[Major Event] UIL State Contest

I'm really upset that marcus won over ld bell. i definitely think ld bell has WAY better music. marcus had a better show, entertainment wise, but this is not a marching play- it should be a marching band. although entertaing, you hardly notice marcus' music at all. also, am i the only one who thinks its INSANE to spend $84,000 on props???

$84,000 ?? Is that what they spent or is that an exaggeration for emphasis?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, am i the only one who thinks its INSANE to spend $84,000 on props???

I am not from marcus but from a school near them and know that they did not spend $84,000 on props. All of their props were made out of styrophome and were carved and shaped by band parents. Their props didn't even cost close to $10,000.

Says the person from Cedar Park.

I will admit your show held my attention, which is more than I can say for a LOT of the bands that performed in the finals. But marching band isn't really just about marching and playing all the time. Sometimes it's nice to tell a story.

Although I understand why you guys did well at state. You march and play very well. But I thought BOA would have knocked you down a few pegs, since they're so effects-oriented.

Either way, congratulations.

I love it how marching band changed so much over the years that people expect stories, theatrics and props in their shows, and and place music and marching underneath general effect, which is what it sounds like your saying.

And your comment about having BOA knock them down a few pegs, even though they got 3rd, probably goes to show that the judges (who do band for a living) at BOA or UIL know a bit more about what a good marching band show is than a student.

Just congratulate and compliment all the competing bands, what ever their shows were, and whether you liked them or not, and leave it at that. The critiquing was for the judges.

i loved it! but marcus worked so hard, and i think that they really did deserve to win it!

All these bands worked really hard... not just marcus. Everyone puts in hours, days, weeks, months of hard work. Not just marcus.Bell couldnt have won BOA Saturday without all that really hard work. and none of the bands who made state could have made it with out all that hard work. so marcus doesnt deserve to win just because "they worked so hard" because everyone did. you cant have a successful show without working hard.

Edited by TXBandNerd07

OK, I think that everyone can probably agree that neither Bell nor Duncanville deserved their 10th place music votes and that such votes are completely ridiculous.

So, I've done some analysis of the full Finals rankings and found that if you apply my mathematical method for determining and removing the most "off" judge (like the 10s for Bell and Duncanville) for a band in the music caption (can't do marching caption because there aren't enough judges) that the new rankings come out like this:

1. Marcus (6)

2. Bell (11)

3. Duncanville (17) up 3 positions

4. Cedar Park (19)

5. Coppell (21) down 2 positions

*6. Bowie (23) down 1 position

*7. Richland (23)

8. Churchill (29)

*9. Hebron (32) up 1 position

*10. Westlake (32) down 1 position

* = Tie Broken by Judges Preference with all 5 judges in place.

That is a LOT of movement.

But, by throwing out 1 of the music judges, I've now changed the weighting of Music and Marching to be 50/50 instead of 60/40. So, if I weight the Music caption by 0.6 and the Marching caption by 0.4, this is how things come out:

1. Marcus (2.8)

2. Bell (5.4)

3. Duncanville (7.8) up 3 positions

4. Cedar park (10)

*5. Coppell (11.2) down 2 positions

*6. Richland (11.2) up 1 position

7. Bowie (12) down 2 positions

8. Churchill (13.4)

9. Westlake (15.6)

10. Hebron (16.4)

Look at all the inconsistencies! There's many, but these are the ones that stick out:

Bell: 3 2 10 5 1

Coppell: 2 8 6 3 4

Bowie: 6 3 8 1 8

Duncanville: 4 10 1 6 6

Just goes to show how subjective marching band is.

Congratulations to all the bands, especially Marcus.

i think some of the judges got a little "10th place" happy because looking at the raw scores it looked like almost every band got at least one 10th place.. churchill got 2. i think the judging is screwed up. Ive seen some of those shows and i know its based on their performances at the contest but some of those bands got a lower score and placing that i wouldve placed them.

congrats to marcus though. in my opinion, that was what i think the BOA SA contest and state contest were really about. if it was going to be marcus or bell this time. at least bell won one contest and marcus one another. haha. but good job to all the bands. especially marcus and bell

Says the person from Cedar Park.

