2011 BOA San Antonio

Has anybody heard anything about Spring? I'm wondering if they're going to have a shot at finals.

If they end up being as good or better than they were last year (and I fully expect that they will, since it's a nationals year for them), they'll make finals at both BOA San Antonio and BOA Grand Nationals. Now, if they've taken an unexpected dip in quality or are really struggling with a difficult show, then they might have a problem.

Edited by Rubisco

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's seems odd for a program that is that successful. I guess they want to keep their show a secret maybe? We'll find out Friday/Saturday.

I'm no entirely positive about this, but I think I remember hearing that their homecoming was the night of BOA Houston and they tried to attend Lone Star Preview, but it filled up so they got wait-listed. Despite whether that's true or not, I'm very excited to see them this weekend!!!!

Reserved seating used to be the way to go to get the best vantage point, as good seats in the General Admission section required getting a good place in line early enough to ensure the best seats. Is this still the case? I'm driving down from Austin post- Tech v. Texas, so I know I'm angling for the Upper deck seating myself.

Hey if you see about 8 buses and a semi on your way to San Antonio after the Tech vs. Texas game be sure to wave. The Goin' Band will be leaving after the game to get to San Antonio too!

Hey if you see about 8 buses and a semi on your way to San Antonio after the Tech vs. Texas game be sure to wave. The Goin' Band will be leaving after the game to get to San Antonio too!

Don't hang your heads too low after the loss :D

I kid, I kid. I have no idea who will win the game. I'll just say I've seen too many losses over the past few weeks to stomach one more. B)

I think that despite their absence from competitive marching band thus far in 2011, Spring will make a strong finish both here at San Antonio and in Indianapolis. Based on past performance and the fact that they will have the extra drive of returning to nationals to rehash their iconic 1993 championship show will give them the edge required to make the middle of finals on Saturday and most likely break top 12 next week.

Hmmmm...they've had that extra drive since 1993 and even that blanket of secrecy (though when they last went it was a UIL 5A State year). Was it 2002? Anyone else remember Spring has Sprung? <_<

Hopefully this year will not be a repeat of what I think can only be looked back on as a bit of a tragic show concept with way too many moving parts (worst use of tarps ever?) to take off successfully. I for one wax nostalgic over the 90's Spring marching band, so I would love to see them be successful.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that Tech will be performing in exhibition at the conclusion of Saturday's finals bands.

It looks like you're correct. The daily schedule for Saturday shows the UT-Arlington band performing at

3:45pm after prelims, and the Texas Tech band performing at 10:45pm after finals.

The top 14 bands, regardless of which day they perform in prelims, will advance to finals.

Yep. Can't imagine doing it the other way...forcing the judges to pick seven from Friday and seven from Saturday. That would be unfair. Just saying seven and seven, though, makes one realize how small finals actually is...IDK why but 14 finalists sounds like a lot to me.. but when you break it down, it's really not all that many bands.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! Looks like the weather(for practice and all that walking lol) will be wonderful! Safe travel, everyone!

Yep. Can't imagine doing it the other way...forcing the judges to pick seven from Friday and seven from Saturday. That would be unfair. Just saying seven and seven, though, makes one realize how small finals actually is...IDK why but 14 finalists sounds like a lot to me.. but when you break it down, it's really not all that many bands.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! Looks like the weather(for practice and all that walking lol) will be wonderful! Safe travel, everyone!

Well in a way that makes sense. It would give less of a disadvantage to those performing on Friday. Usually if a band performs early, they will score lower than they should compared to other bands.