2011 BOA San Antonio

I was at the contest and would have place Round Rock at 11th or 12th in finals. They didn't have as big or balanced of a sound. They didn't march as well.

You ALWAYS place Round Rock lower than they should be. I bet if McNeil had that last finals spot (instead of 39th) then you would have ranked them in the top five just behind Cedar Park and put Round Rock fourteenth.

All the bands were just great. My favorite show was Cedar Park because they didn't need props or fancy things to be good. I was very impressed with Churchill's and Marcus' Drumline on the move. Round Rock's Drumline was the most impressive standing still. I thought. Bowie sound just blew me away.

Hey wanna learn something cool? Other drumlines stand still too. It's called a HOLD. In fact, Round Rock has fewer holds than most of the other bands at that competition. I just took a count: Round Rock drumline has a total of 6 holds, which include just 7 sets of their ~100 set show. And in one of those holds, they aren't even playing: it's during the Ballad! So please stop ragging on our drumline for only standing still (as if it's even a big deal!) and start recognizing what's actually going on.

Whenever the McNeil drumline starts playing some of the notes Round Rock does (I'll even let y'all try it standing still) then I'll start considering your comments as legitimate. Until then, please stop underrating the Round Rock Band/Drumline.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the Round Rock kids would stop trolling these forums. This thread has turned into "If you don't like THE ROCK BAND then we will call you out and make you feel terrible!"

It's called "We know him in person and he goes out of his way to rag on the RRHS Band/Drumline"

Plus, shmeh and I are the only two Round Rock students who have replied to him. All the others are just people who have noticed his liking of McNeil and hatred of Round Rock in the past.

Edited by drummerjoe

Marcus 4th in Music Performance Ensemble!

Marcus 7th in Visual Performance Ensemble!

Marcus 5th in Music General Effect!

Edit: I cannot believe those numbers. That doesn't match up at all with what I saw/heard. Thank you, Marcus for giving me an awesome experience from seeing your show!

I second that. I almost agree with their overall placement, and I admit it's nice to see a bit of a shakeup, but unless the live performance was entirely different in a completely dramatic way from the webcast....what? those Vanity Fair runs were some of the best technical passages I've ever heard on a marching field, let alone at this competition. How on earth did they miss the music caption?

I second that. I almost agree with their overall placement, and I admit it's nice to see a bit of a shakeup, but unless the live performance was entirely different in a completely dramatic way from the webcast....what? those Vanity Fair runs were some of the best technical passages I've ever heard on a marching field, let alone at this competition. How on earth did they miss the music caption?

It was just by 0.2

I didn't get to see either show, but the recaps are posted. The link is posted in this thread previously.

Just a few things:

In the three years I've been "involved" with marching band, this was Haltom's best show, and, I think, the lowest we've placed at BOA...so strange. Thank you, Daniel Sanchez, for your comments -- being surprised Haltom didn't make finals, etc. -- I assure you, the kids read them and it really helped boost their spirits. And a quote from one of our students: "When they announced the 14 finalists, and we weren't on it, I realized something...What matters is that we know we did our best and tried our hardest, not what 8 people think about it..." Haltom put their hearts out on that field yesterday, and I sat amazed and enthralled by such an awesome performance. In the end, it's how you FELT about your performance that matters the most...and that goes for every band in the competition yesterday and Friday. It's hard to make judgments on anyone, knowing that every band student played with everything they have, after grueling practices and such.

Finally, Haltom dedicated their show in the memory of someone that this senior class is the last of the students to have known and remember. You, Pride of Haltom, made him proud yesterday. There truly is a "promise of living." Seniors: You will be missed next year -- more than you know!

On a side note: I wish the best for those who were injured yesterday, both students and parents. There was some crazy stuff going on. Also, congrats to the Air Academy -- any band traveling that far deserves some props, and you did well!!

Congrats to all the bands. Hope you have a great concert season! :)

Edited by HHSBandMom225

It was just by 0.2

I didn't get to see either show, but the recaps are posted. The link is posted in this thread previously.

Oh. I see...those recaps confuse me even more.. Music Ensemble 4th? I can kind of understand the music GE, cause GE has always been kind of murky, but that music ensemble score. I saw everybody via webcast. I agree completely with Bell's win. They put on a fantastic show. I can also understand an overall placement of the Woodlands above Marcus yesterday, via GE. Marcus's visual was fantastic as ever, but Bell's was better, and the Woodlands was just as good, perhaps better than Marcus's.

The two things that are really distressing me here are the music and visual ensemble captions. I cannot understand a judge placing Marcus almost an entire point behind Bell in the former, nor can I understand a judge placing Marcus half a point behind the Woodlands and more than a point behind Bell in the latter.

On another note, finals yesterday was a FANTASTIC set of performances, and I really enjoyed watching what all of these bands had to offer. I still have Beethoven's 7th stuck in my head after hearing the Woodland's take on it, and the Circle's Edge might just be my favorite Bell show ever. A lot of bands really brought it in a good way, and that finals set was well worth the time and money I spent to watch it.

Edited by NewMexicoBandsman

I would just like to say I am glad to see more of the Austin-area bands getting out of the "small pond" and going out and competing with the "big boys."

Congrats to Akins, Anderson, Bowie, Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Crockett, Leander, McNeil, Pflugerville, Rouse, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge, Westlake, and Westwood for their performances at the three BOA Regionals this year!

