[Major Event] UIL State Contest

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'd rather see a faster "edgy" show thats a little dirty than a boring show thats really clean.

Well then perhaps when you become a UIL judge you can score accordingly, but the fact remains that the panel on Tuesday wanted to see clean marching and playing, no matter the tempo.

EDIT: Well, that is in terms of if the show actually makes sense with it's tempo (who would want to hear Flight of the Bumblebee at 44 bpm?)

Edited by royfjord

thanks for the props, jedi. its pretty awesome that we won, there were alotta tight drumlines competing.

and sorry bout all the crap a few people from cp are starting, i hope yall know that we dont want it to reflect all of us and its just a few people who are still sore from this year. as i know yall know, we got really attached to the show this year, and some people are making their opinions about our placing and others placing more voiced than others.

so yeah.

peace yall?

thanks for the props, jedi. its pretty awesome that we won, there were alotta tight drumlines competing.

and sorry bout all the crap a few people from cp are starting, i hope yall know that we dont want it to reflect all of us and its just a few people who are still sore from this year. as i know yall know, we got really attached to the show this year, and some people are making their opinions about our placing and others placing more voiced than others.

so yeah.

peace yall?

A few bad apples always spoil the whole batch.

State was a real treat to experience for the first time, and congrats to all the bands who competed.

L.D. Bell's show was quite different from the previous time we saw it at BOA Houston/Pearland, but it still gave me goosebumps as always.

Hebron....omg. Those eyes gave me the creeps, and I loved the Psycho scream that made my ears ring.

Churchill's show, I loved the guard, although muffled screams of girls isn't exactly something I'd like to listen to but it adds an eerie effect.

Donna-A very cute show and it was entertaining to watch, especially the sousaphants [sousas + elephants] the trombone solo made me shiver at the end...it was a shame he didn't hit that note.

Cy-Falls- The small pillars made me think of wedding cakes the whole time and made me hungry D:

and I think the bird that landed on the mic was hilarious. The white flags in the ballad were gorgeous.

Brazoswood- I'm still a fan of y'all's show, goosebumps from beginning to end.

I know this isn't all of the bands, but these are just the few that I was able to see.

It was a shame that I wasn't able to see Marcus's show this year, I prefer seeing it in person than having to anxiously wait on youtube.

I hate reading through these posts and seeing a million Ceader Park kids praising themselves. I thought they picked good music and marched pretty well. The show was a little boring, but thats all right. What I didn't like was sitting next to them during the prelims announcements. COMPLETELY obnoxious. Seriously, chanting for youselfs? I think bands should have a little more class than that.

But whatever. You guys did well, so I give my congratulations. I thought all the bands did well actually.

As for the judging system, it is what it is. I personally don't agree with the inconsistancy, but there really isn't anything anyone can do about UIL judging.

I hate reading through these posts and seeing a million Ceader Park kids praising themselves. I thought they picked good music and marched pretty well. The show was a little boring, but thats all right. What I didn't like was sitting next to them during the prelims announcements. COMPLETELY obnoxious. Seriously, chanting for youselfs? I think bands should have a little more class than that.

Other bands were doing the exact same thing. From what I understand, it was some chant that is done at football games. I didn't find any problem with it, simply because the wait for Prelims Announcements can be excruciating. You gotta stave off the boredom somehow!

Other bands were doing the exact same thing. From what I understand, it was some chant that is done at football games. I didn't find any problem with it, simply because the wait for Prelims Announcements can be excruciating. You gotta stave off the boredom somehow!

I think there's was more self hype. But then again I couldn't hear anyone else's.

I think there's was more self hype. But then again I couldn't hear anyone else's.

What I don't like is how 3 or 4 pages of this thread were complaints about placement and judging.

First, people need to realize clearly that what they say on these boards can totally wreck the image of their band program. Seeing that most programs take years and years to build up, there's no reason to have their reputation destroyed over an internet forum. If I was the director, I'd be really upset.

It's a marching band discussion; if there's a self-hype placement issue, argue it out over the messaging system.

All the bands worked hard, but a decision had to be made. Keep the integrity. That's all there is to it.

to comment on the chant thing, yeah, that's a football thing we do at CP to get the crowd hyped. it's just fun to do and we decided to start it cuz we were bored waiting for the announcements. i'm sorry if it came off as self-hype, it wasn't meant that way.

and jedi, thanks for sayin that. i can't count the millions of times i get on here and sigh cuz someone, from our school or anothers, is being stupid and sayin stuff that makes their band look bad.

to comment on the chant thing, yeah, that's a football thing we do at CP to get the crowd hyped. it's just fun to do and we decided to start it cuz we were bored waiting for the announcements. i'm sorry if it came off as self-hype, it wasn't meant that way.

and jedi, thanks for sayin that. i can't count the millions of times i get on here and sigh cuz someone, from our school or anothers, is being stupid and sayin stuff that makes their band look bad.

