Area B Marching Contest

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little elm, an upcoming band with one heck of a colorguard:

they're much bigger than I remember them.....

More swaying in an opening set

cool drum major start off

killing off band members in the opener?? I like it

tuning issues on the first note

tuning issues in general... Mostly trumpets and flutes

the show is kinda dark and twisted

good fundamentals

not a lot of fast paced marching

why is this guard soooo good!?!?!?!? Twirling two rifles At the same time! WTF?

Rankings so far

1: southwest

2: wakeland

3: birdville

4: little elm

final results...

1st. newman smith

2nd. legacy

3rd. wakeland

4th. southwest

alternate: birdville

ur right wakeland is fairly new, so is legacy, newman smith has always been stuck in 5A and falling short, and southwest got screwed last area year. i still can't believe there will be no sherman they always seem like a fixture in 4A state

i thought legacy used to be a 5A band also...

i thought legacy used to be a 5A band also...

This topic just keeps on giving...Legacy opened in 2007 as a 5A school due to Mansfield ISD's guess on what enrollment would be. Legacy's band went to UIL in 2007 as a 5A non-varsity band. The actual enrollment at Legacy was below projections and they were immediately moved to 4A the next year...2008.

The rest of the story is what happens next year. Rumor has it that conference moves may be in store for ALL Mansfield high schools next year based on this year's enrollment.

Based on the ADM numbers turned in on October 15th, Mansfield, Mansfield Legacy and Mansfield Timerview ought to be 5A unless the cutoff jumps dramatically. Mansfield Summit is on the bubble but likely will end up on the 4A side of the line. It is very close and will depend on how many schools that asked to "opt up" the UIL chooses to grant.

What's funny is most of my favorite shows were from the groups that didn't make it. I really enjoyed newman smith and legacys show, but by far my top 3 favorite shows were out of sherman, aledo and the colony. I'd have killed to be the picollo player in aledo's show this year!!!!!!!! Such a fun little solo. =]

This topic just keeps on giving...Legacy opened in 2007 as a 5A school due to Mansfield ISD's guess on what enrollment would be. Legacy's band went to UIL in 2007 as a 5A non-varsity band. The actual enrollment at Legacy was below projections and they were immediately moved to 4A the next year...2008.

The rest of the story is what happens next year. Rumor has it that conference moves may be in store for ALL Mansfield high schools next year based on this year's enrollment.

well then, nevertheless, it looks as though legacy is a fairly new band, and it's pretty surprising that they pushed birdville/the colony out of going to state... it will be interesting to see how such a young band does at state next week.

well then, nevertheless, it looks as though legacy is a fairly new band, and it's pretty surprising that they pushed birdville/the colony out of going to state... it will be interesting to see how such a young band does at state next week.

legacy might be a new band, but they have a lot of experienced marchers from very good programs like mansfield high and summit. wakeland on the other hand is very young, this is the first year they have 4 year seniors

trump - Wakeland just opened in 2006, and started with freshman, sophomores, and juniors only. This year's senior class is the first one to attend Wakeland for all 4 years. My daughter is one of them. They started 2006 with 68 kids total, including guard, and 42(?) of those were freshman, and are now up to approximately 185 - 190.

He meant Wakeland..

No, they meant Legacy. Legacy opened in 2007, had three seniors that year, about a dozen last year (they did a great job helping to get things going). When Legacy opened (as is usually the case) all high school students had the choice to stay at their original school, and nearly all upper classmen did...and even this year's senior class is very small compared to the rest of the band. Next year, 2010, Legacy will have their first set of graduating seniors who have attended all four years at Legacy.

That said, both the schools being discussed here have achieved great things in a short time...a testament to both the students and directors. Lets congratulate them and wish them and all those bands who are moving onto state the best of luck next week.

drummerdad - well said! The directors at both Wakeland and Legacy have done an incredible job of getting their programs to this level so quickly. I know Gerry Miller has the complete support of school and district administration, and I would assume the director at Legacy does as well. It's good to see that fine arts "gets some love" from these areas (and that is coming from an ex-jock).