I don't hate UIL. What exactly do you mean by low quality standards?

By non-competitive, do you mean region UIL? It really is competitive, just that the bands are competiting with themselves for the rating, then against others for who advances to area/state. 

hmmm when you look at it like that, it makes sense. lol.

I think I might just hate that aspect of it. I haven't really ever tried for much of the UIL activities... except being part of a band playing harder music then usual and not receiving credit for it. It was rather frustrating. Another reason I hate UIL, though, is their strange decision to alternate the divisions for state marching band competitions... I've only been in the activity for about a year and a half, so I don't know what reason they had for it.

I think I might just hate that aspect of it. I haven't really ever tried for much of the UIL activities... except being part of a band playing harder music then usual and not receiving credit for it. It was rather frustrating.

Just playing harder music somewhat dirty isn't as good or even as educationally sound as playing slightly easier music clean.

I fully believe that you should challenge yourself, but you should not try and play something that is out of your reach. Doing such only leads to bad habits and the acceptance of taking bad shortcuts.

Think about it... UIL affects everything, not just band. And they've been around for a while. Only like... 101 years.

Ever hear of the "No Pass No Play". Maybe the 8-Hour Rule. These make band, and everything, more fair.

Not to be mean, but I bet if any of your bands actually succeeded in the State marching competitions, then you wouldn't hate it. You would praise it as the greatest system ever, because they had YOU as being good.

Sure, UIL may usually have an array of score placements for Area and State competitions (it was better this year), but at least 60% of the competition's score is not left up to a vague category called GE in BOA.

If you can find a better system for judging, please email it to Richard Floyd, UIL Music Director. uilmusic@uts.cc.utexas.edu

My point for it is that it is rather aggravating that some bands can get away with playing really very basic music and receive honors yet those who are playing harder music receive NO credit for their attempt. If every school was playing music that was relatively close in difficulty, or bands received even a small amount of credit for difficulty, the fairness would be acceptable, but the complete lack of credit for decently played, challenging music is something I find to be unreasonable. I'm not so against UIL as a whole as I am against this. There is only one other thing, also... old(er) judges, who generally know close to nothing about the current state of marching percussion, offering useless comments like "snares and tenors aren't level visually (not stick heights, the actual physical heights)" and "basses too loud" around the table. It's kind've funny.

My point for it is that it is rather aggravating that some bands can get away with playing really very basic music and receive honors yet those who are playing harder music receive NO credit for their attempt.  If every school was playing music that was relatively close in difficulty, or bands received even a small amount of credit for difficulty, the fairness would be acceptable, but the complete lack of credit for decently played, challenging music is something I find to be unreasonable.

Difficulty accounts for 10% of the raw scoring rubrik in UIL Area and State Marching events.

I would also like examples of the "really very basic music" that you are speaking of.

I'm in debate, and just observing things that seem to go on in the activity. And I also suddenly have another random question!

Overall, L.I.S.D.'s bands have sucked this year. Our school opens, and ironically (with the exception of Cedar Park last year), Leander and Cedar Park are doing worse.

On the title picture up there, is that Cedar Park's cymbal line in the picture?

Only in marching band.  Marching band is an exception to this originally simple thread... I should've stated that earlier. 

But the majority of UIL's sponsored competitions are Marching Band (Region, Area, and State) while they only sponsor the equivalent of a Region Concert Band competition. You may be thinking of the other competitions that TMEA sponsors like All-Region/Area/State, Solo & Ensemble, and Region/Area/State Honor Band.

I also just don't think much of local competitions, as there are often much better musicians and ensembles elsewhere.

Local competitions are a necessary warm-up to competitions with a more broad range due to the extreme costs of travel and time. Many groups can only afford to take one long trip per year if even that.

Another curious thing... do we have a bunch of people taking debate here?

I've never taken a debate class in my life. :P

The thing that i don't like is the difference between UIL and BOA. I know this has already been discussed, but 8 minutes just isn't an adequate amount of time for a high quality show. We added about 2 and half minutes of music to our show between UIL and san antonio which was about 2 weeks i think. The UIL and BOA should try to collaborate on their rules and make it easier on bands to prepare for their competitions. I know some bands just prepare a BOA show when it's not a state year and I guess that works. Reagan's show this year was about 11 minutes long this year I beleive. So what I guess I would like to know is, how do they cut up their show for UIL? I don't know, sorry if I opened an entirely different can of worms.

That's a good point... I didn't realize that, since our school is new and those in charge of our school's fate decided that it would be a good thing to add a class each year, so only next year we will get seniors, and they will still be the smallest class (only 2-3 probably on the drumline (we count the battery and front ensemble together as the drumline in our school), perhaps 15-20 in the whole band). Though I certainly don't mind not having to have been a freshman with a bunch of possibly bored seniors, it's a double-edged sword... BOA is probably only going to be considerable next year, if we're lucky enough to become 5A next year. If we become 5A in my senior year, the only thing we'll be competing at will be that... unless there is a miraculous change back to the old state competition rules with everyone competing each year. The percussion seniors to-be aren't even the best players in the line, either.