[Major Event] UIL State Contest

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some have probably asked this already, but did any review/ make up their own score sheet for the contest?

I read over all of the BOA reviews, and liked that there was info on all of em, any chance anyone did this for UIL?

Thanks!

If you go to http://live.txbands.com I reviewed every* band in Prelims for both 3A and 5A.

* - A mystery reviewer did the reviews for Duncanville and LD Bell.

and again, i never said pokerface was 17. both times i've said anything about it, it was in the form of a question. what amuses me the most about it is that he has never provided an answer, and instead lets other former bell kids inform me, i assume in an attempt to make me feel dumb for not already knowing who he is. sorry to disappoint you guys, turns out i'm not another one of your former band mates D:
Edit- Rehtorical, immature questions deserve no answer. If you were wanting to know my age, you could've asked me or pmed me to find out. You clearly had no interest in if I was 17 (why the number 17 I don't know), and to pretend like you were waiting on an answer to that is simply idiotic.

Oh c'mon man you took shots at more than just me in very tasteless ways, then called BlueBell's opinions classless. I just happen to take them as well as I dish them out. Also, you don't have to actually know someone to debate a point, but anything you had to say included some sort of attempt at a personal shot. I'm typically pretty calm in debating, but when you start the whole "wahhh wahhh" and "sobsobsob" immature bs, I will happily return the favor in my rebuttles. It seems you just couldn't handle taking what you dished out and had to run off and report my posts to admins; which did no good for your case. That's cool if you want to take that route, but if you want to actually debate, leave it between you and I arguing points that are valid. You got on some tanget because one Bell Alumni said that they thought Bell's music this year had great range and variety, and that they thought Marcus' music was one dimensional. That is not that big of a deal, that's a very basic opinion and really not insulting to anyone except for the music arranger. He said Marcus plays their style very well, as does Bell play their style very well. You blew it out of proportion because you clearly took some personal offense to it. Also, your continued use of satire to attempt to insult or talk down is very immature and really hurts any civilized conversation you might try to induce. You use your "sorry to dissapoint, i'm not a former band mate D:" or "What? are you seventeen?" lines in that satiric way. It just goes to show your age/maturity level, that's all it really does. I'm not sure why the age of someone matters to you that much if they can carry on a healthy debate or conversation. Clearly you cannot because you resort back to your childish sarcasm and attempt at insults.

Last thing. No, I am not a Bell kid, but I did have a lot of close friends that went there and happen to be very, very close to some of their staff/former staff members. Their influence on the activity along with many other groups are why I hold them to such a high standard, and wish that the UIL would conform their system to these high standards.

Edited by pokerface

This is where you are wrong. If you were older, and were around longer, you would know there were far more complaints the year that Bell won in 2004 than there are this year. Look at the scoring that year, look at it in 2002, look at it in 2000. Consistently inconsistent. Your statement that it only started when Bell started losing is bogus and you need to do your homework and figure this stuff out. I'm glad you think i'm seventeen though, shows just how little you actually know.

i have been around and closely followed marching band in Texas since 2000 and i can personally verify that the complaints and inconsistencies for the 2004 state marching band contest were the worst i have ever witnessed. bands went from 1st in prelims to 5th in finals (with a far superior finals run) and there were severe judging discrepancies all across the board for several bands. there is a reason that spring and westfield decided to drop out of UIL several years ago even after all the championships they won in the previous two decades. (i know they are back in UIL now)

Duncanville and Cedar Parks bands were loud and impressive but what about the bands that actually did some hard marching. Should they just now focus on not marching and be loud and forget the hard things. I saw many bands that didnt do hard marching (not saying it wasnt hard in that way) they did practice and do hard things but what about the ones with not as much sound that did the "technical hard" marching.

I am still disturbed by the straight jacket people that was strange! They did it well but it was disturbing.

But most definately in all the UIL contests I think the state judges were allll over the place with their scores!

I think Marcus had the better show and it reflected in their being number one as it was a great show. I do see how it is harder for the schools that have smallers bands and budgets to compete with the others though.

Haha No. State...outside...NEVER

5A State. Been there. Done that.

Never hold a major competition outside EVER.

It was cold. Pouring Rain. AWFUL. there were no lines on the field practically half way through it. and so many people go hurt from the mud, it was ridiculous.

dam i'm old..

Ah yes, I remember the good old days. We never really cared about UIL marching band after that.

You know, it's easy to look at the judging discrepancies of UIL and criticize them, but it's a different story to come up with a better system. Should it be like BOA? USSBA? Local contests? Perhaps this is the argument we should be having.

Should GE be included in UIL judging?

Thats true on the better system and judging. Hard to say like BOA because they want the flash, I do wonder though why they were just everywhere on this judging

Thats true on the better system and judging. Hard to say like BOA because they want the flash, I do wonder though why they were just everywhere on this judging

That's what happens when you get an extremely diverse group of judges that aren't used to the system and ideals that they are supposed to be judging in.

Well... I feel I need to say this, I was there and I enjoyed all the bands there....but one I want to mention is North Shore who had one day to prepare for State after finding out that they are in after The Woodlands had to pullout. The not only made it but I was really impressed by their performance. Those directors did a great job of getting that band together in short notice. Congrats to North Shore.

Agreed. I didnt see duncanville, but i think our drill was pretty hard, even if just because it was at 180+ for 90% of the opener and closer. Unfortunately, because of our late draw, i only was able to see the last two bands, and from a bad angle, so im definitly not qualified to comment on anyone elses drill.

Agreed. I didnt see duncanville, but i think our drill was pretty hard, even if just because it was at 180+ for 90% of the opener and closer. Unfortunately, because of our late draw, i only was able to see the last two bands, and from a bad angle, so im definitly not qualified to comment on anyone elses drill.

That's why I love my school's curse. We are almost always 1st or 2nd in finals and pre-lims so we get to watch majority of the bands. Haha.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents....

If you look at the prelims results, each individual judge had the top 10 bands in each of their rankings (with a few exceptions), so I think it's ludicrous to complain about who made finals.

If you look at several of the people who have done some analysis and dropped high & low or done some other things, you still end up with Marcus-Bell one-two. After that, it was really wide open for 3rd thru 6th. Personally, I liked Duncanville's show better than all the rest, but I'm only a band parent/nurse, and have no formal training in music.

This year I've got a senior and a freshman, and I told them and the rest of our band two things;

1) How did you feel coming off the field?

2) You know that about 120+ 5A marching bands would trade places with you in a minute if you said to them "You can go to state, but you won't make finals"?

Our kids (Haltom) have been to state several consecutive times (I think all the way back to 2000, but I'm not sure), and have been in the top 10, but not since 2004. We are lucky to live in an area where we get to see and compete with Marcus, Bell, Hebron and Richland (our sister school in Birdville ISD) all the time. We finished 5th in prelims and 4th in finals in area B, trading places with Hebron (Bell, Marcus, Richland 1=2=3). I'm proud of the way our kids compete. Richland had the smallest band in finals and we march about 25 fewer members. You can tell we don't have the budget of some of the other schools, but we have an awesome parent support group.

Lastly, (I've obviously got "geezer ramble-on syndrome"), congratulations to all the bands who made state. Special congrats to the finalists! Marcus deserved the win, and Bell as always handled themselves with class.

Go Buffs!

(& a7th grader on the way!)

Edited by popsx5

CP kids, believe me, no one is going to question the difficulty of your drill, it was very demanding and you pulled it off well. Most people are commenting on bands such as Coppell who had easy drill, so of course they were squeaky clean, and is it fair to rewared lower demand?

(I say a little dirtier but higher demand should trump super clean easy easy drill)