2009: BOA San Antonio, TX Super Regional

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am speechless...I kind of agree with the top 15 or so, but after that, some of the scores seem very, very off... I honestly cannot believe that Clear Brook got 35th!!!! ..or how did Wakeland got 26th...

...I watched the live feeds, and maybe I missed something major....but I'm just astounded by Clear Brook's score...

Can anyone tell me if they had some major issue that could have kept them from scoring higher??????

Edited by jbroomas

Prelims Top 14:

1. Marcus

2. L.D. Bell

3. The Woodlands

4. James Bowie

5. Stephen F. Austin

6. Cedar Park

7. Spring

8. Richland

9. Hebron

10. Winston Churchill

11. Colleyville Heritage

12. Leander

13. Keller

14. Ronald Reagan

-----

15. Coppell

16. Brazoswood

17. Judson

18. Pflugerville

I am speechless...I kind of agree with the top 15 or so, but after that, some of the scores seem very, very off... I honestly cannot believe that Clear Brook got 35th!!!! ..or how did Wakeland got 26th...

...I watched the live feeds, and maybe I missed something major....but I'm just astounded by Clear Brook's score...

I have a little theory about all of this. I'll save it for the podcast later on this week but in a way, there's a method to the madness.

Can one of the txbands.com staff members provide a laymen's description of the various judging categories and the overall BOA judging process? I've read the official descriptions on Music for All but still don't completely get it.

A few clarification questions I have:

- For Individual Music and Individual Performance, is this a judge (on the field?) looking for and listening to individual members, so a weak member the judge happens to see/hear may bring down the entire group? I see some pretty big differences in placement between Music Ensemble and Music Individual.

- How does Visual Performance differ from Visual General Effects?

- Is Visual Performance strictly the guard or inclusive of the entire band?

Thanks

A few clarification questions I have:

- For Individual Music and Individual Performance, is this a judge (on the field?) looking for and listening to individual members, so a weak member the judge happens to see/hear may bring down the entire group? I see some pretty big differences in placement between Music Ensemble and Music Individual.

- How does Visual Performance differ from Visual General Effects?

- Is Visual Performance strictly the guard or inclusive of the entire band?

- Individual judges are on the field. They are looking for consistency from player to player, marcher to marcher. If uniformity is an issue, the program will be docked for it. Sometimes, many problems on the field do not come through to the ensemble judges upstairs. You could have a student playing wrong notes left and right on the field, but that doesn't mean the ensemble judge will be able to hear it.

- Visual Performance evaluates how well the students are moving. From downstairs, you're looking at movements that are in time and together from person to person. From upstairs, you're looking at how well the sets are hitting. Visual General Effect combines how well they are moving with the material they are moving with. Unique drill moves and body movements can really boost a Visual General Effect score, along with other performance and repertoire aspects.

- Visual Performance is inclusive of the entire band, not just the guard.

You could have a student playing wrong notes left and right on the field, but that doesn't mean the ensemble judge will be able to hear it.

How about a student not playing any notes, just marching? I know there are some programs that are just filling holes or don't let the freshman play. Some of its obvious (missing mouthpieces). Will that impact the individual scores if a judge notices someone not playing when the rest of their section is?

How about a student not playing any notes, just marching? I know there are some programs that are just filling holes or don't let the freshman play. Some of its obvious (missing mouthpieces). Will that impact the individual scores if a judge notices someone not playing when the rest of their section is?

That's where some programs can run into trouble. Judge's discretion could be exercised in this situation, especially if the judge notices a missing mouthpiece, but if they notice a student not playing any notes whatsoever, they will eventually have to factor that in their evaluation.

This particular situation is why many directors emphasize academic success and physical well-being during the season.

Well no one else has said it, so I guess i will...Congratz to L.D. Bell!!! Once again your show left me speechless. This band always manages to express itself such a different way. At times, you forget it is a marching show, which is hardly a bad thing in my opinion. Can't wait to see what they do in these next three weeks for grand nationals. You know they've got something up their sleeves.

Marcus consistently sounded like they were sitting down rather than marching...not to mention that what they were playing was hard enough sitting down. Such a clean and calm sound. There is SO much talent in this group, and for once, I don't think the storyline was too distracting this time. Hard to believe they still got quite a bit of show to add.

I think the Woodlands is peaking at the right time. Their show is very challenging and I still think they can really clean it up and be a big threat and grand nationals. The chanting break is definitely a crowd pleaser!

I had been looking forward to seeing Bowie's show since I missed it at Houston, and now I see why it made so much noise there. Their theme is very well portrayed and well thought out.

Also noticed that the scores were a little low. Could the judges have been taking into account that these shows have a long way to go before they're perfected in three weeks? Maybe just leaving some room for improvement?

