Lonestar Drumline Contest

Congratulations to all the performers at Lone Star! I think every kid that participated is a WINNER no matter how their group placed. I am still amazed at what I saw out there. You all gave me more than my money's worth Saturday. Weird how the results of the marching portion turned out from prelims to finals. As a "band geek" vice percussionist, I could only base my rankings on how much I liked the themes and music.

I enjoyed seeing FloMo's Harry Potter and the Trains from Northwest the most. Colleyville Heritage's Fishing Expedition was fun to watch, as well. It seemed like Fossil Ridge's music resembled their Marching Band show. (Which I didn't think was special, since everyone else learned entirely different music for their drum line shows.) Lewisville, while it may have been tied for first, didn't get me going too much, especially odd considering it's theme: Motivate.

All in all, a great day and a night I will never forget! Thanks to all who participated.

http://box-six.com/showsWorld_Motivate.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I thought the link was to a video or something and it turns out to be a link where you can buy the show. And here I thought that the percussion directors all created their own shows. Naive? Sheltered maybe? Definitely new to this, for sure.

I don't say this to take away from what the kids have done with their show. They all do a wonderful job.

When I was in high school marching band in the late '80s, we had one director. He was assisted by the junior high school band director (but didn't have much influence on the show or the directing). The high school director wrote/arranged the music, wrote the drill, and taught us everything we did. ALL BY HIM SELF.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that here in DFW we have the $$$ to have a percussion director, and two or three (or more) other band directors at every school. But when we have staffs like this, shouldn't we expect them to design the productions on the field, whether for marching band or drum lines?

My two cents.

Wow! I thought the link was to a video or something and it turns out to be a link where you can buy the show. And here I thought that the percussion directors all created their own shows. Naive? Sheltered maybe? Definitely new to this, for sure.

I don't say this to take away from what the kids have done with their show. They all do a wonderful job.

When I was in high school marching band in the late '80s, we had one director. He was assisted by the junior high school band director (but didn't have much influence on the show or the directing). The high school director wrote/arranged the music, wrote the drill, and taught us everything we did. ALL BY HIM SELF.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that here in DFW we have the $$$ to have a percussion director, and two or three (or more) other band directors at every school. But when we have staffs like this, shouldn't we expect them to design the productions on the field, whether for marching band or drum lines?

My two cents.

For programs like the competitive ones in Texas, it is too much of a job to both write the program and direct it. Writers are hired and the band directors perfect the performing.

And here I thought that the percussion directors all created their own shows.

My two cents.

A commissioned piece is custom fit to the original group and if successful, sold as a guide map for other directors to base their show on. There is always some thinning out of rhythms/notes/harmonies, time editing, re-writing for 4 basses instead of 5 throughout the season. All of which takes skill and extensive training. So it's not exactly copy and paste.

I agree that perhaps band directors aren't as well rounded as they used to be but a lot of band directors have kids and are too busy/aren't inclined to write though they have the training. My HS drumline tech wrote our music every year and he also writes for 8-10 other high schools every year. He doesn't have kids.. lol And having techs and and assistant directors allows for more music jobs, and students should theoretically get more feedback making for a better show.

$$$ seems to have something to with quality indeed.

Edited by G'townPIT

I think the small school directors would agree with you, especially the many "one-man-shows" in small towns where you have 1 (ONE!) director teaching ALL music band or otherwise, K-12...my heart goes out to them...But I think you answered your own question; if you have the money then why not use it? Or....if you have the power...then more power to you.

• 11 months later...