8-Minute show length rule.

UIL rules are based around the 8-minute time frame because Texas Football half-times are only so long (short). When you take into account setup, entrance, exit, and drill-team for two schools, 8-minute shows are about all that can be fit in without running past half-time.

Many coaches and fans are such sticklers about this that teams have been penalized, many nasty letters have been written, and bands have been unable to perform when a band takes up more than half of the half-time time.

I'd rather just not play at halftime, and just play after the game like we do at homecoming. It would be a better setting because you really can't hear well front to back, (pit to battery), while some fat lard eats his nachos, belches, and screams to his buddy across the stands. Why not just wait untill the game is over and all the people who don't care about the band can leave and then the band has a tame audience and a good listening situation. I know this would be breaking 101 years of tradition or what ever, but sometimes things just need to change for the better.

I'd rather just not play at halftime, and just play after the game like we do at homecoming. It would be a better setting because you really can't hear well front to back, (pit to battery), while some fat lard eats his nachos, belches, and screams to his buddy across the stands. Why not just wait untill the game is over and all the people who don't care about the band can leave and then the band has a tame audience and a good listening situation. I know this would be breaking 101 years of tradition or what ever, but sometimes things just need to change for the better.

When that happens you will see a lot of local funding and support for bands fall through the floor.

There is already a lot of talk from many school administrations and state legislators about removing band (not just marching band) from the school day entirely and making it a completely after-school activity.

There is already a lot of talk from many school administrations and state legislators about removing band (not just marching band) from the school day entirely and making it a completely after-school activity.

That is ridiculous. I doubt that will ever happen, I mean haven't those legislatures seen the relationship between the kids that are in band and smart kids? I don't know if there is an actual published ratio, it would be interesting to see. But yeah, some of those legislators must be dilusional lol.

That is ridiculous. I doubt that will ever happen, I mean haven't those legislatures seen the relationship between the kids that are in band and smart kids? I don't know if there is an actual published ratio, it would be interesting to see. But yeah, some of those legislators must be dilusional lol.

Actually, that measure had quite a bit of support and put up a very good fight before it died without going to a vote earlier this year.

The idea is that school is for the 3 R's (Read, Riting, Rhythmatic, and RScience) and that's it! And that all other classes just get in the way of the teachers learning you. :blink::wacko::blink:

I think legislators shouldn't have jurisdiction over how schools should be ran. Seriously... people whose best skill is getting a bunch of fundraising efforts on and casting ballots really aren't overall the best group to decide how people need to be educated... if they required that legislators actually HAVE credentials on a subject as touchy but important as education, their proposals wouldn't be so... well, stupid. We don't need to bring in evidence for this...

UIL rules are based around the 8-minute time frame because Texas Football half-times are only so long (short). When you take into account setup, entrance, exit, and drill-team for two schools, 8-minute shows are about all that can be fit in without running past half-time.

Many coaches and fans are such sticklers about this that teams have been penalized, many nasty letters have been written, and bands have been unable to perform when a band takes up more than half of the half-time time.

Yea, the director from Irving MacArthur wrote a nasty email to us after they went 1 minute over, aint my fault their "pirates of the carribian" show took that long (9 minues, and yes i kept time)

I personally hate UIL because it has such low quality standards. But then again, it just seems to judge based off of how crappy or good all the bands are, so...

Actually... I just hate the non-competitive UIL events...

I am not going to bother to read the rest of the posts, but hey hey hey now. Don't be hatin'. Low quality standards? I look foward to "UIL years" because that is when we have a chance to attend all-state competition. I might not know much, but it is NOT low quality...

Chris, Chris..always ranting.

My opinion on UIL. I think people take it for granted just because you don't get placed at region, however you do at area and state. The rules are quite fair. I do believe it's good that we have state years every other year.

Texas, yes, being a competetive state, tend to "overwork" children. I am sure they have got many complaints. Having these set of rules makes it easier on the kids. I don't know about you, but I rather have SOME free time during marching season.

Chris, btw, thanks for joining.