Lonestar Drumline Contest

Also, a potential competitor for next year will be Vandegrift. I really hope they decide to go to Lonestar next year: they placed just behind Cedar Park and Round Rock in percussion at VRMF. And their director is none other than the great Paul Pape: CP's director when they won standstill big time in 2009.

Truth. Pape is amazing. He led marching rehearsal one time my sophomore or junior year when he was still at Georgetown and his pace and teaching style was WAY more intense than what we were all used to with the rest of the staff. It's no wonder he was able to turn the kind of skill level that we've seen from the drumlines at pretty much every school he's been at. I imagine he'll be at Vandegrift for quite awhile and he'll be able to take that drumline to their limits and beyond. We should see great things from them in the future.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth. Pape is amazing. He led marching rehearsal one time my sophomore or junior year when he was still at Georgetown and his pace and teaching style was WAY more intense than what we were all used to with the rest of the staff. It's no wonder he was able to turn the kind of skill level that we've seen from the drumlines at pretty much every school he's been at. I imagine he'll be at Vandegrift for quite awhile and he'll be able to take that drumline to their limits and beyond. We should see great things from them in the future.

I completely forgot to mention his time at Georgetown. And yes, he went to Vandegrift just after they opened. I bet he wanted a fresh percussion program to work his magic with, and I really don't expect him going anywhere soon. Then again, I didn't expect him to leave Cedar Park right after one of their most successful seasons either.

I completely forgot to mention his time at Georgetown. And yes, he went to Vandegrift just after they opened. I bet he wanted a fresh percussion program to work his magic with, and I really don't expect him going anywhere soon. Then again, I didn't expect him to leave Cedar Park right after one of their most successful seasons either.

I believe his reasons for leaving were both the chance to start a new program and the chance to work with a great friend of his in Jeremy Spicer. He didn't expect to leave so soon either, but the circumstances just worked out that way. Having had him as a director, I can attest to what a fantastic teacher and motivator he his. Vandegrift drumline and the rest of the band will be a force in the future- just look at what they accomplished today in their third year!

In regards to Standstill vs. Marching- I've always marveled at how Marching lines learn an entire extra show for drumline competitions. It blows my mind that they have the time to do that and still be excellent in normal marching band. I wish WGI was more prominent in Texas, I find it incredibly interesting and exciting to watch, and I'd enjoy seeing more Texas groups, especially Texas High Schools, compete in Indoor Drumline.

In regards to Standstill vs. Marching- I've always marveled at how Marching lines learn an entire extra show for drumline competitions. It blows my mind that they have the time to do that and still be excellent in normal marching band. I wish WGI was more prominent in Texas, I find it incredibly interesting and exciting to watch, and I'd enjoy seeing more Texas groups, especially Texas High Schools, compete in Indoor Drumline.

Amen! That was what I tried to get across in my earlier posts! These drum line shows are absolutely amazing. The fact that these youngsters are learning two separate shows is a testament to how much the band programs have progressed since my days in the 80's. I get to watch my kid do that stuff now, and I am in awe of what each of those marching division drum lines put together. Good luck to all on Saturday. I will be there enjoying every minute of it!

Surprising bands/drumlines would mean surprising results! Really hoping for a good competition this year! This season was wild and i would love to see some of that for this competition!

I'm hoping for no change whatsoever in the Standstill 1- Silver division champion, but I think I'm a bit biased :)

Edited by drummerjoe

I'm hoping Fossil Ridge can finally beat Colleyville Heritage after these recent years. <_< Flower Mound and Marcus... Eh. We'll see in a few years. Haha.

Well Marcus is running the contest, so they don't actually compete, right? Plus they have a playoff game and all of the student volunteers from Marcus are leaving halfway through the contest. Found that out at the full retreat for BOA San Antonio :)

Does anyone know the results?

I know a bit off the top of my head.

Marching:

Colleyville - 1st

Lewisville - 2nd (There was a tie for first that was determined by execution score.)

Cant' remember the rest.

Standstill Silver:

Cedar Park - 1st

Plano East - 2nd

Round Rock - 3rd

Richland - 4th

Oak Ridge - 5th

Standstill Red

John Horn - 1st

Wylie- 2nd

McCallum - 3rd

Pflugerville - 4th

Mansfield - 5th

I didn't get to stay to hear the results for Standstill 2, we had to warm up for finals.

Edited by drummerjoe

Sorry Richland but Round Rock should've gotten the cymbal caption. Their visuals and music seemed a lot harder and was executed better. They had the best visuals out of all the groups in their division. They did things I haven't seen before. Those chicks also play some sick split stuff that no one else does. RR cymbals should've won hands down. No other line compared...period.

3 freshman? Pretty sick that they can play that stuff already.

Does the director teach them all that cool stuff?

Sorry Richland but Round Rock should've gotten the cymbal caption. Their visuals and music seemed a lot harder and was executed better. They had the best visuals out of all the groups in their division. They did things I haven't seen before. Those chicks also play some sick split stuff that no one else does. RR cymbals should've won hands down. No other line compared...period.

3 freshman? Pretty sick that they can play that stuff already.

Does the director teach them all that cool stuff?

There's a cymbal tech who was on the line previously and techs them daily. They are by far the most intense section on our drumline during rehearsals.

Congratulations to all the performers at Lone Star! I think every kid that participated is a WINNER no matter how their group placed. I am still amazed at what I saw out there. You all gave me more than my money's worth Saturday. Weird how the results of the marching portion turned out from prelims to finals. As a "band geek" vice percussionist, I could only base my rankings on how much I liked the themes and music.

I enjoyed seeing FloMo's Harry Potter and the Trains from Northwest the most. Colleyville Heritage's Fishing Expedition was fun to watch, as well. It seemed like Fossil Ridge's music resembled their Marching Band show. (Which I didn't think was special, since everyone else learned entirely different music for their drum line shows.) Lewisville, while it may have been tied for first, didn't get me going too much, especially odd considering it's theme: Motivate.

All in all, a great day and a night I will never forget! Thanks to all who participated.