2009: BOA San Antonio, TX Super Regional

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh....don't remind me. I was planning on making the trip to the dome to see all these great bands, but I have to work our contest here at Sam....

...maybe next year :/.

aww sorry man. :/

its true that there will be great bands at the dome, and I really want to go see them but I'm torn between going to go watch the intense competition at San Antonio or watching my old band at Sam Houston.

hopefully next year they wont schedule it on the same day!

Edited by Miray

There's a small problem with the judging panel:

Darrin Davis and John Howell are both on the panel, and both are supposed to be judging in Illinois at the Illinois State University Invitational Marching Band Championships...

No, no it's cool. BOA has borrowed Hermoine's time turner thing so they can be at both contests at the same time. No worries. BOA is always on the ball..

No, no it's cool. BOA has borrowed Hermoine's time turner thing so they can be at both contests at the same time. No worries. BOA is always on the ball..

The two judges in question were replaced at the ISU contest. The ISU website never updated the list. I hate Harry Potter.

Not having been to a marching band event since 1989 and that was in California, what can anyone tell me about this one?

Parking? $5? or FREE? or walk from 2 miles out?

Cameras? Forbidden? Allowed?

Tickets? At the door? Pre-order only? Or FREE?

Is there some official website that explains all of this? Or is this stuff only known by the participants? Or should I be checking something like ticketmaster for information?

Not having been to a marching band event since 1989 and that was in California, what can anyone tell me about this one?

Parking? $5? or FREE? or walk from 2 miles out?

Cameras? Forbidden? Allowed?

Tickets? At the door? Pre-order only? Or FREE?

Is there some official website that explains all of this? Or is this stuff only known by the participants? Or should I be checking something like ticketmaster for information?

Parking...I believe $10.00

Cameras...Still Only...no video or audio

Tickets...both pre-order and at the door....??FREE?? I WISH! $40ish for both days....

go to www.musicforall.org

The San Antonio Super Regional is by far, from top to bottom, the best Regional that Music For All has to offer. The Regional usually has the biggest turnout of any Regional in the Nation. In fact, the competition is so intense that it is illegal to leave your seat during Finals. Bring a bucket or plastic bag for your makeshift facility.

Block of the Day: Saturday's 2nd Block

I'm counting about seven Finalists from this block. James Bowie has a very solid show, as well as Brazoswood. Marcus will melt you to the seat with the best sound in the Nation. Hebron is having a fantastic season. Coppell and Colleyville Heritage has different show philosophies but both are very good in their own right. Westlake has a great season last year and I am anticipating the same from them this year.

Super Regional Finalists (14 Programs, In No Order):

1. L.D. Bell

2. Marcus

3. Cedar Park

4. Richland

5. Coppell

6. Winston Churchill

7. The Woodlands

8. James Bowie

9. Brazoswood

10. Colleyville Heritage

11. Hebron

12. Westlake

13. Stephen F. Austin

14. Clear Brook

I feel pretty comfortable with what I have above. Martin, Ronald Reagan, Spring, Keller, Haltom, Pflugerville, and Langham Creek has a shot, but those programs will need a great performance to be considered.

The level of competition at this Regional is ridiculous. Programs cannot afford a bad performance in Prelims. Just ask James Bowie 2006 how that feels. They rebounded from missing Finals at the Super Regional by making State and Grand National Finals just days later, but I think you get my point. At a Regional like this, the crest on your jacket will only take you so far. A Finalist spot must be earned on the field. Perform well, and you could be in. If you don't, you could be watching Finals from the stands.

Super Regional Champion: L.D. Bell or Marcus. I'll explain this more in depth tomorrow.

Interesting Things:

- Check out Jackson Academy at 8:15 on Friday night. The program has less than thirty members, but each one is utilized to their full potential. They stay in between the 40 yard lines the entire time. Expect to see at least one tarp with multiple props on it. Don't be surprised if a trumpet player picks up a clarinet and jams out on it. If I don't have you convinced just yet, chew on this: The program uses many students who are not in the High School grades of Jackson Academy in their marching band, which means that you could see two middle school trombone players double tonging some jazz charts.

- From 7:00 - 7:30, you can see three North East Independent School District schools in a row (Johnson, Ronald Reagan, Winston Churchill).

- 24 programs on Friday. 28 programs on Saturday. 52 participating programs total.

this being my first time to watch a BOA event and not being in it, I was wondering if there will still be tickets if I choose to just purchase them at the gate? Like it won't sell out will it?

There will be plenty of tickets and it is all General Admission during Prelims. The upper deck will open up for Finals (Reserved) or as needed.

Check out Jackson Academy at 8:15 on Friday night. The program has less than thirty members, but each one is utilized to their full potential. They stay in between the 40 yard lines the entire time. Expect to see at least one tarp with multiple props on it. Don't be surprised if a trumpet player picks up a clarinet and jams out on it. If I don't have you convinced just yet, chew on this: The program uses many students who are not in the High School grades of Jackson Academy in their marching band, which means that you could see two middle school trombone players double tonging some jazz charts.

Dr. Tim was actually here at Sam Houston just last week giving a Music Education related motivational speech telling a story about this little tiny band program that showed up to a BOA contest that could play tons of different instruments and wowed the heck out of the crowd. The lesson related to how kids are only limited to what we tell them they're limited to, though he didn't specify which band did this. It was most likely Jackson Academy.

Dr. Tim was actually here at Sam Houston just last week giving a Music Education related motivational speech telling a story about this little tiny band program that showed up to a BOA contest that could play tons of different instruments and wowed the heck out of the crowd. The lesson related to how kids are only limited to what we tell them they're limited to, though he didn't specify which band did this. It was most likely Jackson Academy.

Definitely. I've heard him give that same speech before. They'll probably end up winning Class A and have a raucous crowd cheering them on in Exhibition.

I am not really sold on colleyville heritage making finals at this Saturday, they were in 5th place at birdville this year behind Keller high school, a band that A LOT of people are leaving out of finals and a band that got 9th at last years BOA San Antonio. I am sure that both of those bands have improved a lot since then but it is something to think about

I am not really sold on colleyville heritage making finals at this Saturday, they were in 5th place at birdville this year behind Keller high school, a band that A LOT of people are leaving out of finals and a band that got 9th at last years BOA San Antonio. I am sure that both of those bands have improved a lot since then but it is something to think about

yeah hopefully they've improved from last year's let down season thanks to their drill writer