2013 BOA San Antonio Super Regional

I have to say, at Round Rock, we did not expect what happened. But I'm still very happy that we made finals! When I heard them say my school for tenth place I was kind of downed, but hearing Marcus and L.D. Bell right after us was even more of a shock!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOO proud if Vandergrift and Woodlands! And Blue Springs was FANTASTIC! GREAT competition!

Also note that several bands had ordinals that were the same as several bands came out with the same score in a particular category (i.e. Total Music GE, I think I counted 4 bands tied in 9th place for it). Anyway, congrats to all the bands and congrats to The Woodlands for their 1st Super Regional win! Bring the eagle back to Texas!

Wow. Definitely the most unforgettable BOA San Antonio EVER! But, in order to truly assess what on Earth just happened, and to figure out the real state of our marching bands, we must ask ourselves one pivotal question (and I'm not sure I know the answer yet): is this the most inaccurate group of judges we've ever had, or is it the most honest and unbiased one?

The music ordinals are the ones i disagree most with, but even then it seems like the individual and ensemble judges generally agreed across the board (besides Coppell, which I think often happens).

The most "wut?" worthy ordinals-

-Bell in DEAD LAST in GE? (sax man fixed this)

-Marcus 11th in Music?

-Actually think Blue Springs deserved higher than 14th in Music...Yeah, they're not from Texas, but I thought they held their own in Music.

-In general I find the Music Ensemble judges scores to be pretty heavily weighed to the bands towards the end of finals. Also seems like they really tried to make a statement by giving Vandegrift first overall...Very unprecedented to see a band this size win a caption, and I'm not trying to take anything away from Vandegrift at all! I think their show is fantastic and they deserve every bit of credit, but it's definitely a break from tradition (but who says that's a bad thing?)

Just my initial pass on those results...looking at prelims will be just as interesting I think. I can say that as far as just missed bands go - Vista Ridge took 17th, meaning Leander took 15th or 16th. That's the extent of my knowledge though.

Wow. Definitely the most unforgettable BOA San Antonio EVER! But, in order to truly assess what on Earth just happened, and to figure out the real state of our marching bands, we must ask ourselves one pivotal question (and I'm not sure I know the answer yet): is this the most inaccurate group of judges we've ever had, or is it the most honest and unbiased one?

I don't think it is really a question of accuracy, honesty, nor bias. They judged what they saw and heard and I am in general enough agreement with the groupings of the overall placements (yes some minor quibbles, but whatever) that I have no reason to question them. While watching Finals, I really did have Marcus and Bell relatively low in the placements, but we also have to remember that they are geared for a season that is 2 weeks longer than many other bands. They are still learning sets and cleaning and getting comfortable with their shows. Both bands have shown in the past that 2 weeks is an incredibly long amount of time that can allow for an unbelievable amount of growth.

And for the judging, the same has been true in all the previous years; the general groupings of overal placements are generally dead on what they should be. I have never seen any reason to suspect anything undue about the general groupings of the final placements of bands.

We must remember that judging on this level is incredibly hard and also very subjective no matter how objective we try to make it. Everybody will have different opinions, even judges. But different opinions do not imply malice nor incompetence.

I'd like to thank the judges for all of their hard work over the past two days! The level of their work so often goes unrecognized.

Quite shocked at these results. But I must say Cedar Ridge making 2nd in music and tying with around Rock, I didn't see coming.

For there first super regional finals, I think that's quite impressive. With a little work on there visual, I think they'll jump numbers at BOA GN.

I wasn't too impressed by Marcus' show, LD Bell either. But I am shocked at there placements.

A bit surprised the woodlands won, but nonetheless I think there show is phenomenal.

Everyone, the original PDF I attached had a mistake to the Visual GE ordinal for LD Bell. I had them using 16.10 and it was actually 18.10. This brings them from 14th in Visual GE to 5th in Visual GE. This change will only affect Total GE. All other ordinals for Music and Visual are correct.

My apologies, should've put on my external auditor hat to double check that, sorry.

Anyway, if you'd like to reassess the ordinals, this is correct in the attached.

2013 BOA San Antonio Results.pdf

Looking at the recaps, it does in fact look like that the top 6 block most of us had agreed on were in fact the top 6 in prelims (LD Bell was actually 7th because they tied with Coppell who had higher GE, but close enough).

The first number is prelims ranking, second is finals:

The Woodlands: 5, 1

Hebron: 1, 2

Bowie: 4, 3

CTJ: 2, 4

Reagan: 11, 5

Blue Springs: 10, 6

Vandegrift: 12, 7

Marcus: 3, 8

LD Bell: 7, 9

Round Rock: 9, 10

Cedar Ridge: 14, 11

Coppell: 6, 12

Westlake: 8, 13

Cedar Park: 13, 14

(Other notables - prelims)

Leander - 15

Spring - 16

Vista Ridge - 17

Flower Mound - 18

Anderson - 19

Mansfield - 20

Keller Central - 21

James Martin - 22 (tie)

Haltom - 22 (tie)

Plano East - 24

James E Taylor - 25

Churchill - 26

The Woodlands College Park - 27

Keller - 28

Hendrickson - 29

North Shore - 30

Aledo - 31

Pflugerville - 32

***Richland - 38*** (WHAT?!)

Looking at the recaps, it does in fact look like that the top 6 block most of us had agreed on were in fact the top 6 in prelims (LD Bell was actually 7th because they tied with Coppell who had higher GE, but close enough).

