AREA-C 5A Marching Contest

FYI.....

(4) Electronic Equipment. Electronic equipment may be used under the following

provisions:

A. All electronically produced music including narration and sound effects must be

performed live and in real time by eligible students.

B. Pre-recorded music, instrumental or vocal, may not be used.

C. The placement of electronic units must comply with the 5-minute set up and 2-

minute tear down limitations.

(5) Amplification of instruments or voice may be used with the following restriction:

A. All equipment, such as mixers, sound boards, etc. must be operated by eligible

students.

B. AC power cords and AC supplied amplification units must be located outside

the sidelines and endlines.

C. The placement of amplification units must comply with the five-minute set up

and 2-minute tear down limitations.

(6) Violations will be subject to penalties in accordance with Section 27 and Section 29.

(7) Judges will be expected to address the appropriateness and frequency of use of

electronics and amplification as a part of the adjudication process.

(8) Local Ground Rules. Failure to comply with local ground rules and regulations

outlined by and/or approved by the region executive committee may be cause for

disqualification or other penalties as listed in Subchapter R. Such rules must be sent

to all participating schools at least 14 days prior to the contest date.

It's funny rules get bent when the level of competition gets higher.

www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/constitution/music/08_09sec1105_07.pdf

Can we go ahead and call that a dead issue? I think that having the head honcho in UIL allowing us to advance in that he knew everything that happened should be enough to quell anymore thoughts of further controversy and dicussion.

Really, it's more of the fact that a lot of people in my band are messaging me worrying if we are going to get disqualified, and I have to explain the whole situation. I'd like to rest haha :D

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the recap...

Prelims:

Rowlett 4 3 2 1 1

Coppell 3 2 1 3 3

Duncanville 1 1 3 5 4

Berkner 2 6 4 2 2

Sachse 5 4 7 4 5

Richardson 6 10 9 6 8

Lake Highlands 7 8 5 10 9

North Mesquite 11 7 11 7 6

South Grand Prairie 8 5 8 9 13

Robert E. Lee 9 9 6 11 14

John Horn 12 11 10 8 11

Mesquite 10 12 14 15 7

Garland 13 14 12 17 10

Naaman Forest 14 15 16 12 12

DeSoto 17 13 13 14 15

Lakeview 16 16 15 13 16

North Garland 15 17 17 16 17

Finals:

Coppell 1 1 2 1 3

Duncanville 2 2 1 4 1

Berkner 3 3 3 3 2

Rowlett 5 4 6 5 4

Sachse 7 5 4 2 6

Richardson 4 6 5 6 7

Lake Highlands 6 7 7 7 5

Wow. I wonder what caused to judges to turn on Rowlett in finals. From four top three votes in prelims to none in finals. And yay North Mesquite for coming so close!

I am officially heartbroken.

really, i dont even know where to begin...

the whole soundboard thing worries me...

1. if the director did work it, why are the rules being bent?

2. if he didnt work it, why is this whole thing blowing up?

Comming from rowlett, i can honestly say, i have no clue what happened, and im tired of people asking..

i also know that as much as i would love to go to state again, i dont want to be there because some band was unable

to go..

congrats to everyone who is advancing, youve earned it..

This soundboard issue is ridiculous. Even though I am in Sachse's band, I know that Coppell deserves to be in San Antonio this year. I didn't get to see their Finals performance, but based on Prelims they deserve that top spot in the area. They sounded and marched great. The students had nothing to do with this issue and they marched their butts off. It would be disheartening to be disqualified because of a simple mistake by the band director. They have a great chance to do really well in state this year and I wish them good luck. I hope that UIL lets them off.

And I don't say that because I think Rowlett shouldn't be at State. If I had been judging, it would have been:

1.Coppell

2.Duncanville

3.Rowlett

Rivalries don't play a part in my support for Coppell.

But Coppell should be allowed to advance. No question.

what would have been crazy(and i really hate that i thought this, and people are prolly gonna get mad but w/e) was if coppell got DQed, then someone makes an argument about duncanville in prelims and wins that. then that would mean (if they opt to take the alts.) that sachse would make state... again im not saying this will happen, its just one of those what if things...

Yes, it was the 1st assistant director, but that is neither here nor there as the only thing that matters is that it wasn't a student. The question is whether or not he was fixing the problem or running the board.

