Area D Marching Contest

now im not just saying this because its the school i go to.

but MacArthur has a pretty good chance this year. we have been working our butts off. and this year is going to be very tough because everyone has been working their butts off. i think its going to be a great competition. and it will be VERY close. well all of this is in my opinion.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My finals pick...no bubbles

Churchill

Reagan

MacArthur

Judson

Smithson Valley

Wagner

New Braunfels

Lee

Madison

Roosevelt

East Central

Cedar Park

Georgetown

Leander

McNeil

Stony Point

Round Rock

Vista Ridge

Westwood

A&M Consolidated

Belton

Bryan

Copperas Cove

Ellison

Temple

Pflugerville

Westlake

Akins

Austin

Anderson

Bowie

Connally

Ok...well the last spot is a toss up and I can't decide. :o

now im not just saying this because its the school i go to.

but MacArthur has a pretty good chance this year. we have been working our butts off. and this year is going to be very tough because everyone has been working their butts off. i think its going to be a great competition. and it will be VERY close. well all of this is in my opinion.

Now this particular case of self-hype is one that I'll vouch for. MacArthur has done a great job with the Copland material this year. I would not be surprised if they were in Area Finals. However, I'm still sticking to my Let The Show Do The Talking philosophy.

My finals pick...no bubbles

Churchill

Reagan

MacArthur

Judson

Smithson Valley

Wagner

New Braunfels

Lee

Madison

Roosevelt

East Central

Cedar Park

Georgetown

Leander

McNeil

Stony Point

Round Rock

Vista Ridge

Westwood

A&M Consolidated

Belton

Bryan

Copperas Cove

Ellison

Temple

Pflugerville

Westlake

Akins

Austin

Anderson

Bowie

Connally

Ok...well the last spot is a toss up and I can't decide. :o

Even though I'm having fun with my picks I really do wish the best for all bands competing. I know everyone has and still are working very hard to give their best show. It could easily change for one performance to the next.....

Stay focused and believe!

Now this particular case of self-hype is one that I'll vouch for. MacArthur has done a great job with the Copland material this year. I would not be surprised if they were in Area Finals. However, I'm still sticking to my Let The Show Do The Talking philosophy.

i totally agree.

im just hyped up and just waiting for saturday to hit.

we are going to put on one heck of a show.

i am very excited for everyone.

good luck bands!

ohhhh andd.....

Band 27: MacArthur HS, Region 12, John Goforth 4:30PM!!!

State Likely:

Cedar Park

Winston Churchill

Bowie

In competition for State spots:

Leander

Akins

Westlake

Connally

Possible Finalists:

Georgetown

Ronald Reagan

Westwood

New Braunfels

Vista Ridge

Round Rock

McNeil

Would you really put Reagan only as a possible finalist? I haven't been able to see them, and from what I understand they're not up to their standards from the last couple of years, but I figured they would still be considered a state bubble....

I agree that MacArthur is doing pretty good this year. I saw them at Region 12 when I went there to watch. They surprised me. I totally agree they make Area D finals...but not too sure about advancing to state honestly.

i would hate to put us down but i dont think we will make it to state this year either. but im all up for finals!

That's what makes these predictions so hard....there are so many bands flying under the radar this year.

Yes, we all know Cedar Park, Bowie, and Churchill have proven themselves, and they are obvious favorites.

Otherwise you have quite a few bands that have competed maybe once in a scoring competition, and even then its been against bands from different areas.

You have bands like Westlake and Reagan who I don't think have even received a score this year. I think either one of these bands could easily steal everyone's thunder and surprise everyone.

My predictions (i like how everyone is afraid to say "these six bands will make state"...just so hard)

Obviously the big 3

Cedar Park

Churchill

Bowie

Then a mirage of bubble bands

Akins

Georgetown

Westlake

Round Rock

Connally

Vista Ridge

New Braunfels

Leander

Reagan

Pflugerville

Ha...fun times for the judges.

man honestly besides CP Bowie and Church i really dont think we can say whos going where to do wat.. if ya know wat i mean here are my bands that are fighting for the last 3 spots

Connally

Akins

Round Rock

Pflugervillle

Round Rock

Reagan

any opinions on that

Besides putting Round Rock twice? lol

Not sure where you're getting Pflugerville (in fact I noticed a lot of people put Pflugerville in the predictions)...are they having a good year and just "flying under the radar" as it were? ....I can name 2 bands currently competing in Area D that you didn't name that Pflugerville has lost to at every single contest held over the past 8 years where Pflugerville and one of the 2 bands in my mind have both appeared in.....possibly 3, though I'm not entirely sure on the third.

