2010 UIL State

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to make the same point in regards to Hebron -- Nike's "My Better is Better Than Your Better" commercial comes to mind.

What's with all the hype surrounding Coppell?? The way people talk about them, I almost feel like I'm watching/listening to a completely different band. Not trying to be rude, I just don't get what the big deal is :huh:

Musically, Coppell has an EXTREMELY gifted program, easily one of the best in the state. The hype is more regarding Coppell's playing on the field rather than their marching. Marching-wise, in past years they have been known for not having the most challenging drills, but they perfected them. This year, however, their drill is much harder than they have had before, and they're working twice as hard to get it as clean as they have been able to before, while maintaining their musical ability.

Coppell was not at all satisfied with their area performance. The kids watched the video of their performance before hearing results, and were convinced that they had not made it to state.

If you want a better idea of Coppell's talent this year, you should watch their UIL region performance. It was a much better and cleaner show.

I don't know -- while I find that Coppell is very clean, I don't see why their musical book is so easy. Maybe it'ts just me, but I think that if their drill was more challenging, I'd be more impressed with their playing. As it stands, I can't say that I'm impressed with a big 5A marching so slow in order to be clean.

Of course, I find that to be the case with most 5As. It seems that a lot of the top programs in Texas are playing the UIL game -- by which I mean focusing more on the musical element with the visual element as more of an afterthought. There's a lot of good bands that produce fantastic shows in this manner, but I guess it just isn't appealing to me.

I don't know -- while I find that Coppell is very clean, I don't see why their musical book is so easy. Maybe it'ts just me, but I think that if their drill was more challenging, I'd be more impressed with their playing. As it stands, I can't say that I'm impressed with a big 5A marching so slow in order to be clean.

Of course, I find that to be the case with most 5As. It seems that a lot of the top programs in Texas are playing the UIL game -- by which I mean focusing more on the musical element with the visual element as more of an afterthought. There's a lot of good bands that produce fantastic shows in this manner, but I guess it just isn't appealing to me.

Of Coppell's 5 part show, 4 parts go at a minimum of 120 BPM. Their show is challenging this year, with extremely challenging music. Both their drill and music are harder than they were in 2008.

When it comes down to it, I think Duncanville will beat Coppell in music, based on both of their performances at UIL Region (I wasn't able to be at Area). Both groups have difficult music, but I think (and this is me talking as an education student, not a Duncanville grad) Duncanville is simply executing it better. But being inside that dome changes everything. We'll just have to see!

Edited by Kate

When it comes to Coppell, there is also something to be said about tradition and consistency. I'm not sure how long you've followed band in the state of Texas, but there are a handful of programs that have been consistent finalists at UIL contests for the last decade or two. In my opinion, these bands (Coppell, Duncanville, Bell, etc) are successful each year because they stick to a formula that works for their respective bands. For Coppell, the formula has ALWAYS been music first. It's director places a HUGE importance on music, especially at the individual level (Coppell consistently is one of the top 5As that sends the most individuals to All-State, State Solo, etc.). When it comes to marching band, Coppell sticks to traditional composers and pieces resonate more with the trained ear (such as adjudicators and seasoned band vets) rather than with the typical band "fan" in the stands. Over the years Coppell brings the sounds of Dvorak, Bernstein, Shostakovich, Barber, Hindemith, Holst, Copland, etc. to the field. NEVER will you watch a Coppell (at least not until its current director retires) band play original Poulan, Higginbotham, etc. music. You'll NEVER hear Coppell pull out Cirque du Soleil on the field. I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to other bands who play original music... I happen to love many of those bands. However, it's just not what Coppell's "formula" is....

With regards to drill, guard, and overall design... Coppell has really stuck to a same "formula" in that department too. You'll see a bit slower drill as compared to other bands. You'll see a lot of rotating blocks, a lot of follow-the-leader sets. I would say that the Coppell shows in the last 3-4 years have had a bit more innovative drill, but it is still reminiscent of the Coppell in the early 2000s. Even this year's drill, from my observation, is nothing too difficult but it is executed cleanly and performed well.

And at the end of the day... that is what Coppell's staff and students shoot for... strong music and marching performed cleanly. I'll be honest, incredible creativity (a la Flower Mound Marcus, a band that I am a huge fan of) has never been Coppell's forte. Perhaps Coppell 2008 (Planets) and Coppell 1999 (New World) were the two shows that came closest to capturing an overarching theme that was evident in both the music, drill, auxiliary work, etc. But Coppell doesn't care about all that... they do what they do and they do it pretty darn well. This is why Coppell was a state finalist every year when they were in 4A. This is why Coppell is a consistent finalist in 5A (let's not talk about 2002-2003 when they were in Area B... whole other can of worms there.) I guess my point is, I don't see them changing that formula any time soon... and they shouldn't.

