[Major Event] UIL State Contest

I so agree with you...I feel like marching bands should be traditional and not have all of those props for distractions

Though I could agree to a point, I feel that this is a fundamentally poor argument. This could maybe be the case (and most likely a stretch) if a band got say 20th in marching instead of 25th, but it is very hard to argue the top groups in terms of how they look visually.

Also, something that I think many fail to realize is the main reason for having props: giving the members that did not get a marching spot an important role in the show. As a program, you have a better chance at retaining members if you give them something to do and let them know that they are an important part of the organization, rather than cast them out because they did not get a marching spot. Marcus has over 300 members, and considering the numbers they march, that would leave out a good amount of student involvement.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says the person from Cedar Park.

I will admit your show held my attention, which is more than I can say for a LOT of the bands that performed in the finals. But marching band isn't really just about marching and playing all the time. Sometimes it's nice to tell a story.

Although I understand why you guys did well at state. You march and play very well. But I thought BOA would have knocked you down a few pegs, since they're so effects-oriented.

Either way, congratulations.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, that was actually our theme. The way our director explained it to us is that it's just supposed to be awesome. I wasn't trying to hype, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but that was actually the theme of the show.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, that was actually our theme. The way our director explained it to us is that it's just supposed to be awesome. I wasn't trying to hype, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but that was actually the theme of the show.

In other words, the directors didn't want to confuse the audience with a crazy story-line or some deeply intellectual concept. So they instead chose to design a show full of high intensity drill and high intensity music because its just plain fun to watch. See Bell 2000-03

Totally respectable and I definitely enjoyed watching the show. It was a nice change of pace

Though I could agree to a point, I feel that this is a fundamentally poor argument. This could maybe be the case (and most likely a stretch) if a band got say 20th in marching instead of 25th, but it is very hard to argue the top groups in terms of how they look visually.

Also, something that I think many fail to realize is the main reason for having props: giving the members that did not get a marching spot an important role in the show. As a program, you have a better chance at retaining members if you give them something to do and let them know that they are an important part of the organization, rather than cast them out because they did not get a marching spot. Marcus has over 300 members, and considering the numbers they march, that would leave out a good amount of student involvement.

This is so true!!! I was a B my freshman and sophomore year and it really stunk for me because i felt i was left out and not really part of the band and chose NOT to be part of the band in anyway for some strange reason . This year though I got my own spot, but some of the other kids that did not, got to be bats. [our show consisted of bat wings used by the guard]

Edited by XchsXbandXnerdX

okay duncanville has 300 members and they've been state champs 3 times. and have been in the top 3 since "89- although that tradition was broken yesturday, they still have been to state about 25 times and consecutive for 20 years...so that doesn't give future members of D'Ville's band something to look foward to and be apart of a tradition?

Oops! Looks my my prelims source from earlier was misinformed. :P

Prelims results are surprisingly consistent. All five judges had the top eight bands in finals. Can't think of the last time that happened. There was a much closer 10/11 gap than usual and I find that a bit discomforting, but no judge really killed Berkner. I guess judge one helped Richland a lot but he also had Bekner in.

Hmm...=/ I'm wondering if our band should conform to "modern marching band" seeing as traditional shows can't win anymore...maybe we could just get really easy drill and make it perfect...that seems to be the trend these days.

Its not about winning! Its about putting out a product that you can enjoy performing and hopefully the crowd can enjoy watching, and the process it took to get there. I enjoy both "modern" shows and the old school blow your face off march crazy drill shows equally. Don't get so caught up in a number!

hmm...I know this is a forum about marching band...but I just think it's funny how there aren't props yet in concert band..but who knows..maybe marcus could whip out some uber props for that too...

(This is meant to be a ridiculous post, because it seems absurd that props would be used in a concert setting, but it's just as ridiculous to me to use props in marching band...)

Its not about winning! Its about putting out a product that you can enjoy performing and hopefully the crowd can enjoy watching, and the process it took to get there. I enjoy both "modern" shows and the old school blow your face off march crazy drill shows equally. Don't get so caught up in a number!

Yeah, I've been hearing that a lot lately..I guess it doesn't really matter...I mean years from now if I had won a medal, that's not what I would remember.

hmm...I know this is a forum about marching band...but I just think it's funny how there aren't props yet in concert band..but who knows..maybe marcus could whip out some uber props for that too...

(This is meant to be a ridiculous post, because it seems absurd that props would be used in a concert setting, but it's just as ridiculous to me to use props in marching band...)

This entire thread sounds like it is fresh out of the cabbage patch....can't you hear all the crying? (Except the cool post above...that is what this is about.) Why...Why does it have to be that way? Congratulate the bands that won and move on. No "poor me" and no "how dare they judge that way." If you have a valid point, defend it. Otherwise....we will resume this 5A conversation 2 years from now. Because the reality is it does not matter who wins in 2010 either. It will piss someone off.

Edited by just_a_texas_girl

All the bands were "awesome" yesterday and it was a tough battle for the top ten. I dont know that I agree with the UIL points and how they judged them but its all over the place. Coppell was "loud" but their show was still tainted by the "cheating" soundboard that the director signed the rules he knew but still did in both contests. Anyway that is here nor there and I jsut encourage all I hear talking to write the UIL about it all. I did hear however that there was a band DQ'ed because their director just touched the board during performance yesterday, does anyone know who that was?

If it is 'here nor there' why keep bring it up. Congratulation to ALL the bands that performed yesterday. They all put on a great show yesterday.

It was such a great competition this year!

The scores were very widespread, but as our director said, art is subjective. With such diverse and great shows this year, i almost expected that to happen. Congrats to all the bands that performed!

I admit, I wanted to win, but I'm glad I finished my last state year with such a great performance :)

A quick comparison, and reasoning.

*Note* I'm not bashing any band, I love both schools, and I love watching these two duke it out in recent years, I'm just pointing out what I saw, and what went through my head.

The thing that got to me was that, sure Marcus was using props, but at the same time, their band didn't have nearly as many hold sets as Bell did. Marcus' music was pretty amazing hearing that clarity on the move. I loved watching the Bell band, but when I looked down i saw 5 synthesizers! Then when I looked even closer, I saw mic'd instruments within the band! When I looked at Marcus, I saw that the only mic'd instruments were the oboe, and bassoon. And you can't march those instruments. Both bands had high entertainment values, but for different reasons, for me, it looked like Bell was playing THEN marching most of their show, than marching AND playing. When Bell did play and march they had very slow easy to march tempos. Bell did have fast tempos, but on the other side of the field, the sections that were playing had either small steps, or were holding.

This must be what the judges saw, because UIL is very strict on how they judge the DIFFICULTY and how well its executed, whereas BOA wants to know how cool of a show they can execute. Don't get me wrong, UIL and BOA both judge cleanliness, but when both bands are excellently clean where do you go? In my opinion, they went to difficulty.

Congradulations to both Bell and Marcus on outstanding seasons, and I'll be rooting for Bell at Grand Nats!

Edited by 12345