19) 3:15 Sam Houston HS

20) 3:30 Richland HS

21) 3:45 Colleyville Heritage HS

22) 4:00 Boyd HS

23) 4:15 Bowie HS

24) 4:30 Plano East HS

25) 4:45 Trinity HS

5:00 Drum Major Retreat & Certification

Finals begin at 7:30. TCU performs at 10:00pm. After that, they will have the Drum Major retreat and announce who advances.

25 bands = 5 Advancing to State.

JUDGES:

Peter Warshaw

Tom Shine

Rick Yancey

Brian Merrill

Richard Crain

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

I love that there are five advancing, too. :)

Does anyone know why Plano Senior High and Plano West don't go to Area? Plano Sr. earned Sweepstakes and Plano West got two I's and one II. Just wondering. If I remember correctly, MANY years ago when I was in band, we went to UIL Region, got our sweepstakes and that was it. I don't remember even knowing about area competition. I'm not sure why we didn't go. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows why they aren't going. Thanks!

This Area is really top heavy, so having 5 bands advance to state is a nice bonus for this group. Just to get the ball rolling, I'll take a swing and predict a minor upset

Marcus

Hebron

Flower Mound

LD Bell

The FloMo show I saw last Saturday was cleaner than the LDB videos I've seen and just as big from a GE standpoint. Frankly, I can't really see LDB finishing 4th but that is where I would put them today.

I see the 5th spot being a dogfight between Haltom and Richland with PESH and Mansfield not far behind. I'll give the edge to Haltom because they have a very strong musical program and know how to compete at the state level. I won't be placing any wagers on that 5th spot, it's going to be tough.

These kids have all worked really hard--good luck to all!

Wow. That is an amazing judge panel: two Duncanville directors, a Spring Director (BOA employee), and a JJ Pearce director.

Although it does show online that Peter Warshaw is at JJ Pearce, he apparently is at Leander now. He was one of the judges last night at Region 5. :) I haven't checked to see if any of the other judges were at any of the other Area B Region contests. Would be interesting to see.

I'm not going to rank them by # because I feel some "shaking up" in the air. However, I will say who I think will advance to State:

In alpha order:

Flower Mound, Haltom, Hebron, LD Bell, Marcus

Hebron beat LD Bell two years ago to obtain 2nd place. There were no finals last time. In my humble opinion, Hebron's show is better this year than two years ago, so who knows what could happen?(especially since the weather looks wonderful and I believe there will be finals this time)

Flower Mound was 8th two years ago, but I have a friend who has a child in that band and I've heard great things about their show. This could be their year to make State.

Richland's show is interesting and, of course, full of talented kids, but it's a very young band. They actually had a bunch of kids quit or graduate. Last night, I saw errors in the color guard that I've never seen from Richland before, and that could be because about 10 or so graduated in May, including a girl I've known for about 10 years who was one of the best. So what might seem like minor oopsies in color guard seem larger when it comes to Richland. Is that fair? Not really. Again, I like their show. I have friends whose children are in that band. I would love to see them make it to State, and they are certainly on the bubble. I just don't know.

Haltom's show is much improved from PEMI. It was not perfect, but their sound and very fast drill are top notch. They also have a woodwind feature, with saxophones standing out, that is brilliant. With a few more "clean ups" they are definitely in the mix. Their show is very "UIL-ly" for lack of a better term. haha

That leaves LD Bell & Marcus, two bands we know will be in the top five. Won't it be interesting to see if they're #1 & #2 this time? This is going to be a great contest!

The FloMo show I saw last Saturday was cleaner than the LDB videos I've seen and just as big from a GE standpoint. Frankly, I can't really see LDB finishing 4th but that is where I would put them today.

