Bands of America Austin Regional

Not sure if this should go in the preexisting thread announcing the existence of this contest, but BOA Austin schedules came out.

Venue: Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex (The Palace), same location as 5A Area/Region 26.

7:30 a.m TBA 
7:45 a.m Harlandale H.S., TX 
8:00 a.m Victoria West H.S., TX 
8:15 a.m Connally H.S., TX 
8:30 a.m Lyndon B. Johnson H.S., TX 
8:45 a.m East View H.S., TX 
9:00 a.m Lehman H.S., TX 
9:15 a.m Legacy H.S., TX 
9:30 a.m Pflugerville H.S., TX 

9:45 a.m Break 

10:00 a.m Sandra Day O'Connor H.S., TX 
10:15 a.m Byron P. Steele H.S., TX 
10:30 a.m Anderson H.S., TX 
10:45 a.m McNeil H.S., TX 
11:00 a.m Cedar Park H.S., TX 
11:15 a.m Wakeland H.S., TX 
11:30 a.m Vandegrift H.S., TX 
11:45 a.m Rouse H.S., TX 

12:00 p.m Break

12:30 p.m New Braunfels H.S., TX 
12:45 p.m James Bowie H.S., TX 
1:00 p.m Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX 
1:15 p.m Aledo H.S., TX 
1:30 p.m Edinburg H.S., TX 
1:45 p.m Leander H.S., TX 
2:00 p.m Vista Ridge H.S., TX 
2:15 p.m McCallum H.S., TX 

2:30 p.m Break 

2:45 p.m Birdville H.S., TX 
3:00 p.m Cedar Ridge H.S., TX 
3:15 p.m Lake Travis H.S., TX 
3:30 p.m Hidalgo H.S., TX
3:45 p.m Westwood H.S., TX 
4:00 p.m Round Rock H.S., TX 
4:15 p.m Westlake H.S., TX

Source: http://forums.bands.org/vb/showthread.php?44767-Bands-of-America-Austin-TX-Schedule-September-28-2013

Some extremely stacked competition will be going on. My school (Vista Ridge) got a pretty good time, fortunately. Good luck to all!

• 2 weeks later...

Additional rankings I've scraped up thus far:

11) Birdville

12) Vista Ridge

13) Westwood

From the stream (captions and top 10)

A:

Music - Hidalgo

Visual - Hidalgo

GE - Hidalgo

1) Hidalgo

AA:

Music - Aledo

Visual - Aledo

GE - Aledo

1) Aledo

2) 

3) East View

AAA:

Music - Vandegrift

Visual - Legacy

GE - Vandegrift

1) Vandegrift

2) Cedar Park

3) Anderson

AAAA:

Music - Claudia Taylor Johnson

Visual - James Bowie

GE - James Bowie

1) James Bowie

2) Claudia Taylor Johnson

3) Round Rock

Finalists (had Finals been held):

1) 84.50 - James Bowie

2) 84.15 - Claudia Taylor Johnson

3) 83.05 - Round Rock

4) 82.15 - Vandegrift

5) 81.45 - Cedar Park

6) 80.70 - Westlake

7) 80.05 - Anderson

8) 79.50 - Cedar Ridge

9) 79.20 - Legacy

10) 77.70 - Pflugerville

Music - Claudia Taylor Johnson

Visual - James Bowie

GE - James Bowie

Looks like the rain may have caused some interesting results in those recaps...especially interesting that Bowie took 9th in overall music and STILL won this competition.

I don't know...other than Aledo high school (the band that got suddenly poured on in the middle of their show), was it really ever raining during anyone else's performance? Other than maybe the wet field affecting visuals (which still seems to me like a negligible effect at best), I can't imagine how rain would have had anything to do with the oddities in the scores. Especially considering there was no finals contest, it could very well be that Bowie and Cedar Park just had exceptionally weak performances (as compared to their usual) while CTJ and Vandegrift had exceptionally strong performances.

