2009: BOA San Antonio, TX Super Regional

She was not judging on-field music during prelims. I know for a fact that Carl Bly was standing in front of a bassoon player holding a saxophone for most of the show so I won't dispute the reasoning; however, I would also like to point out that he pretty much stayed in the lower left quadrant of the field for most of the shows that I saw during prelims. That seems like a fairly narrow perspective on a band's individual technique, whether marching or music.

I've seen judges follow the same person the entire show several times. Unfair, maybe, but it's really up to them how they want to go about judging.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This contest is one of THE main reasons I think Grand Nationals should move from year to year!!! ...or at least to a more central location. I know this has been discussed many times in the past...but I still stand by my opinion. I think that it were ever held in Texas, we would without a doubt dominate the competition...

As a marching band fan from Indiana, I have to say that I do really admire many of the Texas bands, they are always awesome at Grand Nats. I do also agree that it only seems fair that Grand Nats should move from year to year or at least be held in Texas as well as Indy. I do not agree however that Texas bands would "dominate" the Grand Nats. We (Indiana) have our fair share of very good bands, and don't forget other bands across the US that are always near the top i.e. Broken Arrow, PCEP, Marian Catholic. I do like the competition among what I consider the two best band states Texas and Indiana and it will be another interesting competition in a couple weeks at Indy. Good luck to all Texas bands, but GO AVON!

As a marching band fan from Indiana, I have to say that I do really admire many of the Texas bands, they are always awesome at Grand Nats. I do also agree that it only seems fair that Grand Nats should move from year to year or at least be held in Texas as well as Indy. I do not agree however that Texas bands would "dominate" the Grand Nats. We (Indiana) have our fair share of very good bands, and don't forget other bands across the US that are always near the top i.e. Broken Arrow, PCEP, Marian Catholic. I do like the competition among what I consider the two best band states Texas and Indiana and it will be another interesting competition in a couple weeks at Indy. Good luck to all Texas bands, but GO AVON!

Not sure if the poster meant the term "dominate" to be that way, but I would use the term in a little more of a literal sense. If Grand Nationals were to be held in the State of Texas, the amount of Texas bands that would sign up to go would pretty much turn the event into the San Antonio Super Regional, Part Dos.

Think of this logistical nightmare:

Grand Nationals takes the first 90 bands to sign up. I have a staunch belief that if Grand Nationals moved to the Alamodome, at least half of the bands competing at the event would be from Texas. You better believe that those programs would be ready to turn their money and forms in on the very first day. Music For All would either have to undergo a massive expansion of Grand Nationals, or they would have to come up with some sort of selection process to attain a nice mix of high-level programs. Also, geographic balance would probably have to play a factor in that selection process.

The reason Grand Nationals is such a great event is because you get to see what students from across the Nation have to offer. I hope that Grand Nationals stays in Indianapolis for a very long time.

Not sure if the poster meant the term "dominate" to be that way, but I would use the term in a little more of a literal sense. If Grand Nationals were to be held in the State of Texas, the amount of Texas bands that would sign up to go would pretty much turn the event into the San Antonio Super Regional, Part Dos.

Think of this logistical nightmare:

Grand Nationals takes the first 90 bands to sign up. I have a staunch belief that if Grand Nationals moved to the Alamodome, at least half of the bands competing at the event would be from Texas. You better believe that those programs would be ready to turn their money and forms in on the very first day. Music For All would either have to undergo a massive expansion of Grand Nationals, or they would have to come up with some sort of selection process to attain a nice mix of high-level programs. Also, geographic balance would probably have to play a factor in that selection process.

The reason Grand Nationals is such a great event is because you get to see what students from across the Nation have to offer. I hope that Grand Nationals stays in Indianapolis for a very long time.

Danpod, I agree with your conclusion that if Grand Nats were to be held in Texas (Alamodome) for example there would be an enormous number of Texas bands interested in participating. It would only be fair to have some sort of a selection process to limit the maximum number of bands from any one state, afterall that's what makes Grand Nats so interesting, the wide and diverse number of schools and states participating. I'm very familiar with the Indiana bands and their shows but look forward to seeing Texas bands as it is always the first time I have seen them at Grand Nats. Just curious who do you consider to be the favorite (if any) at Indy this year?

Just curious who do you consider to be the favorite (if any) at Indy this year?

I think this is coming down to about.......three or four programs. I can make a big case for Avon, L.D. Bell, Marcus, and The Woodlands (Those are the only programs that I've seen so far this season that I think could win). Avon has some great technical musicianship this year. Of course, they are going to wow everyone with their visual program. Their show seems like that it could repeat. I think it's a little too early to consider any one a favorite simply because the Indianapolis Regional hasn't gone down yet. I'd have to wait and see how the Indy Regional goes.

