Marching shows 2012-2013

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update to Bowie:

Music by Holst and Mussorgsky

To me, that translates to "The Planets" (hence the title, "Stellae Erannte) and "Pictures at an Exhibition"

Exciting exciting exciting.

Bowie is definitely the greatest question mark of the season. Potentially (although unlikely), they could be Regional, Super Regional, Area, State, and Grand National Champions. That is, IF they continue last year's momentum....and get lucky. Nevertheless, it's an exciting proposition B)

Update to Bowie:

To me, that translates to "The Planets" (hence the title, "Stellae Erannte) and "Pictures at an Exhibition"

Bowie is definitely the greatest question mark of the season. Potentially (although unlikely), they could be Regional, Super Regional, Area, State, and Grand National Champions. That is, IF they continue last year's momentum....and get lucky. Nevertheless, it's an exciting proposition B)

If they would pull that off, that would be pretty #### awesome. lol

Update to Bowie:

This isn't entirely true.

Yes, they are doing "The Planets" by Holst. However, the whole idea behind the show is to play the "Planets" themes with other music that SOUNDS like what Holst wrote. For example (and I'm not sure this is in the show), the theme from "Venus" would be played on top of Ravel's "Daphines and Chloe". I don't remember talking about "Pictures" when I met their Director, but I could have forgotten that part.

"It's the Planets. But it isn't the Planets."

• 2 weeks later...

I'll start doing a weekly report on panhandle region bands:

Updated Region 1, 16 shows:

Amarillo High School - Rhapsody in Blue, Blue Rhondo a la Turk, Blue Shades (Assuming it's a Blue Show...lol)

Canyon High School - Ballet Sacra

Frenship High School - Indivisible

Plainview High School - Gateways

Randall High School - Illusion

Band I see progressing a bunch - Caprock High School, their new dirctor has taken them from getting 3s to Division 1s the last two years. Also traveling to New Mexico to compete at ZIA based on their band calendar along with Canyon and I am hearing rumors about Randall as well (not confirmed), that makes three panhandle bands potentially going to that contest.

Went to the Mesquite Horn vs Duncanville football game last night. Mesquite Horn's show is entirely music from Mass Effect. I like the nod to using video game music, and it had some solid impact moments, but it was really really dark the entire time, even in the ballad.

Mass Effect? Cool! Did gamers complain about the ending too?

Mass Effect? Cool! Did gamers complain about the ending too?

Funny thing about that... They ended their show really oddly about half way through the closer right before a climax/resolution should have happened and then immediately without warning cut into their fight song.

It almost leaves me wondering if it wasn't planned that way as a tacit joke towards the game.

Funny thing about that... They ended their show really oddly about half way through the closer right before a climax/resolution should have happened and then immediately without warning cut into their fight song.

It almost leaves me wondering if it wasn't planned that way as a tacit joke towards the game.

HAHA!!! That's freaky. Give me a L4D show next.

• 2 weeks later...

O'Connor HS 2012

-Rain (Fitting since OC got drenched last year at Westlake, this year they get to make it rain:)

Music arranged by Daniel Montoya Jr.

Music from:

*Themes from The Passion, from The Passion of The Christ - John Debney

*Cloudburst - Eric Whitacre

*Escapade - Joseph T. Spaniola

*Singin' In The Rain - Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown

*Water Night - Eric Whitacre

*Aegean Festival Overture - Andreas Makris

*Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - Burt Bacharach & B.J. Thomas

*Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures) - The 5th Dimension