I talked to a reliable source and heard that Dick Floyd made the executive decision, but it is possible that that decision is just pending the executive board meeting Donezo talked about.

I am a student from Rowlett and have been discussing the problem ALL day at school.

A Coppell director was working the sound board for the entire show, and at the executive borad meeting today

they agreed only to give a reprimand.

(i speak for myself... not the rowlett or sachse bands. so if you have a problem its on me, not them)

So here is my take on these rule violations by the Coppell and Duncanville band directors:

Rules are rules, nobody should be above them regardless of your past history and/or reputation. The fact is that BOTH of these bands clearly broke these rules that have been put in place for reasons and should be penalized properly. A slap on the wrist really does nothing but make the UIL (and Richard Floyd) look bad. Are we now we are showing kids that it okay to “bend” the rules because rules don’t matter. That would be against what the UIL is about. They made these rules for people to follow them. Its not fair to all the other bands that follow the rules… it doesn’t matter about whether or not the bands directors had good/bad intentions, they still broke the rules… I do believe that these programs still would have made it to the next level if this wasn’t an issue, but the directors clearly tweaked with the soundboard during the performances… these directors ought to be ashamed of themselves for putting their students into this mess when they clearly know the rules…

Believe me when I say this isn’t “sour grapes”. Anybody who has decent morals would stand up when something isn’t right… I could care less if Rowlett or Sachse goes to san Antonio at this point, but People need to be held responsible for their actions.

Edited by crazyjakeup

This soundboard issue is ridiculous. Even though I am in Sachse's band, I know that Coppell deserves to be in San Antonio this year. I didn't get to see their Finals performance, but based on Prelims they deserve that top spot in the area. They sounded and marched great. The students had nothing to do with this issue and they marched their butts off. It would be disheartening to be disqualified because of a simple mistake by the band director. They have a great chance to do really well in state this year and I wish them good luck. I hope that UIL lets them off.

And I don't say that because I think Rowlett shouldn't be at State. If I had been judging, it would have been:

1.Coppell

2.Duncanville

3.Rowlett

Rivalries don't play a part in my support for Coppell.

But Coppell should be allowed to advance. No question.

From Roweltt, I agree 100%

However, my view is strictly "rules are rules"

Jacob what happend with ducanville in prelims?

I can answer this, the microphones during Duncanville's performance (not that they needed microphones anyway because I was at the very top center and I could hear them easily) were sputtering and during the flute solo, a director (upon further review) told the student in charge of the soundboard which buttons to push and what not and the microphone issue was fixed in a heartbeat.

As for the "controversy", I am not going to say anything about it because I wasn't able to witness to what happened to Coppell. But I am ashamed on how many people are jumping to so many conclusions and showing their true colors, but when you have controversy like this, I am not surprised.

From Roweltt, I agree 100%

However, my view is strictly "rules are rules"

Wow so if you break the rules you only get a slap on the wrist? Rules are Rules. I personally dont care who goes from that Area but the director knows the rules and went ahead anyway and did what he did. An example should have been set for others but instead it shows that the rules are bent when needed and not followed. They do not follow the rules set out and signed on. At ours a soundboard went out but the band played without it as the director stepped back and knew the rules and followed them. This shows a bad example of not going by written rules and enforcing them. So does this mean other bands could have went further had their directors helped with part of the soundboards, instruments, etc.

This is just outrageous to make rules but dont enforce them! It is a slap in the face to all the other bands that go by the rules and follow them completely!

I have no clue exactly what happened but now as the official decision has been made, lets drop the issue. This is over with. I'm from Coppell and all I am hearing is that people are upset it happened. We worked our butts off and this issue did not affect anything with our overall performance. Just please move on from this topic.

I have no clue exactly what happened but now as the official decision has been made, lets drop the issue. This is over with. I'm from Coppell and all I am hearing is that people are upset it happened. We worked our butts off and this issue did not affect anything with our overall performance. Just please move on from this topic.

Unfortunately it looks like the official decision was an incorrect one and its not fair to all the other bands that follow the rules. Every band was great and worked their butts off and this director knew what the rules were and broke them anyway. So next year if they take say four bands from your area and you are fifth and one broke the rules clearly written that it should be a d/q you wouldnt be bothered by it?