Edited by HechYeah08

When it comes to Coppell, there is also something to be said about tradition and consistency. I'm not sure how long you've followed band in the state of Texas, but there are a handful of programs that have been consistent finalists at UIL contests for the last decade or two. In my opinion, these bands (Coppell, Duncanville, Bell, etc) are successful each year because they stick to a formula that works for their respective bands. For Coppell, the formula has ALWAYS been music first. It's director places a HUGE importance on music, especially at the individual level (Coppell consistently is one of the top 5As that sends the most individuals to All-State, State Solo, etc.). When it comes to marching band, Coppell sticks to traditional composers and pieces resonate more with the trained ear (such as adjudicators and seasoned band vets) rather than with the typical band "fan" in the stands. Over the years Coppell brings the sounds of Dvorak, Bernstein, Shostakovich, Barber, Hindemith, Holst, Copland, etc. to the field. NEVER will you watch a Coppell (at least not until its current director retires) band play original Poulan, Higginbotham, etc. music. You'll NEVER hear Coppell pull out Cirque du Soleil on the field. I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to other bands who play original music... I happen to love many of those bands. However, it's just not what Coppell's "formula" is....

With regards to drill, guard, and overall design... Coppell has really stuck to a same "formula" in that department too. You'll see a bit slower drill as compared to other bands. You'll see a lot of rotating blocks, a lot of follow-the-leader sets. I would say that the Coppell shows in the last 3-4 years have had a bit more innovative drill, but it is still reminiscent of the Coppell in the early 2000s. Even this year's drill, from my observation, is nothing too difficult but it is executed cleanly and performed well.

And at the end of the day... that is what Coppell's staff and students shoot for... strong music and marching performed cleanly. I'll be honest, incredible creativity (a la Flower Mound Marcus, a band that I am a huge fan of) has never been Coppell's forte. Perhaps Coppell 2008 (Planets) and Coppell 2009 (New World) were the two shows that came closest to capturing an overarching theme that was evident in both the music, drill, auxiliary work, etc. But Coppell doesn't care about all that... they do what they do and they do it pretty darn well. This is why Coppell was a state finalist every year when they were in 4A. This is why Coppell is a consistent finalist in 5A (let's not talk about 2002-2003 when they were in Area B... whole other can of worms there.) I guess my point is, I don't see them changing that formula any time soon... and they shouldn't.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Coppell is more of a traditional, conservative marching band. They want to show off their talent through marching and music, not with extravagant props. Their simplistic moving pictures this year were considered a big leap for them.

The Woodlands NEVER has a very strong visual program....just saying.

It would be great to see Brazoswood back in state finals though!

I would disagree with you on the "NEVER" part. You are forgetting their The Woodlands' 2006 BOA AAA Championship year where they received the Outstanding Visual Caption at BOA San Antonio, beating out Bell and Marcus in visual performance.

I guess you're right. It should have gone something like "most of the time" instead of "NEVER." 2006 is a long time ago, though. :P

Let us not forget that the most innovative, memorable, and unique high school marching band shows have come from a "long time ago" as well as most recently:

1993 Spring; 1998 Lassiter; 1999 PCEP; 2001 Lawrence Central; 2002 Lassiter; 2004 SFA; 2005 Ronald Reagan; 2006 The Woodlands; 2006-2008 LD Bell; 2009 Avon......just to name a few

The Woodlands NEVER has a very strong visual program....just saying.

It would be great to see Brazoswood back in state finals though!

--Well, I am not necessarily saying that they [The Woodlands] are bad marchers, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a year when The Woodlands wasn't severely hindered by their visual. For example, last year at Grand Nationals, they got something like the third highest Average Music Score in finals, but something like 10th in Average Visual. It's the same story this year. Very near top with music, middle of the pack with visual.--

That's more than an absolute and forward statement. I'm pretty sure that The Woodlands has been one of the stronger visually performing bands for a substantial period of time. To say that The Woodlands never has a strong visual program is anything but the truth (and I'm sure some from The Woodlands would take quite a bit of offense from your statement)-- especially when there's evidence out there to back that up. Go and watch some of their marching videos from the earlier part of their decade... I think you'll change your opinion and your uninformed statement.

Because they have never made state finals.

Make sure to do your research before making a comment. They made UIL state finals in 2002 and 2004....for the older members and maybe Danpod; "Taco Tuba" should be familiar. Note: 2002 was prelims only due to inclement weather in Waco, so they finished in the top ten, hence similar to making it into finals.

172 is pretty good, 144 is still not that fast

With all do respect, how do you define "good?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you mean "entertaining" instead of "good." Marching at 172 can be incredibly entertaining for an audience, especially if executed very well. However, fast marching is not always necessarily "good." Do you happen to know what Marcus' fastest tempo was in their last two gold-medal-winning shows? I'm a huge Marcus fan and I think that fast marching has absolutely nothing to do with the accolades they are collecting...

I'm not at all saying that their show is fast. I'm just saying it's not the typical "slow" 5A they've been doing. The music is extremely difficult too, it's not like it's just quarter notes and whole notes either.

Oh okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I tried watching their Planets show from '08 but, like Marcus, it was painfully slow and not interesting at all.