2014 UIL Region Results

Updated the original post with results from Region 16 which completes the Regions under Area A.

6A: 24 bands

4A: 15 bands

I'm not exactly sure how the split sites is going to work for Area A, but I do know it won't be like how Area G is doing it.

Central Zone, (Regions 1, 16, 6), East Zone (Region 2), and West Zone (Region 22).  

Central Zone contest has 10 bands that made 1s, if all of them attend, so 2 will advance.  I think San Angelo Central's a lock and Frenship or Midland will be the 2nd.  

West Zone has 6 or 7 so only 1 will advance.  My money's on Americas, maybe Coronado.  

East Zone has 8 bands, so only 1 will advance.....which is unfortunate considering that includes Timber Creek, Keller, and Keller Central.  If the contest was held as a whole area, I'd have all 3 of them advancing, I think they're all on clearly a much higher level than the bands in the other Zones, no offense to them.  

I think between this Area A schism that's going to keep one or two really strong bands at home and the fiasco that is the Area G marathon this saturday, it's time for some realignment. The areas were (kinda) balanced in 2006, but it's thrown way off now.

I agree, I thought Area A was fine until they did the zoning thing last year. The El Paso bands + the Keller bands was a good mix which always advanced bands from both Regions and the 4A contest was always very competitive, both years I was in high school 2 bands from Ft. Worth/Keller, 1 El Paso band, and 1 Lubock band always advanced, so it's not like there wasn't enough representation from each Region at State.

I guess regardless of how or when you realign someone always gets screwed and someone always gets a better shot.

The problem for Area A is travel. It is 12 hours from El Paso to anywhere and not a whole lot less from Lubbock or Amarillo.

I mostly agree with the zoning of Area A, but I actually think they should be their own Areas with each sending a minimum of 2 bands to State.

Similarly, I think that most of the state needs to be reworked to have geographically minded Areas to minimize travel.

Something like:

- Dallas/East Texas (Tyler/Longview/Texarkana/etc)

- Ft Worth

- West Texas/Panhandle (Lubbock/Abilene/Odessa/Amarillo/etc)

- El Paso

- Austin

- North Houston

- South Houston

- San Antonio

- Gulf

- Rio Grande Valley

That's 10 Areas. I think it would solve both the Area A and G problems. But of course would come with other problems.

The problem for Area A is travel. It is 12 hours from El Paso to anywhere and not a whole lot less from Lubbock or Amarillo.

I mostly agree with the zoning of Area A, but I actually think they should be their own Areas with each sending a minimum of 2 bands to State.

Similarly, I think that most of the state needs to be reworked to have geographically minded Areas to minimize travel.

Something like:

- Dallas/East Texas (Tyler/Longview/Texarkana/etc)

- Ft Worth

- West Texas/Panhandle (Lubbock/Abilene/Odessa/Amarillo/etc)

- El Paso

- Austin

- North Houston

- South Houston

- San Antonio

- Gulf

- Rio Grande Valley

That's 10 Areas. I think it would solve both the Area A and G problems. But of course would come with other problems.

I would assume that's why they did the zoning thing, as I stated on another thread.  It's like 600 miles from El Paso to Ft. Worth and 400 Miles from the top of the Panhandle to Midland.  In a sense the theoretical areas you just listed are basically what they're doing, they're all still under Area A, but each has their own contest.  I like the idea of sending a minimum of 2 from each, would give the Ft. Worth Area, for example, a chance to send more than 1 very deserving band, same with El Paso.  

Fixed. I also removed Vernon since they made a 4. I don't know how that go messed up that badly.

That brings 4A Area B down to just 18 bands.

Xenon, it looks like 4A Area B actually will have 20 bands at Area, after all.  The schedule that I saw for that contest has both Ferris and Dallas Madison from Region 20 on the Area B schedule for Saturday.  Even though they didn't make overall 1's, each region does get to nominate 2 bands to be it's representatives at the Area marching contest, and since no bands in Class 4A made 1's in that region, those 2 were picked to advance, it seems. 

Which is great, since (like 6A) Area B is also a brutal contest for the 4A schools as well.

To flesh out my thoughts a little more:

- Dallas - Basically what is currently Area C, but with all the Lewisville/Plano regions which are currently in Area B.

- Ft Worth - Basically what is currently Area B, but minus the Lewisville/Plano regions and add the DFW portions of what is currently Area A.

- Austin - Basically what is currently Area D, but minus the North San Antonio and San Marcos regions.

- San Antonio - This would be a new Area that has the San Antonio portions of Areas D and G.

- Gulf - This would be a new Area that has some of the Gulf Coast regions that are currently split between Areas E and G. Regions like Victoria/McCallum/Corpus/etc.

- RGV - Basically what is currently Area G, but minus both the SA and Gulf portions to relieve both size and distance stress.

So does that mean that in Area g 8 bands will advance to state? Do u happen to know how many are moving on to finals since they are splitting area G into two sites and then combining the top for finals?

Yes, Area G will have 20 bands in Finals and 8 bands advancing to State.

Xenon, it looks like 4A Area B actually will have 20 bands at Area, after all.  The schedule that I saw for that contest has both Ferris and Dallas Madison from Region 20 on the Area B schedule for Saturday.  Even though they didn't make overall 1's, each region does get to nominate 2 bands to be it's representatives at the Area marching contest, and since no bands in Class 4A made 1's in that region, those 2 were picked to advance, it seems. 

Which is great, since (like 6A) Area B is also a brutal contest for the 4A schools as well.

Right! I forgot about the fact that the region qualifies two bands minimum regardless of whether or not they made Division-I.

Does that mean Region 10 sends two bands to Area F and not one taking the total to 35?

That depends on whether or not West Brook turned in a letter of intent to advance to Area (and paid the entrance fee).

We will probably have to wait to see the official Area F schedule to know for certain.