Outstanding Music Performance: Marcus HS, TX

Outstanding Visual Performance: L.D. Bell HS, TX

Outstanding General Effect: L.D. Bell HS, TX

Fan Favorite: L.D. Bell HS, TX

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 of the top 6 bands from the SA Super Regional will be at Grand Nats this year. I think this is the best Texas year at Nats yet. Get excited.

Correction, 4 of the top 6 from SA will be going to GN. Richland has elected to not go due to their participation at the Pasadena Rose Parade.

*Note: what musicforall shows for the GN list is not up to date

Ahh, that's a shame. Still, top 4 going, so awesome. All 4 have the potential for finals, and even dare I say high placements at finals? And Clear Brook has a solid shot at Semi's for sure.

I hope Richland has fun at the Rose Parade though. Those are always a blast. I know I had fun when I marched in the Fiesta Bowl.

I heard a rumor that Westlake got 26th. While I'm not certain if I believe it, because that seems ridiculous, can anyone confirm?

or maybe just post all of the prelims placements?

Can't confirm or deny that. We'll find out tomorrow morning when recaps get posted.

I heard a rumor that Westlake got 26th. While I'm not certain if I believe it, because that seems ridiculous, can anyone confirm?

or maybe just post all of the prelims placements?

I don't know if the score sheets passed out in director packets are considered "unofficial" until Monday morning when they're posted online, but I can confirm that Westlake was 26th (which shocked me as well!). Coppell was 15th, .2 behind Reagan, who scored unusually high in music considering what their Finals performance sounded like. Langham Creek was 32nd...

I don't know if the score sheets passed out in director packets are considered "unofficial" until Monday morning when they're posted online, but I can confirm that Westlake was 26th (which shocked me as well!). Coppell was 15th, .2 behind Reagan, who scored unusually high in music considering what their Finals performance sounded like. Langham Creek was 32nd...

Can you confirm if there was a band that had a massive penalty in prelims?

And there is absolutely no way (without penalty) that either Westlake or Langham should have been that low.

And there is absolutely no way (without penalty) that either Westlake or Langham should have been that low.

I worked both days as an event volunteer...not sure I should state this here but one band did get penalized

due to the negative actions of their parent volunteers during prelims. (sorry I don't know which band that was but heard that it was six points)

Sorry, I handed the sheets over to the head director this morning. The largest penalty I recall seeing was .8 (and Bell had .3 for something). I remember doing a double take when I saw Langham's rank, but it's definitely possible that I could have misread it. I was working on a 36 hour day with only a couple of cat naps on the bus to tide me over, so there's no telling what I might have seen at 11:30 last night. Westlake was definitely 26, though.

I will say that I was VERY pleasantly surprised by Spring. I thought their playing was strong, and their show design seemed to be one of the most cohesive of the contest (I get into the darker ideas, so it worked well for me). I recall them having one of the highest visual GE scores in prelims, too.

I was shocked that Cedar Park had average scores in music during finals after an extremely strong performance in prelims. I personally thought they were had one of the most crisp sounds of the night. The normal boominess was replaced by uncommon clarity most of the time, and I count that as a huge achievement in the dome.

I'm still disappointed Coppell was one out, but maybe their design process will have taken a few leaps forward when they return in two years.

I absolutely loved hearing Bell play Kingfishers. All the woodwind runs were so clean. I was a huge fan of their music selection.

Marcus sounded brilliant as always.

I was shocked by SFA's low placement...especially since i heard they did better in finals

and how did you guys feel about Churchill, CP, and Keller? I had to miss them.

I was shocked by SFA's low placement...especially since i heard they did better in finals

For the TX Bands Crew that were at finals and anyone else who was there, with regard to SFA's performance, did you all feel a tear/phasing issue between the front ensemble and battery at the beginning of the closer? Some of us who were watching on the network weren't sure if that was the issue or if there were technical issues? If so, could that have hurt their overall music score?

For the TX Bands Crew that were at finals and anyone else who was there, with regard to SFA's performance, did you all feel a tear/phasing issue between the front ensemble and battery at the beginning of the closer? Some of us who were watching on the network weren't sure if that was the issue or if there were technical issues? If so, could that have hurt their overall music score?

Yeah, there were a couple of small tears and that was the largest of them in Finals. But it was still a night and day difference for the better compared to what happened to them in Prelims. They just haven't had any luck at all with keeping things together in that dome going all the way back to 2004.

I was blown away with most of the shows that night, but my overall favorites had to be:

1. Spring: if you missed it, it was a crowd pleaser for sure. They had a clarinet soloist who did outstanding, and a smokin drumline, and a guard that gave me chills- not to mention a trumpet section that blew my face off. Oh and they walked off without even paying attention to the crowd. magnificent.

2. Cedar Park: fast and in your face. this had me goin the whole show. i didnt want the show to end, although the woodwinds were entirely beautiful, the brass blew the house down along with a jammin drumline. Fantastic confidence and precision.

Now, i agree with the rankings- because although i didnt enjoy ld bell/ marcus's show as much, they played beautifully and sold their entire show completely maturely handled along with their overall package- they delivered a heck of a sound and cant wait for GN finals. I think this was the best BOA regionals since 2003.

I was thrilled that I got to see Marcus and Bell nearly back-to-back (poor Leander, sandwiched in between). Bell can obviously pull off playing their show well, but Marcus clearly has better players on the field. They present so much more control of their instruments. Tone quality, dynamics, style, everything was just executed with more maturity. Not to take anything away from Bell, though. They certainly deserved their 1st place finish when you take the entire show into account, but Marcus is in a musical league all its own.

I expect Marcus to come away with the Music Caption at GN, but I'll be interested to see if Bell's emotional presence is enough to overcome Marcus in overall placement.