The first number is prelims ranking, second is finals:

The Woodlands: 5, 1

Hebron: 1, 2

Bowie: 4, 3

CTJ: 2, 4

Reagan: 11, 5

Blue Springs: 10, 6

Vandegrift: 12, 7

Marcus: 3, 8

LD Bell: 7, 9

Round Rock: 9, 10

Cedar Ridge: 14, 11

Coppell: 6, 12

Westlake: 8, 13

Cedar Park: 13, 14

(Other notables - prelims)

Leander - 15

Spring - 16

Vista Ridge - 17

Flower Mound - 18

Anderson - 19

Mansfield - 20

Keller Central - 21

James Martin - 22 (tie)

Haltom - 22 (tie)

Plano East - 24

James E Taylor - 25

Churchill - 26

The Woodlands College Park - 27

Keller - 28

Hendrickson - 29

North Shore - 30

Aledo - 31

Pflugerville - 32

***Richland - 38*** (WHAT?!)

So proud of our Haltom kids! Less than four points from making finals and, for me, that is a huge thing! After a rough few years, Haltom is making their way back up. This year's show is incredible! The kids this year are so disciplined and, well, just plain good. Really looking forward to State next year. Things will only get better. Let's go, Pride!! woo!

I think the early time hurt woodlands in prelims.  Just a thought. 

Have to agree. I think some are in denial of what those early times do. Haltom won the title at Mansfield and came in fourth at Duncanville and 22nd out of 64 in BOA SA. In BOA DFW, they were the first band. Had to be at the band hall at 5:30am Saturday morning and had no practice/run through time before heading to Allen. They placed 16th. No matter what people might say, an early performance time where there is no opportunity to run through the show before, makes a difference. It obviously did at BOA SA. The Woodlands show is amazing. Kudos to them and I wish them the best at GNats!

On a side note: Can people not be happy in making finals? That's quite a feat! A LOT of really amazing, talented bands didn't make it to finals yesterday. Maybe it's just me, but for those who did make it into that top 14, you should be beyond thrilled, no matter the outcome. Also, I agree with others who have said maybe it's time to have a semi-finals at BOA SA. Just think about having all those amazing bands performing again. It would give them another chance to see what they can do and it would be SO fun to see! :)

^You may want to format that a little better if possible. And WOW Marcus came in 13th place for musical ensemble performance. Don't know if I entirely agree with that one..

...Seriously? MARCUS got 13th in ensemble music??? ...Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah don't know if I agree with that either. I mean, I expected bands like Coppell, Hebron, and The Woodlands to beat them in music, but certainly not 12 bands. But I have talked about how I strongly disagree with the finals results WAY too much, rather than how great this contest was so I'll shut up. They are trained professionals just trying to do their job and I'm not a professional by any means.

So I wasn't there, but how did Vandegrift improve upon their music score that much? Was their finals performance really that much better? From 17.2 overall to 18.85... That's a pretty significant jump in overall music score. They went from very average music scores in prelims to stellar scores in finals.

Seems like a lot of that was happening all around, really. Marcus went from 18.6 to 17.35, so a great music score in prelims to an average score in finals. 

Definitely some odd scoring. 

I think it's safe to say, though, that this has been one of the most competitive BOA competitions in recent history. Just a 6ish point spread from 1st to 14th. BOA seriously needs to move Grand Nats around. The top 4 Texas bands could easily insert themselves into the top 10 at Grand Nats. 

I know for sure one of Bell's problem was drum majors not together with each other

Quite shocked at these results. But I must say Cedar Ridge making 2nd in music and tying with around Rock, I didn't see coming.
For there first super regional finals, I think that's quite impressive. With a little work on there visual, I think they'll jump numbers at BOA GN.

I wasn't too impressed by Marcus' show, LD Bell either. But I am shocked at there placements.

A bit surprised the woodlands won, but nonetheless I think there show is phenomenal.

Daniel Sanchez get big props from me. Picking 13 of the 14 finalists correctly could be labeled as heroic. I think a trip to Vegas may be in the offing.

The Visual and GE categories actually seem very reasonable. It's the music caption that had some bizarre placements. I thought Hebron and Coppell had two of the most impressive musical shows that I've heard in years of these contests (LDB 2011, Marcus 2010) and they placed 4th and 5th in Music. Marcus finished 11th in Music--please??

Regardless, TW and Hebron were the two best shows Saturday night and they both have great kids and parents. Congratulations!

BTW--big, big props to Blue Springs. That show was awesome and they should definitely make finals at GN!

I'm sure many of y'all are wondering what happened to richland. If you saw our show, you may have noticed the awful screeching coming from our speakers and the random moments of awkward silence. As we took the field, our guitar amp blew out, and in turn basically ruined our Music GE. We were missing 2 guitar solos, and quite a bit of narration in the beginning of the show. Not really sure what to say about the rest of the judging. Absolute heartbreaker.