2009: BOA San Antonio, TX Super Regional

I am not really sold on colleyville heritage making finals at this Saturday, they were in 5th place at birdville this year behind Keller high school, a band that A LOT of people are leaving out of finals and a band that got 9th at last years BOA San Antonio. I am sure that both of those bands have improved a lot since then but it is something to think about

Definitely something to think about. However, you also have to look at the type of system that was used at the Birdville ISD Contest. The judging system was sort of a UIL-style sheet. You had two judges evaluate the exact same music sheet and two judges evaluate the exact same visual sheet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you have to consider how these systems work when comparing results from different shows.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how does the UTA band march? Like all of the high schools? I'm in the UT longhorn band and we all kind of frown upon the "high school" college bands lol

Its leaning towards the high school shows, probably because be march at 2 BOA competitions every year (although we almost didn't do San Antonio this year). Although we still a lot of cheese thrown in that you would expect from a College band. Its funny because a lot of people here don't like the show band style. Honestly, a selling point at UTA for me was that they didn't march the show band style (no offense).

We also never high step. But we also don't do straight leg, we do Cavaliers style marching.

Edited by rpd

how does the UTA band march? Like all of the high schools? I'm in the UT longhorn band and we all kind of frown upon the "high school" college bands lol

The better question is when does the band perform? There is no football team, so UTA Band holds sole rights to their field but with no team means no games and no fans. :(

Its leaning towards the high school shows, probably because be march at 2 BOA competitions every year (although we almost didn't do San Antonio this year). Although we still a lot of cheese thrown in that you would expect from a College band. Its funny because a lot of people here don't like the show band style. Honestly, a selling point at UTA for me was that they didn't march the show band style (no offense).

We also never high step. But we also don't do straight leg, we do Cavaliers style marching.

By frown upon "high school" marching style he means we make fun of Oklahoma because they look and march like a high school marching band. Texas doesn't try to pretend to be a "traditional" band. We are there to entertain the fans and pump up the football team. That's why we did a show where we formed a giant mario that proceeded to jump over fire balls. Best crowd response I have ever gotten while marching besides marching and playing Texas Fight in the Cotton Bowl and not being able to hear anything besides the sound of fans cheering along with us.

Anywho. Back on topic. :)

The better question is when does the band perform? There is no football team, so UTA Band holds sole rights to their field but with no team means no games and no fans. :(

This year we performed at a cowboys game, 2 BOA competitions, 2 local competitions, and a UIL Region competition. Our marching season ends when the high school competitive marching season ends. The only real drag about not having a football team is that September drags on fooooooorever. October has been really fun though.

Oh, and the field is used every Friday night by Arlington high school games.

Edited by rpd

Definitely something to think about. However, you also have to look at the type of system that was used at the Birdville ISD Contest. The judging system was sort of a UIL-style sheet. You had two judges evaluate the exact same music sheet and two judges evaluate the exact same visual sheet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you have to consider how these systems work when comparing results from different shows.

I agree that the system was different and I did think about that but colleyville didn't exactly blow the field away in GE at BOA Arlington either

This year we performed at a cowboys game, 2 BOA competitions, 2 local competitions, and a UIL Region competition. Our marching season ends when the high school competitive marching season ends. The only real drag about not having a football team is that September drags on fooooooorever. October has been really fun though.

Oh, and the field is used every Friday night by Arlington high school games.

I'm pretty sure the Soccer team plays on it too.

They used to for sure. Not sure if they still do.

By frown upon "high school" marching style he means we make fun of Oklahoma because they look and march like a high school marching band. Texas doesn't try to pretend to be a "traditional" band. We are there to entertain the fans and pump up the football team. That's why we did a show where we formed a giant mario that proceeded to jump over fire balls. Best crowd response I have ever gotten while marching besides marching and playing Texas Fight in the Cotton Bowl and not being able to hear anything besides the sound of fans cheering along with us.

Anywho. Back on topic. :)

Don't hate.

Boomer Sooners!

To try and avert a massive border war on the forums, I think I'll go ahead and throw my predictions up here, with tiers:

The Frontrunners

1) LD Bell

2) Marcus

That's how they're going to fall. Now that we're finally seeing them working on the same time-scale, I'm starting to think that Marcus beating Bell in recent years has more to do with Marcus's accelerated peak, compared to Bell's.

The Contenders

3) The Woodlands

4) Stephen F. Austin

5) Cedar Park

6) James Bowie

7) Hebron

Surprising that these next five were the top five at Houston and third place at Arlington? Not really. Houston was long enough ago that I don't quite have a read on where these bands are now (local contests, etc. not withstanding). And having not seen Hebron against anybody this high other than Bell and Marcus, I'm honestly not sure what else to do with them.

Lurking, Not Looming

8) Richland

9) Coppell

10) Clear Brook

11) Brazoswood

12) Colleyville Heritage

I think these five are solid finalists, but perhaps not much else. Which is rather sad to say. I could see any of these bands making a major step up since we last saw them (especially Richland), but I don't know whether or not they can crack the layers above them.

On the Verge

13) Ronald Reagan

14) Winston Churchill

15) Westlake

16) Haltom

Not much to say here, except that it's kinda sad to see how far Churchill and Haltom fallen since last year. Again, though, I wouldn't be surprised if either of these programs made a major step up since we last saw them.

Edited by ftwdrummer

last 3 spots open for:

Reagan

Colleyville

Coppell

Langham Creek

Haltom

Keller

Spring

Hopefully Langham won't miss finals by 1 place this year like they did at San Antonio in both 2007 and 2008. I really want them to make finals this year just because of that fact :mellow: .

...3 years of missing finals by 1 spot; if I were the band director there I would probably cry if that happened.

Hopefully Langham won't miss finals by 1 place this year like they did at San Antonio in both 2007 and 2008. I really want them to make finals this year just because of that fact :mellow: .

...3 years of missing finals by 1 spot; if I were the band director there I would probably cry if that happened.

I would almost rather place in the twenties then get 1 place from finals, that is just a bad feeling.

I haven't seen many shows this year, since I am now in a college band and we haven't had free time. I was just wondering peoples opinions, I have seen a couple of shows like LD BELL, MARCUS and HEBRON, and the look really good. How does these bands seem to rank with others what's your idea of this weekend. Do we have an upsets coming with weekend?

Wasn't it Centerville that placed in 13th place at Grand Nats for several years?

Friendly reminder:

If you're at the Alamodome tomorrow and want to check out the live blog, hop on your cell phone's browser and go to live.txbands.com

You'll be able to view our Live Blog on the go, wherever you are!

Are you going to be sitting in the same area at the dome as last year?

I am an event volunteer again this year through the host band and will be practically living at the dome for the next two days.

Are you going to be sitting in the same area at the dome as last year?

I am an event volunteer again this year through the host band and will be practically living at the dome for the next two days.

Yes, the plan is to be at the top of section 112 again, right next to the director's viewing area. And you won't be alone in living at the dome. ;)

Finals Draw

We will be updating this periodically throughout prelims this evening and tomorrow as bands draw finals spots, so check back to this post:

1. Judson
  2. Connally
  3. Round Rock
  4. Jackson Academy
  5. The Woodlands
  6. Stephen F Austin
  7. Seven Lakes
  8. Georgetown
  9. Franklin
  10. Skiatook
  11. Clear Brook
  12. New Braunfels