I see the 5th spot being a dogfight between Haltom and Richland with PESH and Mansfield not far behind. I'll give the edge to Haltom because they have a very strong musical program and know how to compete at the state level. I won't be placing any wagers on that 5th spot, it's going to be tough

I still think LD Bell will be ready and finish 2nd, but it is a possibility that Flower Mound or Hebron could give them a run for their money depending on how well their shows play in a UIL format (at least this weekend, not so much in San Antonio). Also, I agree that Haltom will likely take that 5th spot. They just always seem to be geared more towards UIL than Richland and PESH.

This area is ridiculous. At least 4 of the bands that advance from this area could be state finalists. That's almost half of the finals spots at state...Jeez...

From the live stream I watched Saturday, seems that it will be an uphill battle for Richland to place in the top 5. Their show seemed a little too hard. As for Bell, they're know for power cleaning, so I hope to see them in the top 2, but their show is insane. Musically it doesn't seem to have the dynamic contrast that we're used to seeing from Bell (this may have just been the venue, but idk.) Visually, their show is extremely demanding(it really seems like on state years they're trying to push their limits drill-wise, I remember thinking that their 2010 looked difficult.)

From the live stream I watched Saturday, seems that it will be an uphill battle for Richland to place in the top 5. Their show seemed a little too hard.

In their defense, they didn't start cleaning until yesterday. Of course it's hard, but Sloan knows how and when to clean up the drill he writes. He took one 3-hr rehearsal yesterday, and the closer is spotless. I think there will be some surprise on Saturday in regards to Richland's performance quality.

I'm still rather stunned that Flower Mound did not advance to State, especially coming in so high in Prelims and they really gave that finals run their all.

I'm also rather stunned at the level of trash talk I overheard in the parking lot from a certain state advancing band's directors. One would hope that a program director would show more couth than what I witnessed while sitting in my car. I'm just glad my students weren't with me, they had an emotional enough night as it was.

I'm still rather stunned that Flower Mound did not advance to State, especially coming in so high in Prelims and they really gave that finals run their all.

I'm also rather stunned at the level of trash talk I overheard in the parking lot from a certain state advancing band's directors. One would hope that a program director would show more couth than what I witnessed while sitting in my car. I'm just glad my students weren't with me, they had an emotional enough night as it was.

Judging by the reaction of the crowd during the announcements Saturday night, I think many people were surprised by the FloMo result. If it is of any consolation, I think the Flower Mound show will play very favorably in San Antonio on Saturday.

We were stunned by Flower Mound not advancing, as well. I have a very good friend whose child is in the band there. I really enjoyed the show! I also believe that y'all will do great at BOA. Very talented group of kids. Hopefully, both Flower Mound and Haltom will be able to put knockout shows on the field this weekend. We wish y'all the very best!

Am also very saddened to hear that there was trash talk going on. We actually heard trash talk coming from students of one band to students of another(neither band advanced). Unfortunately, there are people who have zero compassion for others. I have heard comments from parents wishing certain bands would mess up even. My philosophy has always been that I want to see every band put their best show on the field every time. Who wants to "win" because a band that is possibly better came up short? Who wishes such things? Sad. Haltom had a "bad day" Saturday. It was rough, but they held their heads high and I'm very proud of them all. My daughter came away with the memory of a standing ovation after their performance(which is one reason why I stand for EVERY band). While she was heartbroken(it being her senior year), she was able to take a keepsake of that moment. That's what it's all about after all, making memories.

Again, wishing Flower Mound the very best at BOA SA! :)

And I want to wish all bands who advanced to State & those competing in competitions this weekend the very best! Safe travel for all, as well! Blessings!

Does anyone have the breakdown from this contest? It's fustrating that this was the only area that didn't post the full printout online!

I saw this posted in another thread:

Finals

Marcus - 5

Hebron - 13

Plano East - 21(?-I think)

LD Bell - 24

Richland - 25

Haltom - 26

Prelims

1 - Marcus - 1 3 1, 2 3 = 10

2 - Hebron - 2 1 2, 6 2 = 13

3 - Flower Mound - 3 5 6, 7 1 = 22