Who would you like to see win 4A State this year?

I'd like Waxahachie. Rich has been doing great work with taking a program essentially from the ground up here and has done amazing work the past 9(10?) years. For those who don't know, Waxhachie's director, Rich Armstrong, was the head drum major for the Cadets in the 80's, winning World Finals with them several times, then going on the work for them, and later the Blue Devils as he aged out. Waxhachie made State Finals in '09 as the smallest 4A band to ever do so, and almost beat Coppell at the Duncanville Marching Invitational. I think it would be very on-track for them to win State with the rapid improvement they've seen every year, I just hope they haven't burned out. We know they can play, they're the Honor Band, beating out the likes of Dripping Springs for it, and they've been steadily eating into Duncanville's numbers at All Region band. What we don't know is if their marching and guard work will be up to snuff. Who knows?

A link to their most recent preformance can be found here:

http://youtu.be/vVzyGqDi_m0

All that said, though, if Waxahachie does not win State, I would very much like Dripping Springs to make a repeat performance, as I think their show concept this year is brilliant.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like Waxahachie. Rich has been doing great work with taking a program essentially from the ground up here and has done amazing work the past 9(10?) years. For those who don't know, Waxhachie's director, Rich Armstrong, was the head drum major for the Cadets in the 80's, winning World Finals with them several times, then going on the work for them, and later the Blue Devils as he aged out. Waxhachie made State Finals in '09 as the smallest 4A band to ever do so, and almost beat Coppell at the Duncanville Marching Invitational. I think it would be very on-track for them to win State with the rapid improvement they've seen every year, I just hope they haven't burned out. We know they can play, they're the Honor Band, beating out the likes of Dripping Springs for it, and they've been steadily eating into Duncanville's numbers at All Region band. What we don't know is if their marching and guard work will be up to snuff. Who knows?

A link to their most recent preformance can be found here:

http://youtu.be/vVzyGqDi_m0

All that said, though, if Waxahachie does not win State, I would very much like Dripping Springs to make a repeat performance, as I think their show concept this year is brilliant.

While the drill is very slow paced and not all that complicated, that doesn't matter as much in UIL. Their music is unexpectedly good, I have to admit.....some nice mellophone stuff in there B) I can't really comment on their competitiveness because I haven't seen many other 4A shows, though :/

While the drill is very slow paced and not all that complicated, that doesn't matter as much in UIL. Their music is unexpectedly good, I have to admit.....some nice mellophone stuff in there B) I can't really comment on their competitiveness because I haven't seen many other 4A shows, though :/

I would like to see Friendswood win. They have gotten second three times now ('03, '05, '09). There was a little bit of controversy in 2009 over one of the music judges, who happened to be a substitute.

I would like to see Friendswood win. They have gotten second three times now ('03, '05, '09). There was a little bit of controversy in 2009 over one of the music judges, who happened to be a substitute.

This will probably sound odd, because I was involved with the Poteet Band for 4 years, but I would not mind seeing Friendswood win it either. They have a quality program, and have come so close. They deserve to have their time soon. Dripping Springs is a quality program also. I think Poteet may be a bit down this year, but they will always give their best effort

I would really like to see Frisco Wakeland HS win state, I think they're really a force to be reckoned with, I mean the school opened in 2006 and in 2009 they placed 4th at State, then the next year they finish as runner up honor band behind Waxahachie. Great things are going over there (I'm not trying to say they aren't happening anywhere else) and I'd like to see them get some attention.

Here's a link to their 2011 Production entitled "The Midas Touch",

http://www.youtube.com/user/wakelandband?f...u/0/3MjVY0W6dNg

The show starts around 1:50

This is Mansfield Summits first year competing in 4A. Good Luck to them!!!

Summit will really put up quite a fight at the Area B contest!! They play well for a band their size, and their marching technique is really good too! I was amazed at what I saw last year at the Frisco Centennial contest.

Edited by Zdafoe

I guess when I watched the video I must have dreamed up the 160+ tempos, all the rotating blocks that maintain shape (curved path), the long rotating lines, multiple things going on at once, and a music book that will most likely stand up to even the best in 5A. Or do you not consider any of that complicated or difficult? I've been around marching band for almost 15 years, competed in 4A when I was in high school, have worked with 5A UIL and BOA top 3 bands, and what I just watched will eventually be in the upper echelon of 4A shows when it's cleaned up and refined with GE additions. What I'm not sure about at the moment is if the band can totally sell the visual package. I guess we'll find out in a little over a month.

And to the OP: What I remember from the score recaps of last year's DMI was Coppell clearly earning 1st place, with Richland, Waxahachie, and College Park fighting for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, which was the order they finished in.

To Zdafoe: Wakeland was most definitely not the runner up for Honor Band. That was Southwest, followed by Liberty, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, Pierce, and then Wiley. If I remember correctly, Wakeland was knocked out of the running at Area.

Edited by aaron067

Its exciting to see an unknown show up and blow everyone away. I remember how in 09 everyone wanted to see Poteet get their 3rd, then Dripp came in and won the gold; I dont think anyone saw that coming, even Dripp was surprised. Its all about how you march and play during that last performance...

I'd like to see Dripping Springs repeat. I started to follow them after their state championship performance in 09 and I like the direction they're headed in. I'm a huge fan of Shastakovich so that is a plus. And I would like to see them overcome the whole Cedar Park is going to destroy everybody and become the next 4A dynasty.

In a side note my next two would be Waxahacie and then Frisco Wakeland!

To Zdafoe: Wakeland was most definitely not the runner up for Honor Band. That was Southwest, followed by Liberty, Cedar Park, Dripping Springs, Pierce, and then Wiley. If I remember correctly, Wakeland was knocked out of the running at Area.

I apologize, I spoke to quickly..Wakeland was runner up honor band in 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
I would really like to see Cedar Park win the title. They been one of my favorites since I first saw them at Area D in 2004 (Wow I'm getting old). I would very much like to see an Area D domination with CP, Dripping Springs, Vandegrift, and Hendrickson (sp?) at State.

That seems to be a very strong group. Is the state competition before or after BOA SA?

I see that Lake Travis scored well at Westlakes. Do yall think they have a chance at making state?

Although it's still early to make this call, Area D is looking like...

Cedar Park

Vandegrift

Dripping Springs

Hendrickson

Lake Travis

Isn't it ridiculous that Connally is left off the outside looking in?? Lake Travis made an unbelievably stacked area even scarier.

All these bands have been fantastic this season.

My personal favorite shows for 4A that I've seen are definitely Mansfield Timberview and Newman Smith.

I have always loved Hendrickson and Dripping Springs. I would love to see them take the top spot.

I will throw this thought out there:

Frisco Centennial Placed 2nd at their competition this weekend, beating out power house 5A Bands Hebron, Sachse, Haltom AND Rowlett. They placed 2nd overall in music, falling behind the 5A honor band, Hebron. I think they may be a force to be reckoned with this season for sure.

Based on what the results showed last night, looks like these guys will make some noise:

Dawson - Beat Claudia Taylor Johson in prelims and 05, 07, AND 09 state silver medalist Friendswood.

Boswell - Beat out Argyle in finals and Aledo in HEB prelims.

Frisco Centennial - Beat Hebron, Sachse, Haltom and Rowlett.

Vandegrift - Beat Cedar Park, Reagan, Round Rock, Westlake, and Lake Travis.

Yes UIL is judged differently, but those are some pretty BIG victories.