Totally an option. Not blaming the rain for the results, but there are a few odd placements that are of course expected at any contest, especially one so early in the season. I'm not one to break down all the placements and isolate the oddities, but someone on here usually does  B)  And I don't think the rain would have effected performance as much as the delay caused some bands as well as the judges to be flexible. Really seemed like MFA handled the whole situation well though. Bummed there wasn't a finals!

Even though Bowie did score 9th in overall music, their ensemble score (which is generally what anyone in the stands hears) ranked 5th, after CTJ who always plays tough licks at a high level, and three LISD bands who are known for playing strong music very well. Even if it's a bit low for Bowie, they still did just fine. It's just how the game goes sometimes. There are bands that have won 3A (now 4A) captions and missed finals before, as well at least one band that has won Grand Nationals without winning a single caption. I really wouldn't read much into a "low" caption score in this point in the season, and I certainly wouldn't suggest rain caused the judges to be flexible about anything.

Despite the rain, it was a super day of marching band! I cannot emphasize enough how much I loved Bowie! GE: super - the brass buzzing on mouthpieces before it started is genius. Visual: stunning. Their interval spacing is just so good! Guard: magnificent. And, music: wow! Really wonderful precise technical woodwind playing throughout especially on the opening of Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. Just such great sounds from all sections. Adding this to my list of of my all-time favorite shows.

Couple of other gushes:

-Westlake was great, too! Really fun Venice-themed show. I loved the impromptu parade in the middle.

-Vista Ridge- huge improvement in just the few days since LISD Festival of Bands! I feel like they turned up the volume a ton. Probably also the best soloists and solis of the day, IMO. The violin solo makes me so happy!

-Vandegrift has the piece of he day that will not leave my head: Battle on the Ice by Prokofiev. So mesmirizingly beautiful.

Very true. Is it a bit strange that Bowie got ninth overall in music, behind many bands we may not have expected? I think it is to an extent. But is it strange how even after getting ninth in music, Bowie still won the whole contest? Definitely not. At the end of the day, they were without a doubt the favorite coming into this contest. I really wish we could have seen how things played out in a finals contest, but I suppose we'll just have to wait until Conroe. Now, if someone can manage to steal a caption from The Woodlands, I'll be genuinely impressed.

Despite the rain, it was a super day of marching band! I cannot emphasize enough how much I loved Bowie! GE: super - the brass buzzing on mouthpieces before it started is genius. Visual: stunning. Their interval spacing is just so good! Guard: magnificent. And, music: wow! Really wonderful precise technical woodwind playing throughout especially on the opening of Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. Just such great sounds from all sections. Adding this to my list of of my all-time favorite shows.

Couple of other gushes:

-Westlake was great, too! Really fun Venice-themed show. I loved the impromptu parade in the middle.

-Vista Ridge- huge improvement in just the few days since LISD Festival of Bands! I feel like they turned up the volume a ton. Probably also the best soloists and solis of the day, IMO. The violin solo makes me so happy!

-Vandegrift has the piece of he day that will not leave my head: Battle on the Ice by Prokofiev. So mesmirizingly beautiful.

Violin guy here, glad it makes you happy :)

Gonna power through the rest of the drill this week and then it's clean/extra spice time for us

High hopes for UIL this year

I just saw on the musicforall.org site that they are offering partial refunds for those who had tickets for BOA Austin due to the finals being cancelled.

Cooperative Tickets (issued to bands) - No refund

Day-Pass - $9 refund
Adult Finals Ticket - $17 refund
Military or Senior Finals Ticket - $14 refund
Student Finals Ticket - $10 refund

To request a refund, please send your name, address, and copy of your ticket to:

Music for All, Inc.
                  39 W. Jackson Place, Suite 150
                  Indianapolis, IN  46225

Alternatively, you may fax your request to 317.524.6200 or e-mail it to Info@musicforall.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
If you choose to donate the value of your ticket refund, please indicate this in your request.  Refund requests must be received by November 30, 2013 and will be processed by December 7, 2013

Info at
http://www.musicforall.org/blog/news/rainout-ticketing-policy-for-2013-texas-dairy-queen%C2%AE-bands-of-america-regional-at-austin-tx