2012 Westlake Marching Festival

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westlake Finals Placements: Connally Dripping Springs-2nd Wagner -10th New Braunfels - 11th Vista Ridge Judson Hendrickson -5th O'Connor Anderson -3rd Round Rock-1st Lake Travis - I was distracted in the middle of the announcements but this is what I remember!

Lake Travis is 8th Conally is 9th Judson is 7th O'connor is 4th

Edited by A Band Nerd

Should have seen the show, might explain the score..... BTW: USSBA is now called USbands, changed names in Fall 2012,

Lol, in the BOA world a 95 is a score reserved only for Grand Nationals, a lot of times the National Champion. I don't know if Westlake uses BOA sheets (like some contests do), but a mid-October 95 is 100% score inflation.

Not to knock Round Rock's accomplishment; I'm sure they were great. I just refuse to believe a school is 5 points away from a perfect score half-way through the competition season.

Lol, in the BOA world a 95 is a score reserved only for Grand Nationals, a lot of times the National Champion. I don't know if Westlake uses BOA sheets (like some contests do), but a mid-October 95 is 100% score inflation.

Not to knock Round Rock's accomplishment; I'm sure they were great. I just refuse to believe a school is 5 points away from a perfect score half-way through the competition season.

As far as I know, Westlake Marching Festival does not use BOA sheets. Simply looking at the scores, I can totally see where you're coming from. That's kind of the same beef I've had with USSBA/USBands. We have to keep in mind that scores at these "local" contests are based on whatever the scoring sheets dictate and the competition at the show. Send Marcus out to the BOA Utah Regional, and they may come back with The Great Salt Lake strapped to their band trailer.

"LoL".....what is so funny? I refuse to believe that someone who apparently hasn't seen the show is so quick to make a scoring judgement half way through the season on a group of high school students who have worked hard to get that score.... Doesn't really matter who's score it is... It is their score none the less for that group of kids.. They earned it and should be allowed to enjoy it.

Wow...I sure hope round rock can feel the 'love' through all of that veiled smugness. Would sure hate for those kids to think that what they've accomplished thus-far was being even slightly denigrated.

You know...just sayin'....

I do not understand what you're trying to imply... are you saying that Round Rock is consisted of a bunch of snobby children that aren't mature enough to be able to handle a high position in the contest?

Because if so, you are horrendously mistaken.

Wow...I sure hope round rock can feel the 'love' through all of that veiled smugness. Would sure hate for those kids to think that what they've accomplished thus-far was being even slightly denigrated.

You know...just sayin'....

Let me be 100% clear: no one has any beef with Round Rock. All those kids did was show up and perform, and they're obviously very good at it. The Westlake Marching Festival is run by adults, and I think those adults scored them in a disingenuous manner (from the perspective of a fan who is used to the BOA world).

In the end, it doesn't really matter...it's just an arbitrary number put on paper, and the order of placements probably turned out how it should have, but you have to agree that scoring a 95 this weekend and then ending the season with an 86-91 (like RR probably will) in San Antonio doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, I don't think the kids care much about what anyone says so long as they have the camaraderie and sense of accomplishment that is derived from winning and just being in band. Or at least they shouldn't care. Anyone that does might be in band for the wrong reasons.

Edited by mellopwn1

I do not understand what you're trying to imply... are you saying that Round Rock is consisted of a bunch of snobby children that aren't mature enough to be able to handle a high position in the contest?

Because if so, you are horrendously mistaken.

I don't understand what you don't understand....did you read what I wrote and what I was replying to? My "dig" was not at Round Rock, it was at 'mellopwan' and 'Danpod' and the backhanded smugness that their implication of an inflated score implied.

Cool your jets 'ch1k3n123.' I saw Round Rock's show last night at Westlake and I know whereof I speak...

I don't understand what you don't understand....did you read what I wrote and what I was replying to? My "dig" was not at Round Rock, it was at 'mellopwan' and 'Danpod' and the backhanded smugness that their implication of an inflated score implied.

Cool your jets 'ch1k3n123.' I saw Round Rock's show last night at Westlake and I know whereof I speak...

I was simply explaining how to interpret a score that is five points from being perfect. Tons of factors go in to this. Different sheets/competition yields different results. There is no backhanded smugness here whatsoever. Round Rock kicked tons of booty this weekend, and they have the scores to prove it.

If you think I'm lying, you should probably listen to the Prelims performance of Round Rock from last year's BOA San Antonio Super Regional. The first person you hear screaming for Round Rock was me as they headed in to the tunnel at the end of their show. My staff can back me up on that.