Area G Marching Contest 2014

The top 5 scoring bands from each site advance to the Finals portion of the contest, right? If so then I have San Antonio Taft, Laredo Alexander, San Benito, Harlingen South, PSJA North from the Gustafon stadium site, and San Antonio O'Connor, Edinburg North, Laredo United South, Harlingen and Brownsville Lopez advancing from Farris. In MY opinion, I think that the Farris site is going to be a little bit more stiffer in competition. Brownsville Hanna, San Antonio Clark, Laredo United are some other programs that I think would have a shot at making Finals but it would be hard because as far as I know they will take the Top 5 scoring bands, hence why I think that this site is tougher than Gustafon.

Anyway, as far as who I think would be advancing to the State Marching Contest, I really have no idea yet. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! It's going to be such a great contest. Good luck to all bands participating! 

It is my understanding that since there are two seperate sites there will be 7 chosen from each for finals. So 14 bands in finals, 7-8 advance. As to my guesses....

Farris:

Harlingen

O'Connor

United South

Lopez

Hanna

United

Warren

Gus

Harlingen South

San Benito

Brandeis

Stevens

Alexander

PSJA N

Palmview

State Advancers: Harlingen, O'Connor, Harlingen South, Brandeis, Hanna, Lopez, San Benito

Actually I was way off.... There are 41 bands split between the two sites, 10 bands from each site will be chosen for finals for a grand total of 20 that evening.

Out of the 20 bands 8 will advance to State.

Yeah, I received the Contest Packet on email today. 20 bands at Finals, seems like any other regular Area preliminary contest. 

The original plan was, I believe to advance 7 from each site. But, there was a caveat that, because the split format was new, the final number advancing to finals was TBD after consulting with the state governing board. Evidently, 10 from each site was the number finally decided. It seems a bit excessive, but then so was a contest that started at 0700 Saturday and ran til 0130 Sunday morning. Two years ago, Northside  

Tom C. Clark stepped off at 0015 Sunday morning!

Finals Schedule:

5:30 Stevens

5:45 Harlingen

6:00 Palmview

6:15 Harlingen South

6:30  Brownsville Memorial

6:45 Weslaco East

7:00 Hanna

7:15 McAllen

7:30 Los Fresnos

7:45 Taft

Dinner

8:30 Sandra Day O'Connor

8:45 Clark

9:00 Lopez

9:15 Brandeis

9:30 United South

9:45 Warren

10:00 United

10:15 PSJA North

10:30 San Benito

10:45 Edinburg North

Awards

If you wanted to list in order of aggregate ordinal score for music (with marching place and ordinal in parentheses) you'ld have the following using standard tie breaks for music

1st Brownsville Lopez-11 (13th-25)

2nd Northside Clark -15 (12th-23)

3rd. Northside Brandeis - 16 (15th-30)

4th. San Benito - 17 (4th -11)

5th. Edinburg North -18 (10t -21)

6th. Northside O'Connor - 21 (1t-4)

7th. Northside Warren - 27 (9th-20)

8th. Harlingen - 27 (1t-4)

9th. Taft - 28 (6t-14)

10th. McAllen - 29 (18th-33)

11th. Stevens - 30 (6t -14)

12th. Brownsville Hanna- 34 (1t-4)

13th. Laredo United - 34 (10t-21)

14th. PSJA North - 36 (16th-31)

15th. Harlingen South -39 (5th-13)

16th. Laredo United South-43 (14th- 27)

17th. Los Fresnos -45 (8th-17)

18th. Palmview - 51 (20th -39)

19th. Veterans Memorial - 51 (17th-32)

20th. Weslaco East - 58 (19th-37)

O'Connor has come so far this year and the kids really have invested into improving all year long.  I'm very proud of OC for taking it's first area championship in school history and I'm certain they'll continue to work hard to make State finals as well.  Between the changes to the program and much improved marching and music they certainly have a shot at State finals and Super Regional finals this year.  This would be a fitting end a tough season that has seen two grand national finalist not make state.  If they execute to this plan they'll put "Area G" into the discussion moving forward.  Congrats to all of the bands in Area G and the other two Northside schools that made it to state.