2013 BOA San Antonio Super Regional

I was able to see Cedar Ridge and Round Rock both perform their (full?) shows on Monday.  They both gave me chills listening and watching.  

Love the energy and beauty of Cedar Ridge's show this year.  

Round Rock has a wonderful show - I love the theme.  They have an amazing field presence and honestly their show looked so clean for how complex it is!  Very pretty. 

I hope that both bands make finals at San Antonio as well as Indy.  I know I will be watching at both :)

So excited about the next two days! It's going to be great seeing a lot of really good bands. Some thoughts:

The Brides: The Woodlands, Marcus, Bell, Bowie will be great as always. Placing somewhere in the top 5. I really think The Woodlands will be crowned.

Maid of Honor: CTJ

The Bridesmaids: Hebron, Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Vandegrift. In some order...who knows. Round Rock has all the ingredients. Hebron has a lot of buzz (well deserved). Cedar Ridge has blossomed. Their sound is incredible. Think Cedar Park with a little more GE. Vandy seems poised for a big showing this year. 

Ring Bearers: Cedar Park, Ronald Reagan. CP sounds incredible as always, but something seems lacking. They will do great at the dome on Tuesday. Reagan has an interesting concept...not sure I know what it is. They do have an amazing field presence.

The Out-of-Towners: Blue Springs...What are they bringing to the party? It could be a big surprise!?!

The Wedding Crashers: Westlake, Anderson, Churchill, Flower Mound, Woodlands CP, Spring, Plano East, O'Connor, Vista Ridge, Pflugerville, Richland, Haltom. Too many to count...

All in all, it's going to be a great party!!! Good luck to everyone!

I've seen a couple of people mention this already, but everyone still seems focused on the top 6 bands. Blue Springs from Missouri is no joke. They will upset some other bands that are in finals contention. Making second place and beating out Owasso and Marion Catholic is serious stuff. 

It's true that Blue Springs did well at St. Louis, but watching the videos again, Owasso and Marion Catholic did not perform as nearly as well as I've seen them in the past. I think Blue Springs will do well here, but they are going to be in Texas with many more good bands. St. Louis isn't nearly as competitive as San Antonio, which is more like a grand regional. I think that this year will be different than past years and there will be bands reaching places in the finals that they've never reached before. This should be a good one!

It's true that Blue Springs did well at St. Louis, but watching the videos again, Owasso and Marion Catholic did not perform as nearly as well as I've seen them in the past. I think Blue Springs will do well here, but they are going to be in Texas with many more good bands. St. Louis isn't nearly as competitive as San Antonio, which is more like a grand regional. I think that this year will be different than past years and there will be bands reaching places in the finals that they've never reached before. This should be a good one!

Watching the shows going on this year, I would say Blue Springs is of BOASA Finalist quality, and even are performing their show at a higher level than other BOASA finalists in past years. I agree with you that this will be a good one!

Since many of you are anxious about this weekend, I thought I'd share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFxhxxoYaw

Note: this will be removed by 7:30 am tomorrow, so watch as much as you can.

The reason this band will probably win Saturday night is because their show is absolutely thrilling. I can't think of a more exciting show this year, though the next two days might convince me otherwise. I just love how pretty much every beef I had with TW's show has been fixed, and then, on top of that, they've added touches here and there that I wouldn't have thought to add, but which enhance the show greatly. I absolutely love the streamers on the gates in the ballad. What an elegant solution to making that whole segment more visually interesting. And I'm happy they got rid of the arcs and replaced them with those angles, which look much cleaner. Then just the little things here and there. Changing flag tosses, changing musical cues. Oh, and the whole new part to the closer. It's just wonderful. With two more weeks to clean up the visual and the music for nationals, I think the sky's the limit. Can't wait to see the rest of the competition tomorrow and Saturday! It's gonna be an intense couple days filled with great performances.

I completely agree with Rubisco. I think this will be a record breaking year for The Woodlands, and they'll for sure break through their perpetual 4th place barrier at grand nats - probably placing in the top 3 (it doesn't hurt that Broken Arrow and Tarpon aren't attending either). This might be overly hopeful, but I'm getting the feeling they'll at least upset either Carmel or Avon (if not both). So I don't think it would be a stretch if they got second place behind either of those groups.

But c'mon! Who wants to get second place? We don't want another Reagan '05 and we certainly don't want another '06 season (where TWHS was first in semi-finals but came in fourth in finals). With my intense Texan bias, I want to see this group finally win Grand Nats! That might be asking too much, but I know the TWHS is certainly capable.

Exciting two days in the dome. I think the finals will have some surprises. I really am looking forward to seeing Hebron's show. I have also heard James Bowie has added a bunch of stuff to their show since the last competition in early October. I saw it then, so I can't imagine how it could get even better. For those that haven't seen it, get ready for some goose bumps!

Anyone know who's judging the different captions for prelims and possibly finals? I know the full listing is as follows:

Music: Joe Allison, George Boulden, Wayne Dillion, Randy Greenwell, Paul McGarr, John Phillips, W. Dale Warren, and Frank Williams

Visual: Mike Anderson, Marie Czapinski, Frank Miller, Adam Sage, Robert Solomon, Bob Thomas

Those of us who are watching via livecast are missing out on the bands' preshows because BOA feels the need to replace that time with advertisements -_-. I'm especially upset to miss CTJ's preshow.

I know right?!? It's SO frustrating! They do seem to usually show the preshows, but the field audio usually seems to be turned off until after Dan Potter announces the band.  I wish they would just leave it on the whole time...

I know right?!? It's SO frustrating! They do seem to usually show the preshows, but the field audio usually seems to be turned off until after Dan Potter announces the band.  I wish they would just leave it on the whole time...

Although I do like the Dairy Queen BOA commercial that features some of CP's music from last year and clips of last year's finalist. 

I just really hope that they don't cut off the pre-shows from the actual videos that they produce!

good god... how could I forget?!?!

Sometimes its due to music rights....sometimes its due to the "protection of artistic vision," if you will. HQ vids of TW and Bowie are usually released at the end of the season. Marcus and Bell videos: some years good videos get posted and are removed, other times they stay up.

We are told that it's all about the music rights, that the band can be fined thousands of dollars if the music ends up on the internet.

Looking at this schedule again, this may be one of the stacked and hardest--if not the hardest--regional in the history of the universe. This might as well be another grand nationals. That really says something about the quality of bands in Texas.

No kidding! I already have seen 11 bands I would consider worthy finalists, and the first day of prelims isn't even over yet! There needs to be something more like 20 finalist spots instead of 14. :) Don't know how the judges will narrow it down...

I think I had an emotional moment during Vandegrift and Cedar Ridge's performances, such beautiful music.

CTJ marching is insane and their guard work is simply amazing!

I was totally taken for surprise when Anderson's shakos lit up for the first impact. 

There are just so many amazing bands at the competition and the kids are really showing what they have! I commend all of the performers this weekend.