Trumpets!

TRtrumpet

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So yeah... how would you rate your school's trumpet line? I would say ours is... amazing. we have one guy who has made All-State 3 times (Band, Orchastra and Jazz) and another who has made it twice. And antoehr who might make it this year. We took 9 out of 12 chairs for All-City. We're looking forward to all-region and beyond as well...

Our trumpet line is absolutely amazing. I don't know if you have heard our marching show, "Beyond", but we have our lead trumpet several solos where he hits double F's. I believe he made fifth in state last year but i'm not sure but we also have another trumpet player who last year as a freshman made somewhere around 13th at state.

• 1 year later...

You whats up trumpets my name is Adddonis I go to North Shore Senior High School.

I have to say the trumpets are the funniest section at our school but we are still smart. lol Yo let me know how it is at other schools. I want to meet other trumpet players. Send me a friend request.

2nd chair

Highest Note: E above the staff (last tim i tried)

Mouthpiece: 3C MegaTone

Wuzzup, I go to Dripping Springs.

6th chair, top band

Trumpet: Late 90's bach silver TR300 (the valves SUCK)

Mouthpiece: Marcinkiewicz signature E3/3C

Top note: I can hit up to a D or E above the staff on most days, the highest note I've ever gotten is a G above the staff. Lowest note is a pedal G.

• 9 months later...

This thread seams somewhat random so I though I'd post a slightly more upfront topic:

I think some trumpets are paying a little too much attention to range in these posts. I know many of you can hit these notes, as

a fellow screamer, but I think it is more about accuracy when it comes to notes above the staff. DCI shows players who can hit the screamer notes every time not just the piercing squeezed-out note once in a while. I've seen professional trumpets play at an extreme range, such as Maynard Ferguson, but I don't think even he was as accurate as he should have been.

Trumpet: Yamaha Xeno (NY)

Mouthpiece: 3c, 5c, 7c

Top Note: (accurate to roughly 20:1) C above the staff

Trumpet: Yamaha Xeno

Mouthpice: Yamaha custom 16C4 (really wierd, I know...)

Highest note: work in progress. got my braces off back in June so I'm having to retrain everything to get that range great again. :P

Chair: 8th, Top Band

Hey everyone!

Trumpet: King Silver Flair [no one has ever heard of it... *tear*]

Mouthpeice: 3C but thinking about going to a 1 1/2C [anny suggestions?]

Range: Lowest pedal tone to [usually] a G [on the top of the staff... yeah my range sucks.]

Chair: 2nd band 4th chair.

So I definately agree that high notes are bad warm ups.

Speaking of high notes... how can I get my range better? I have braces so my range sucks really bad. But I am getting the off on Nov. 28. [YAY]

Not even cheater mouthpieces [7C] seem to help me. Then I can hit a G#.

Any help? I know I'm getting my braces off really soon but I want to be able to get my range back for these next 2 weeks.

That would be awesome.

THANKS! :D

All I've been doing to get it back up is long tones, slurs, bends, and anything else that tortures your chops lol.

Also, I know its kind of late since your only a few months out from getting them off, but a great way to cheat around the pain of playing w/ braces was this mouth gaurd called the Morgan Bummper that just snapped onto the brackets. You can order it off of the internet just by googling it. At least it would get ya through the tense and painfull playing of marching band. It sure helped me!

BTW: what contests is Timberview going to?

Yamaha Xeno has always been one of the "in" Trumpets to own (their C Trumpets are stock for orchestral playing), though Bach Strad seems to always have been the CHOICE Bb for most pros.

That's been changing lately though.....I'm seeing a LOT more people with Xenos these days. The Xenos are slightly cheaper....I wonder if that may be part of it. I'm not a Trumpet player so I don't really keep up with this as much as many of ya'll Trumpeters do....but it's something I've noticed.

Yamaha Xeno has always been one of the "in" Trumpets to own (their C Trumpets are stock for orchestral playing), though Bach Strad seems to always have been the CHOICE Bb for most pros.

That's been changing lately though.....I'm seeing a LOT more people with Xenos these days. The Xenos are slightly cheaper....I wonder if that may be part of it. I'm not a Trumpet player so I don't really keep up with this as much as many of ya'll Trumpeters do....but it's something I've noticed.

After spending hours researching trumpets, trumpet brands and all the different parts that go into making a quality horn, I've developed a reasonable theory to why Xeno's are becoming more popular. I own a Xeno myself, the NY model, which can get very loud and very soft very quickly, and takes a ton of air to produce a sound, but the result more often than not is a beautiful tone, a great range, along with easy, unhesitant slurs, note pops, falls, screams etc. From what I know on a student standpoint, the Xeno has recently achieved popularity, not due to its slightly lower price, but rather, the quality of horn that Yamaha has produced. Earlier in the Xeno's production, the quality was much like the Bachs standard manufactured instrument. Recently though, Yamaha decided to step up its game, and in the opinion of professional trumpet players that I know along with criticisms and comments on the interweb, the quality of horn has changed dramatically, surpassing, in many people's opinion, the Bach Strad. While each horn is highly reputable, and valued, the horn truly chooses the player in this aspect. I have heard many debates between experienced trumpet players and differing opinions on a multitude of levels including tone, range, adaptability, even valve-oiling usage. But over all this, I believe that while Yamaha has indeed upped its grade of professional trumpets, the scores match up pretty well, and thus, the player must experience both horns in order to get the horn that fits his style, his usage (jazz band, orchestra, concert, marching, etc.), and his comfortability. Many aspects go into choosing a horn that fits the particular player, and an increase in popularity resulting from the increase in quality, makes the Yamaha Xeno a top contender for the market in professional horns.