We are not in that area but I would be steaming if I were and still am to a degree because this helps one band and slaps the other 30+. Rules are rules and rules are not made to be broken.

Anyway decision was made and I feel for the ones in that area that followed the rules and dont get to go.

I think this was probably the right decision. It was a first offense and it really wouldn't be fair to the students to disqualify them over a sound board issue. It's a relatively new rule, but it is a rule nonetheless and I think all directors should be held responsible for keeping up with rule changes. A reprimand should be more than enough to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm in one of the bands in Area C and I think that they should get to go. They would have won it whether the director ran the soundboard or not. They weren't trying to cheat their way to victory. They were the best band out there Saturday, soundboard issue or not, and I think that they represent Area C pretty darn well. So let's drop the soundboard thing. It was already resolved. They were reprimanded and that should be plenty.

Unfortunately it looks like the official decision was an incorrect one and its not fair to all the other bands that follow the rules. Every band was great and worked their butts off and this director knew what the rules were and broke them anyway. So next year if they take say four bands from your area and you are fifth and one broke the rules clearly written that it should be a d/q you wouldnt be bothered by it?

We are not in that area but I would be steaming if I were and still am to a degree because this helps one band and slaps the other 30+. Rules are rules and rules are not made to be broken.

Anyway decision was made and I feel for the ones in that area that followed the rules and dont get to go.

I disagree i would not be upset once the official decision was made. I'm a little more mature to let the officials make the decisions than me.

I'm in one of the bands in Area C and I think that they should get to go. They would have won it whether the director ran the soundboard or not. They weren't trying to cheat their way to victory. They were the best band out there Saturday, soundboard issue or not, and I think that they represent Area C pretty darn well. So let's drop the soundboard thing. It was already resolved. They were reprimanded and that should be plenty.

Thanks you. I wasn't able to see any other bands, but that is the absolute best we have performed the show.

Our director told the student leadership today that he had no idea such a rule existed. He also stated that the same director ran the sound board at Region as well as Prelims, yet no such controversy took place then.

Let's move on, please.

Edited by royfjord

I disagree i would not be upset once the official decision was made. I'm a little more mature to let the officials make the decisions than me.

Thanks you. I wasn't able to see any other bands, but that is the absolute best we have performed the show.

I had never actually seen the entire show before Saturday. We saw you guys at Carrollton, but that was extremely early in the season. Anyways, I automatically knew who was going to take Area. The show idea was extremely creative, and I've never seen a band play The Planets on the field. Good luck at State!

I had never actually seen the entire show before Saturday. We saw you guys at Carrollton, but that was extremely early in the season. Anyways, I automatically knew who was going to take Area. The show idea was extremely creative, and I've never seen a band play The Planets on the field. Good luck at State!

Thanks. The show was REALLY rough up until Area. Alot of changes and work made it to this point and yet it still is not anywhere near perfect. But thanks.

Thanks!

Its great to hear that coming from another school band member. Its also great that people from other schools can show their support of one another without being rude our angry about it. I saw your show online and was amazed! Our area was unlucky in only being able to accept 4 bands into state so unfortunatley some that obvioiusly deserved to go were unable to. Awesome job this year and amazing show and good luck in the year to come!

wow i find it very hard to believe that any director would not know the rules. the rule has been around for at least 4 years(i remeber hearing about it my soph. year because our bd had to train one of kids who wasnt marching to work the soundboard because it was AGAINST THE RULES if he did it) i think thats enough time to find out about it... i think this is very sad that the UIL will let this go. i hope something good id to come out of this...

remember kiddos, cheating isnt cool...

wow i find it very hard to believe that any director would not know the rules. the rule has been around for at least 4 years(i remeber hearing about it my soph. year because our bd had to train one of kids who wasnt marching to work the soundboard because it was AGAINST THE RULES if he did it) i think thats enough time to find out about it... i think this is very sad that the UIL will let this go. i hope something good id to come out of this...

remember kiddos, cheating isnt cool...

WOW........ Can we just move on?

i dont see how people can put up with this... why play a game when you let people cheat and get away with it... though they surely didnt get the good scores they got because of the "soundboard-event" it is still against the written rules(which are open for everyone to look at)... ... its like in golf, they have a stupid rule that at you must sign your scorecard or you are disqualified. its a rule that really doesnt effect the performance but if you break you will get penalized for it...