Cedar Park blew me away once again! I could probably listen to this show all day. I may be biased, coming from this district, but I'm also a sucker for the huge chords. So balanced!!

I feel like Churchill had a rough run in finals, especially the closer. It seemed to trudge on a bit at the end. The rowdy churchill fans behind me couldn't have helped too much...

Also good to see Reagan in finals again. I love how they are able to display a highly creative theme through music and drill, without the fancy props. Their ideas are truly innovative. Also good to see their numbers growing. It won't be long before this band is back at the top.

Dan Potter kept mentioning that it would be an amazing contest if the next 14 bands formed a finals block, and I can't really argue with that logic. A block consisting of Coppel, Brazoswood, Westlake, Westfield, and Haltom doesn't sound too bad to me. Just a lot of great bands at this contest.

Good luck to the 5 going to G'nats. We will obviously be well represented!

I'll set up the whole prelims ranking in order so it's easier on the eyes.

1. Marcus

2. L.D. Bell

3. The Woodlands

4. James Bowie

5. Stephen F. Austin

6. Cedar Park

7. Spring

8. Richland

9. Hebron

10. Winston Churchill

11. Colleyville Heritage

12. Leander

13. Keller

14. Ronald Reagan

-----

15. Coppell

16. Brazoswood

17. Judson (nice call on the possible dark horse, Xenon :))

18. Pflugerville

19. Westfield

20. Martin

21. Connally

22. Haltom

23. Claudia Taylor Johnson

24. Lopez

25. Vista Ridge

26. Westlake (I would say lower than expected but look at the bands around them, this was a tough contest)

27. Akins

28. Round Rock

29. Dekaney

30. Georgetown

31. New Braunfels

32. Langham Creek (definitely lower than expected)

33. Edinburg

34. Northwest

35. Clear Brook (WAY lower than expected, I had them in the bottom of Finals)

36. John Marshall

37. Seven Lakes

38. Floresville

39. Trinity

40. Monterey

41. Harlingen

42. John Jay

43. Sharyland

44. Jackson Academy

45. Eagle Pass

46. Franklin

47. Hidalgo

48. Pearsall

49. James Pace

50. Skiatook

Impressions:

For starters, only 5 small school bands (A,AA) showed up to this contest (compared to 12 bands in both 2005 and 2007. Last year there were 10, and that was a smaller contest). Not only that, 2 of the small bands this year were from out of state. Other than Hidalgo (who always comes because they're the 'A' favorite), there were virtually no Texas bands smaller than 3A who showed up to this contest except Pearsall. The larger 4A/5A bands almost completely phased out the ATSSB bands at this year's contest. I'm hoping this doesn't become an annual trend.

This phasing out also created a very notable characteristic for this year's contest. Nearly every band at this contest was either a respected 4A/5A band or at least had a strong reputation as a small BOA school (Jackson Academy, Hidalgo and Skiatook would fit this description). I'll give you a very powerful example. Look at Harlingen. They're a large 5A band that a fair amount of people haven't heard of because they're in the valley. 41st place. Sounds pretty bad doesn't it...they must be one of those bands that aren't very good, right? WRONG! What has Harlingen done in recent years that would make someone think they're a bad band? Does placing in the teens at the 2008 5A State Marching contest comes to mind? Nah....bands that can pull that off are usually some of the best in the state, that couldn't be it -_- .

James Pace may have gotten next to last place (49th), but they were still 5A Area G finalists last year. They may have been the weakest 5A band that competed at this contest, but they're still a respectable Div 1 band! Almost every band in attendance had an enjoyable, well-played show which is almost never the case for an open contest of 50 bands.

These low placements don't serve as a good representation of these bands' skill....they serve to show how tough this contest was and how the bands were so close in ability that minor things like a judge's impression or little tears and slip ups on the field could alter placements drastically.

I have to say that I'm very disappointed Clear Brook didn't make finals. They definately have my favorite show of the year. Three more weeks to clean before GN. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get close to finals this year!

Well, it got real old...real fast. they need to step it up a bit.

Prelims recaps takeaways:

- Bell Tied with Marcus for 1st in Music GE but 6th in Visual GE (Marcus 5th in Visual GE)

- Brazoswood and Coppell in the top 14 in GE but not in Finals.

- Keller 19th in GE but still made it into Finals

- Brazoswood 8th and 13th in Music GE.

- Westfield 8th and 9th in the Visual Performance subcaptions, but below 20th in all other subcaptions.

- Westlake 42nd in Visual Ensemble.

- Coppell 24th in Music Individual and 8th in Music Ensemble.

- Reagan 8th in Music Individual and 20th in Music Ensemble.

- Spring 25th in Music Individual and 7th in Music Ensemble.

- Keller 2nd in Visual Individual and 16th in Visual Ensemble.

- Trinity placed ahead of Harlingen (teens in 2008 UIL State) by 2 spots.