Churchill

Reagan

MacArthur

Judson

Smithson Valley

Wagner

New Braunfels

Lee

Madison

Roosevelt

East Central

Cedar Park

Georgetown

Leander

McNeil

Stony Point

Round Rock

Vista Ridge

Westwood

A&M Consolidated

Belton

Bryan

Copperas Cove

Ellison

Temple

Pflugerville

Westlake

Akins

Austin

Anderson

Bowie

Connally

This post may be a bit redundant, but I'm going to attempt to rank in groups. I've placed them in order, but I think order within the groups is subject to change.

Top 3 -

Winston Churchill

Cedar Park

James Bowie

4-6

Round Rock

Charles Akins

Ronald Reagan

7-9

Westlake

Vista Ridge

John B. Connally

10-12

Georgetown

Leander

Anderson

13-15

New Braunfels

MacArthur

Judson

I think after that it gets a bit muddled. But those are my guesses for the top half. I think we can see the most volatility between groups 10-12 and 13-15. I see those six groups fighting for the 10th finalist spot. What makes it difficult to classify is that the San Antonio area schools (Judson, Mac, NB) have yet to compete head-to-head with the Austin area schools (G-town, Leander, Anderson)

10-12

Georgetown

Leander

Anderson

13-15

New Braunfels

MacArthur

Judson

I think after that it gets a bit muddled. But those are my guesses for the top half. I think we can see the most volatility between groups 10-12 and 13-15. I see those six groups fighting for the 10th finalist spot. What makes it difficult to classify is that the San Antonio area schools (Judson, Mac, NB) have yet to compete head-to-head with the Austin area schools (G-town, Leander, Anderson)

I would agree with you except 11 - 15. I think McNeil and Westwood will be in there somewhere

Edited by MaverickBand15

I'm seriously confused as to why people think Vista Ridge will be anywhere near the top half. Anyone want to justify that?

Vista Ridge performed solidly last year as both an Area Finalist and a State Finalist. They beat some very strong groups and perennial 4A powers to get there, and if they are building on their previous year's success, I don't see them missing finals.

Having said that, I also think we can't ignore groups like McNeil and Westwood as was kindly pointed out. These two groups have performed strongly at area in the past and definitely possible Area finalists. I have not seen either or seen many competition results, so my information on them this year is scant. Any and all information on any of the above groups is appreciated!

Vista Ridge performed solidly last year as both an Area Finalist and a State Finalist. They beat some very strong groups and perennial 4A powers to get there, and if they are building on their previous year's success, I don't see them missing finals.

Having said that, I also think we can't ignore groups like McNeil and Westwood as was kindly pointed out. These two groups have performed strongly at area in the past and definitely possible Area finalists. I have not seen either or seen many competition results, so my information on them this year is scant. Any and all information on any of the above groups is appreciated!

Thanks for the info. Agreed about McNeil and Westwood. This area will be interesting to watch!

That being said, I wish more people were hyped about watching CP, Churchill and Bowie duke it out!!

Would you really put Reagan only as a possible finalist? I haven't been able to see them, and from what I understand they're not up to their standards from the last couple of years, but I figured they would still be considered a state bubble....

That was actually a really tough decision for me to make, but yes. They are just so much of an unknown right now, and while I haven't personally seen them, I have heard a number of things from people whose opinions I respect.

I would love to see them do well, I'm just afraid that there might be too much rebuilding right now.

That being said, I wish more people were hyped about watching CP, Churchill and Bowie duke it out!!

I'm not really interested in watching them "duke it out". I know they are all three good and will make finals and more. I'm more interested in watching the others and seeing which ones come out with a spot in finals.

Edited by iceeblue2