I keep an eye on people from my school and instill fear in them about what they post. I haven't had any problems yet. :]

It really wasn't a huge deal; I understand where you guys are coming from. Especially if it's a chant you guys do at your football games. I guess the way we were raised as a band we just didn't really chant all that much. But different backgrounds shouldn't be a solid reason for judgement, so if I came off that way, I apologize.

I think Marcus puts out an incomplete show on purpose wanting to save the reveal of their ending until their final competition. So they could have had Zeus out and in the process of cleaning they just chose not to perform it.

but they have put out zeus already. they performed it at area b finals.

Marcus had a great show but I found the Zues section to be a little.. lackluster. I mean, each section was so big and emotional, then Zeus comes out and it's like.. here I am.. the end.

Still a fantastic show.

I was surprised to see Coppell so high, but then I remembered it was UIL. Even though their drill is somewhat easier than most, it's very clean and they know how to play. Congrats to them.

The only thing that bothered me about the scoring was the inconsistency of the judgings.. but that comes with almost every competition.

Marcus had a great show but I found the Zues section to be a little.. lackluster. I mean, each section was so big and emotional, then Zeus comes out and it's like.. here I am.. the end.

Still a fantastic show.

I was surprised to see Coppell so high, but then I remembered it was UIL. Even though their drill is somewhat easier than most, it's very clean and they know how to play. Congrats to them.

The only thing that bothered me about the scoring was the inconsistency of the judgings.. but that comes with almost every competition.

uh except Coppell marched and played for like 90% of the time while in other bands (no disrespectin') one section played standing still while another did difficult drill but didnt play.

Wow. People really need to chill out. The facts remain that people should just do their thing (fast marching, slow marching, clean marching, marching and playing, playing and marching) and do it the best they can. All bands in finals did that, and in the end it comes down to how the judges (who have YEARS MORE experience in judging bands than some egotistical kids most likely with a s/n like jakedrummer) think your band placed.

As the judges say "Everyone is a winner"...

O.k. so nobody really follows that.

^ I agree in the end it is only a circular piece of medal, and another trophy to add to your band hall. What marching band is about is coming together as an ensemble to create something larger than yourselves. We perform to make an emotional connection to the audience so that for 7-11min they forget about the world outside and focus on the emotion trying to be created on the field. What we do is an art, it was not created to be judged, it was created to connect us as human beings. We simply created a judging system to help us become better at connecting but not to create fights among students over what one judge's opinion said. The one thing as a freshman that I learned occured at my first two contests. We had a car crash in our band and someone died in our band. The next day at my first contest the Georgetown Band (I love you guys!) did not make finals at TOC Carrolton, but chose to stay and support us in our time of struggle. The Round Rock Band Boosters made green ribbons for every band member at the Westlake Contest to wear on their uniforms in honor of our lost member. Hendrickson, our cross town rival, prepared dinner for us (for free) at our game the week after the wreck. Now to me that screams what is good about band. We can come together to be amazing, or we can sit here and cry and moan because our favorite (or own) band didnt place where we thought they should, the choice is yours.

^ I agree in the end it is only a circular piece of medal, and another trophy to add to your band hall. What marching band is about is coming together as an ensemble to create something larger than yourselves. We perform to make an emotional connection to the audience so that for 7-11min they forget about the world outside and focus on the emotion trying to be created on the field. What we do is an art, it was not created to be judged, it was created to connect us as human beings. We simply created a judging system to help us become better at connecting but not to create fights among students over what one judge's opinion said. The one thing as a freshman that I learned occured at my first two contests. We had a car crash in our band and someone died in our band. The next day at my first contest the Georgetown Band (I love you guys!) did not make finals at TOC Carrolton, but chose to stay and support us in our time of struggle. The Round Rock Band Boosters made green ribbons for every band member at the Westlake Contest to wear on their uniforms in honor of our lost member. Hendrickson, our cross town rival, prepared dinner for us (for free) at our game the week after the wreck. Now to me that screams what is good about band. We can come together to be amazing, or we can sit here and cry and moan because our favorite (or own) band didnt place where we thought they should, the choice is yours.

Amen good sir.