2010 UIL State

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas Morning News article on the contest with a credit to txbands.com:

Six local high schools emerged among the top 10 in Texas to qualify for tonight's Class 5A state marching band contest.

Also Online Dallas-Fort Worth's powerhouse marching bands vie today for 5A state title

Link: TxBands.com

In all, 36 high school groups gathered at the Alamodome in San Antonio today for the biennial competition. The preliminaries ran all day, with 10 finalists announced at 6 p.m. According to txbands.com, which is live-blogging the event, the finalists included: Richardson Berkner, Coppell, Flower Mound Marcus, Hebron, Hurst L.D. Bell and Duncanville.

According to the site, the other finalists are: The Woodlands, Spring, Austin Westlake and Austin Bowie.

The finals start at 8:15 p.m.

Marcus will be seeking its third-consecutive state title, while L.D. Bell and Duncanville are perennial top finishers. North Texas has dominated the competition in recent years, winning every state title since 2000.

And another local group is the champion in Class 3A. Argyle High School won the title on Monday at the Alamodome, easily crushing all its competition.

Nothing better than 5A state finals, it's the only time a band has to be perfect to make finals, and better than perfect to come home a champion..Gotta Love seeing kids leave it all on the field for an art that they love.

Yes I put this in the live blog as well!! I loved this entire week here in the Alamo City...Doesn't get any better than this

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 1 1 1 2 1 6

2 Bell HS, Hurst 4 4 2 1 2 13

3 Duncanville HS, Duncanville 2 6 4 4 9 25

4 Bowie HS, Austin 5 3 7 5 5 25

5 Coppell HS, Coppell 3 5 9 3 6 26

6 Hebron HS, Carrollton 8 2 5 7 7 29

7 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 9 8 3 8 3 31

8 Berkner HS, Richardson 7 7 8 6 4 32

9 Spring HS, Spring 6 10 6 9 10 41

10 Westlake HS, Austin 10 9 10 10 8 47

Darn Bowie lost out on 3rd. Congrats to all!

Edited by Inso Box

1 Marcus HS, Flower Mound 1 1 1 2 1 6

2 Bell HS, Hurst 4 4 2 1 2 13

5 Coppell HS, Coppell 3 5 9 3 6 26

6 Hebron HS, Carrollton 8 2 5 7 7 29

7 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands 9 8 3 8 3 31

8 Berkner HS, Richardson 7 7 8 6 4 32

9 Spring HS, Spring 6 10 6 9 10 41

10 Westlake HS, Austin 10 9 10 10 8 47

Darn Bowie lost out on 3rd. Congrats to all!

So how did they break the tie?

Looks like Judge's Preference. Three judges had Duncanville ranked higher than Bowie.

That's correct.

If you take just those two bands and re-rank them, they become:

1 2 1 1 2 = 7 = Duncanville

2 1 2 2 1 = 8 = Bowie

I would like to give a big thank you to the Marcus band mother that we keep meeting year after year at Lulu's Bakery and Cafe on Main St just north of Downtown San Antonio. You didn't need to pay for our dinners, but thank you so very much for doing so!

And for those of you who have never been to Lulu's, you're missing out! Don't let the sketchy neighborhood and motel surroundings scare you off. The food is fantastic and there is TONS of it. Man vs Food even ate the 3 pound cinnamon roll.

http://www.luluscafeinsa.com/

Also, i'm curious if someone could rank the 5A areas. From what I've read on here, it seems like B is on the top and G is on the bottom. not sure about in between.

Now I get to answer my own question.

Average prelim rankings by region.

Region Rank

B 6

C 8

D 12

F 16

E 22

A 30

G 30

I'm a numbers guy, so I summed the scores from prelims and finals to see how the combined pool of 10 judges would have placed them, and surprisingly the top 10 order is identical to the prelims order.

Marcus (14)

Bell (35)

Coppell (52)

Hebron (56)

Duncanville (60)

Bowie (62)

Woodlands (70)

Berkner (85)

Spring (95)

Westlake (102)

And as always, looks like prelims results were everywhere!! Won't complain though, as I think it's a pretty solid finals lineup.

And before everyone complains about these results, it looks like no one was really "screwed over" by the system. Looks like Marcus is pretty set to win this thing again, although I think there will be a pretty big mix up of the rest of the placements. Should be exciting as always!

On a side note, I will never understand how Westlake manages to draw such amazing slots. 3rd to last in prelims and 3rd to last in finals. Same story in '08 if I remember correctly.

Really?? Check out Keller scores from Marching judges.... 9 & 33.

I'm a numbers guy, so I summed the scores from prelims and finals to see how the combined pool of 10 judges would have placed them, and surprisingly the top 10 order is identical to the prelims order.

Marcus (14)

Bell (35)

Coppell (52)

Hebron (56)

Duncanville (60)

Bowie (62)

Woodlands (70)

Berkner (85)

Spring (95)

Westlake (102)

That actually isn't surprising at all. In fact, the reason for this is the exact same reason for using rankings instead of scores.

In prelims, the judges ranked these bands more widely apart. Notice that some of the finalist bands had prelims rankings on the order of 17 from a judge. This wider range than what is possible during Finals causes the Prelims rankings to loosely dominate the Finals rankings if you put them together, so adding them will always produce a result that is closer to the prelims results than the finals results.

That actually isn't surprising at all. In fact, the reason for this is the exact same reason for using rankings instead of scores.

In prelims, the judges ranked these bands more widely apart. Notice that some of the finalist bands had prelims rankings on the order of 17 from a judge. This wider range than what is possible during Finals causes the Prelims rankings to loosely dominate the Finals rankings if you put them together, so adding them will always produce a result that is closer to the prelims results than the finals results.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Good point. I'm the statitician, you're the analyst! :)

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Good point. I'm the statitician, you're the analyst! :)

I think your ranking for all 10 judges is incorrect. You need to re-rank the prelims with only those 10 bands that made finals. So Coppell's 17 in prelims would be a 10 - having the highest number from all finalist from prelim scores.

1. Marcus (14)

2. Bell (31)

3. Coppell (45)

4. Bowie (52)

5. Hebron (53)

6. Duncanville (55)

7. The Woodlands (62)

8. Berkner (72)

9. Spring (78)

10. Westlake (88)

I think your ranking for all 10 judges is incorrect. You need to re-rank the prelims with only those 10 bands that made finals. So Coppell's 17 in prelims would be a 10 - having the highest number from all finalist from prelim scores.

Yes, that would definitely solve the weak domination problem of Prelims over Finals.

Odd, though, to see that Duncanville was 5th in Prelims and 3rd in Finals, yet 6th if you add them both together. I guess I need to check out how that works.

A big difference, but even with a 9/9 from the visual judges, Keller still would've missed finals. So no one got screwed over in the sense that if one judge hadn't been so off, they would've made finals.

Agreed, but my point was focused on glaring disparities that significantly impacted the overall rankings.....independent of qualifying for finals.