Interesting... I just went through recaps from San Antonio for this year and last year... Bowie has won a caption in finals 2, then placed 3rd.

On another note, this was my first time to actually watch ALL of finals from a spectator seat, but from what I remember of other years, this was by far the best I have ever seen. Absolutely fantastic. I was incredibly impressed with every single band! Great job!

Edited by Iheartband

So I think we can all agree its time to stop talking about the decline of Churchill and get excited for their future? I think theyre definitely headed in the right direction now, and with a higher Music Performance score than SFA and Johnson its kind of hard to dispute that, especially considering Churchill had to go right after Marcus for finals and the crowd can be a little hard to impress after they put on a show.

Also, it felt like Round Rock came out of nowhere! Im really excited as a spectator to see the playing field levelling off and making room for all kinds of up and coming bands like Legacy, Anderson, Plano East, Round Rock, and a dozen others. Finalists are getting more and more difficult to predict and I couldnt be happier.

I agree wholeheartedly; and well said, by the way.

Interesting... I just went through recaps from San Antonio for this year and last year... Bowie has won a caption in finals 2, then placed 3rd.

On another note, this was my first time to actually watch ALL of finals from a spectator seat, but from what I remember of other years, this was by far the best I have ever seen. Absolutely fantastic. I was incredibly impressed with every single band! Great job!

Yes, a great finals. I believed the announcer referred to is as the other grand nationals.

I set about fourth row and I did not think that LD Bell should have won music.

Marcus sounded great and I thought they were going to win.

Now I admire LD Bell's drill because it is so challenging but from my vantage points it just looked like color guard and band running around, there was so much going on.

Claudia Taylor sounded a lot better this week than at Conroe.

I set about fourth row and I did not think that LD Bell should have won music.

Marcus sounded great and I thought they were going to win.

Now I admire LD Bell's drill because it is so challenging but from my vantage points it just looked like color guard and band running around, there was so much going on.

Claudia Taylor sounded a lot better this week than at Conroe.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I thought I'd point something out.

I had to watch the competition on the livecast thing and Marcus' show just felt off especially music wise. They still did really well, but some parts didn't sound as clean as the stuff Marcus puts out there. I watched both prelims and finals and prelims seemed more 'on' to me. (I could be wrong)

Random note, is this the first BOA SA that Marcus didn't medal since 04?

This is probably the best BOA SA finals that I have seen! All of the shows were so awesome!

CTJ rocked it! I'm excited to see them and the Woodlands compete at BOA G'nats.

I am especially proud of RR and Anderson. They seem to be climbing the latter with last years state appearances and this years BOA finals appearances.

Edited by whitewing09

I was at the contest and would have place Round Rock at 11th or 12th in finals. They didn't have as big or balanced of a sound. They didn't march as well.

Round Rock Marched and played extremely well...just not better than 6 of the finals bands in my opinion

there were lots of bands in prelims that i thought marched and played well...may not have bad as expensive of a show...but they placed really low.

In my opinion the placements (based on how well the groups marched and played and not based on props and electronics and such) should have been

1 - Bowie

2 - LD Bell

3 - Marcus

4 - CT Johnson

5 - Cedar Park

6 - The Woodlands

7 - Churchill

8 - Stephen F. Austin

9 - Richland (Their marching was much better than most of the other finals bands...i thought they deserved much higher)

10 - Anderson (I was really impressed with this band)

11 - Round Rock

12 - Flower Mound

13 - Reagan

14 - Spring

Just what i wrote down while i was watching things.

All the bands were just great. My favorite show was Cedar Park because they didn't need props or fancy things to be good. I was very impressed with Churchill's and Marcus' Drumline on the move. Round Rock's Drumline was the most impressive standing still. I thought. Bowie sound just blew me away.

Does anyone know what the penalties were for that bands received in prelims?

haters gonna hate....

I would just like to say I am glad to see more of the Austin-area bands getting out of the "small pond" and going out and competing with the "big boys" on a constant basis.

Congrats to Akins, Anderson, Bowie, Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Crockett, Leander, McNeil, Pflugerville, Rouse, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge, Westlake, and Westwood for their performances at the three BOA Regionals this year!

I want to add my congratulations for the austin area bands as well. Back in my day (late 80's), it was always Crockett and whoever else happened to be really good that year. These days, Austin has so many top quality band programs that we are hanging with the "big boys".

I want to add an additional shout out to my alma mater Anderson High. First they placed 17th last year in their first ever state marching contest appearance and now they finish 11th a BOA Super Regional contest that featured a lot of Texas' best bands. I'm so excited about where this band is going.

Edited by bchorn

Am I the only one thinking round rock is becoming the old cedar park of this forum? So many defensive band kids

I just got a bit frustrated because I know Maverickband15 in person. I've always been nice to him and said good things about McNeil, but he lacks respect for the program at Round Rock.

Also, it's my senior year and we've just had the most successful band season in recent years and the greatest final marching season for me. It ticks me off to see someone trying to tell us we didn't deserve our placement.

I think something that will be interesting to watch will be how Round Rock High School Band fares at BOA. Round Rock really excels under the UIL style judging and contests like Capital City and Westlake, but haven't had much luck on the BOA stage because of the style show they play to. In my opinion they are not gonna place well at BOA SA but only time will tell
Edited by bonezownz