I think this is coming down to about.......three or four programs. I can make a big case for Avon, L.D. Bell, Marcus, and The Woodlands (Those are the only programs that I've seen so far this season that I think could win). Avon have some great technically musicianship this year. Of course, they are going to wow everyone with their visual program. Their show seems like that it could repeat. I think it's a little too early to consider any one a favorite simply because the Indianapolis Regional hasn't gone down yet. I'd have to wait and see how the Indy Regional goes.

Agreed, our state finals are this Sat. as well and that should also give an indication of how things stack up here. I realize our state finals and the differences in BOA judging, but generally the placement at our state finals and how the Indiana bands fair at Grand Nats. are reasonably close. Center Grove is a darkhorse, and as much as I hate to mention Carmel has been preparing all year. Lawrence Central has a very "unique" show, and Ben Davis and Lake Central should be competitive and possible finalists. I'm very curious about Marcus and LD Bell well what can you say about such a great program. I'll be cheering for my Black & Gold but again best luck to y'all!

A lot of the staff at Indianamarching.com watched the finals on a big screen T.V. and we were definitely entertained. A lot of great band shows coming from TX once again. It's great that our two states have a good (albeit sometimes heated) rivalry. ;)

My personal thoughts from the San Antonio SR:

Ronald Regan - It's great to see that after so much that you have been able to start rebuilding this program. Keep up the hard work!

Churchill - Lots of energy here. Definitely liked your drumline as the bands came back out onto the field. Great chops.

Leander - Musically great! You had some noticeable errors in visual both individual and ensemble wise but the package is there. Looking forward to getting a recording of your show later.

Colleyville Heritage - This show is much improved over last year when I saw you here at GN. Hope to see you producing more shows like this.

Keller - Flashy uniforms and flashy show.

Hebron - I had been told you all were having a bit of a down here but I think you proved otherwise.

SFA - Every year I think, "The dancers just dance. How can they really portray a show without weapons or flags?" and every year you show me how. It's amazing how well you do your shows and how entertaining they always are. Personally would have scored you higher. Hope to see you at GN again soon!

Spring - Oh yes! This was a great show and another one I would have scored much higher. The staff and I just loved it (some of us even voted for it as fan favorite in the text poll) and certainly one of my favorites of the night after I wasn't expecting much again.

Richland - It's a shame you won't make it out to GN this year but the show is still really good. Definite errors here and there but those individual errors can be corrected. Good run overall.

Cedar Park - It's been a long time since I have heard such a good arrangement and performance of that piece as you all put on. Please come to GN sometime because I would love to see you live!

James Bowie - Your visual game has improved so much since you last came to GN. You're certainly a contender this year for a finals spot. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you in about 2 weeks.

Woodlands - Gotta admit, Hide and Seek is still my favorite show you all have put on but this certainly doesn't let me down. Another unique show that is both good and entertaining. Looking forward to seeing it live! Keep up the improvements.

Marcus - I had you down for the win here. Your playing is fantastic like always and the show is great fun! Can't wait to see what you bring in two weeks.

LD Bell - We weren't expecting to see new uniforms but they do look snazzy. Anyone know if these are temporary or permanent? The show is very well designed like always and the drill looks to be up a notch from the past two years. Good luck at GN and look forward to seeing you there.

As indianamarchingfan already pointed out, this is our State Finals weekend so we should get an interesting read on where everyone will be at this point. Don't read too much into the results though because anything could still happen in the two weeks after. After all, Lawrence Central beat Avon at state and then we all know what happened last year. Plus Carmel elected not to participate in ISSMA this year so we won't be seeing them at state finals so we can't get much of a read on them as well. This is just what makes it so exciting! It's still virtually anyone's game at this point.

My top bands (in no order) are: Avon, Lawrence Central, Carmel, Centerville (they were barely behind Carmel at a recent contest), Center Grove, LD Bell, Woodlands, Marcus, PCEP, Broken Arrow, and Marian Catholic. Honestly at this point I could see any of those taking home the Eagle. Eleven bands! Sheesh! This is why I love this so much. :)

Good luck to everyone the rest of the season and congratulations to everyone at the San Antonio SR!

Edited by IMcom-Josh

Theoretically shouldn't Bowie do better at GN than they did last time they went(assuming they have a good show that day)? That year Bowie didn't make finals at BOA San Antonio but were able to do so at GN. This year they have top 4 so I think they'll do pretty well at GN.

Thoughts?

Edited by BassoonPadwan

Theoretically shouldn't Bowie do better at GN than they did last time they went(assuming they have a good show that day)? That year Bowie didn't make finals at BOA San Antonio but were able to do so at GN. This year they have top 4 so I think they'll do pretty well at GN.

Thoughts?

Bowie was extremely inconsistent in their performance level that year. They just had a really bad run in BOA SA Prelims.