBUybvow

It would take a lot of improvement from the area's smaller bands to manage 5 advancing from area this year. On the one hand I could see it happening because of the growth of these areas in the past few years as well as the fact that it is a state year. However historically, many of the bands that got those 2/3's last year, have consistently gotten those ratings. What's a bit scary actually is that if we go off last years numbers, this area is actually closer to advancing 3 than advancing 4, which would be a travesty. Let's hope the judges are feeling generous  :P

And I don't think anyone's counting Connally out by any means. I made that mistake last go round. But I do think this will end up being a 6 way battle for 4 spots. And I don't think there are any guarantees for those spots either. Is there still a rule where if 2 music judges and 1 visual judge have you advancing, but you don't finish in an advancing placement, you still advance? Wouldn't surprise me at all if that didn't get used somehow (wishful thinking?)

Schedule for Region 26:

6a bands first.  Westwood starts at 4:30, followed by Rouse, Cedar Ridge and Round Rock.  Stony Point continues at 5:30, followed by McNeil and Lake Travis

Break 5A starts at 6:45 with Elgin, followed by East View, Manor, Marble Falls and Georgetown at 7:45. Break

Back with Hutto at 8:30, then Cedar Park, Vista Ridge, Vandegrift at 9:15 and Leander at 9:30.

'sgoing to be great!

18 1's in this area so far.

If Region 18 holds, then this area will send a well deserved 5.

I can only wish that we have 7 groups get 1's in region 18 so we can have 5 advance from Area D. LISD is just too dominant and you can't split them up into different areas because of their close proximity! Great programs.

8 sent 5, with two bands being close with a 221 spread.

12 sent 6, with one band close with a 221.

26 sent 7, and I don't remember seeing a close band.

I hate to be nit-picky, but there were 8 bands from Region 26 that got a 1.

On another note, Region 18 had 7 5A bands receive 1s last year, and this year there needs to be 6 bands with 1s in order to have 5 state-qualifier spots at Area.

I hate to be nit-picky, but there were 8 bands from Region 26 that got a 1.

On another note, Region 18 had 7 5A bands receive 1s last year, and this year there needs to be 6 bands with 1s in order to have 5 state-qualifier spots at Area.

This would be great news for Area D! Bad news for the rest of the state  B)

People consistently ask why there's so much focus on Area D bands on the site. Well it's partially because most of the users here are from Centex. But here's the other reason -

Fun numbers from the past 4 rounds of UIL 5A State (previously 4A)

15/16 Area D bands advancing to State have made state finals (potential for 5 for 5 this year?)

7/12 medals have gone to Area D

Last 3 gold medalists have come from area D, with three different bands winning those. Will there be a 4th this year?