I will admit your show held my attention, which is more than I can say for a LOT of the bands that performed in the finals. But marching band isn't really just about marching and playing all the time. Sometimes it's nice to tell a story.

Although I understand why you guys did well at state. You march and play very well. But I thought BOA would have knocked you down a few pegs, since they're so effects-oriented.

Either way, congratulations.

did anyone see like that 4 or 5 person pile up at BOA SA finals of cedar parks show? i have to say that was a nice recovery there

All the bands were "awesome" yesterday and it was a tough battle for the top ten. I dont know that I agree with the UIL points and how they judged them but its all over the place. Coppell was "loud" but their show was still tainted by the "cheating" soundboard that the director signed the rules he knew but still did in both contests. Anyway that is here nor there and I jsut encourage all I hear talking to write the UIL about it all. I did hear however that there was a band DQ'ed because their director just touched the board during performance yesterday, does anyone know who that was?

People need to stop with the whole "Coppell cheating". The director only turned the soundboard on and off, which in no way helps the show, and therefore does nothing to the judging of the show. Coppell placed 3rd with a student now turning the soundboard on and off, so obviously the fact remains Coppell deserved their spot, as did all bands present. And there's no use complaining about judging. In fact, one signs up for UIL and toil for hours knowing that in the end it's up to how the judges perceive their show.

On a happier note, Congratulations to all the bands, this was by far the most talented groupings at finals I could probably say ever.

Edited by melo-tone

Im surprising myself by saying this but I actually trust the BOA judges A LOT more than the State judges now. With us being a "UIL" band and getting fourth while going to the BOA super regional and getting third is shocking to me. I figured that the top three would be the same. Where did coppel come from? We smoked them at the Arlington regional. Not trying to start an argument or anything but the judging really needs to be looked at. We feel like we were a top 3 band and with scores "3,4,5,6,7" it just couldnt happen, its all messed up.

Just goes along with what the past 4 years have been for me.

Man oh man. The one thing about Hebron is... we always do so much worse in finals than in prelims! For example... this year at BOA SA we went from 6th to 8th. At UIL State we went from 7th to 10th. I hope the kids that take over in the next couple of years can reverse our curse. I can really see us going far in years to come.

Since I completely disagree with Coppell's placement, I'll just go ahead and say that I agree with the top 2. Marcus had a phenomenal finals performance, while Bell's was just a bit ho-hum for me personally. And how lame would it be if Bell dominated EVERYTHING!? I'm glad that they each got their moments to shine.

Can someone explain to me what Cedar Park's show is about? I'm still confused. All I remember is the fortissississississimo park-and-barks and the slow-paced ballad. I know it's called On Edge, but... of what? Insanity? It just didn't actually have a theme to me. No props, either.

there is no reason or anything to our show spicer said we were just wanting something more cp-ish as oposed to pursuit of happiness last year lol yeah we pretty much just play loud and kick butt

Im surprising myself by saying this but I actually trust the BOA judges A LOT more than the State judges now. With us being a "UIL" band and getting fourth while going to the BOA super regional and getting third is shocking to me. I figured that the top three would be the same. Where did coppel come from? We smoked them at the Arlington regional. Not trying to start an argument or anything but the judging really needs to be looked at. We feel like we were a top 3 band and with scores "3,4,5,6,7" it just couldnt happen, its all messed up.

Just goes along with what the past 4 years have been for me.

Oddly, people seem to trust the judging system that gives them the higher placement. Go figure. I'm sorry you don't agree with the placements but you guys probably had one of the loudest crowd reactions of the night. That should be enough to combat any bitter feelings that are harbored.

tamilou... you really should calm down with some of the things you're saying. You've been on the forums for two weeks. You have four posts, and in three of them you've either super-hyped your own band, bashed another band, or called somebody dumb. Now, I have great respect for the Cedar Park program, but you're really not representing your band very well.

i just think it's a little weird that all of their props and stuff distract everyone from thier legs...and toes wow some of their toes are up and some of them are doing a bad version of jaz step or maybe they just aren't good marchers...i'm in front ensemble and i see what most people don't cuz i hate props and i love marching!!!

I so agree with you...I feel like marching bands should be traditional and not have all of those props for distractions