Area B Marching Contest

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Legacy's electronics conked out at Arlington and they weren't at San Antonio (and I'm not from that area so I've never been to a game) so basically I (most of us actually) have never gotten to see the complete realization of their show. Any idea how much of their show is being cut out for State to meet UIL's guidelines? I know last year they had to cut out a lot of voiceover elements for Region UIL since said elements (ie. backwards speak) weren't possible to replicate live.

I'm mainly curious because as of now there are no videos out their of Legacy's show (yet). If one is added later it'll probably be of UIL and I want to know what was cut out so I have a comparison.

If the loss of their computer kept them from being able to compete at Arlington, I wonder what kind of show they'll have when they're forced to take the electronics out.

So Legacy's electronics conked out at Arlington and they weren't at San Antonio (and I'm not from that area so I've never been to a game) so basically I (most of us actually) have never gotten to see the complete realization of their show. Any idea how much of their show is being cut out for State to meet UIL's guidelines? I know last year they had to cut out a lot of voiceover elements for Region UIL since said elements (ie. backwards speak) weren't possible to replicate live.

I'm mainly curious because as of now there are no videos out their of Legacy's show (yet). If one is added later it'll probably be of UIL and I want to know what was cut out so I have a comparison.

If the loss of their computer kept them from being able to compete at Arlington, I wonder what kind of show they'll have when they're forced to take the electronics out.

They marched their show without electronics at BOA and there were significant portions of the show that were completely silent and felt awkward (not their fault though). So, i don't really know what their show is REALLY like.

Edited by bingogooberman

They marched their show without electronics at BOA and there were significant portions of the show that were completely silent and felt awkward (not their fault though). So, i don't really know what their show is REALLY like.

From what I've seen, Legacy's use of voice over is not as significant in this years show, titled "Signal to Noise" and for UIL it is being handled by members of the pit. Having seen their show before UIL when they used pre-recorded voices, the use of pit members doing the speaking for UIL has a far greater impact and draws the audience in more effectively.

Unlike Legacy's show last year, which was more about the fun use of electronics with an "outer space" theme, this year it is all about the music. The theme comes from an interview with famous composer Christopher Rouse who is quoted as saying "the greatest addition to the orchestra in the 21st century will be electronics." The music selections include "Mathis Der Mahler" by Hindemith, "Marriage of Figaro" by Mozart as well as music from John Adams and original compositions by Mark Higginbotham.

The use of electronic instruments in the show is integrated slowly from nothing during the opener to more as the show progresses. However, the electronic instruments are all musical, played on keyboards by band members, and integrated with the field instruments. There are no pre-recorded elements to the show's production. All elements of the band are featured throughout the show, including woodwinds, brass, field and pit percussion and color guard. Overall, what you hear is the band playing with occasional electronic accompaniment. It's pretty impressive and entertaining. (I might be biased)