Visual:

1. L.D. Bell

2. Stephen F. Austin

3. The Woodlands

General Effect:

1. L.D. Bell

2. Stephen F. Austin

3. The Woodlands

Finals Ordinals Placements (Music, Visual, General Effect)

L.D. Bell: (3)

Music - 1st

Visual - 1st

General Effect - 1st

The Woodlands: (8)

Music - 2nd

Visual - 3rd

General Effect - 3rd

Stephen F. Austin: (13)

Music - 9th

Visual - 2nd

General Effect - 2nd

Winston Churchill: (13)

Music - 5th

Visual - 4th

General Effect - 4th

Clear Brook: (14)

Music - 4th

Visual - 5th

General Effect - 5th

Cypress Falls: (21)

Music - 7th

Visual - 8th

General Effect - 6th

Spring: (16)

Music - 3rd

Visual - 6th

General Effect - 7th

Brazoswood: (20)

Music - 5th

Visual - 7th

General Effect - 8th

Friendswood: (27)

Music - 9th

Visual - 9th

General Effect - 9th

Hendrickson: (27)

Music - 8th

Visual - 10th

General Effect - 10th

Some Highlights:

Prelims:

- Westfield 11th only 0.40 behind Friendswood

- Westfield 15th in Music, 6th in Visual, 12th in GE

- All of the top 10 had the top 10 GE scores

- LD Bell 0.8 ahead of Churchill in Music

- SFA 5th in Music, 2.25 points behind LD Bell

Finals:

- LD Bell only 0.10 ahead of The Woodlands in Music.

- Spring was 14th in Music in Prelims but 3rd in Music in Finals!!!

- Only 0.05 points separated SFA and The Woodlands in Visual (2nd and 3rd in the caption)

- All bands placed in order of their GE scores except SFA and The Woodlands being switched.

- LD Bell a whopping 2.4 points ahead of SFA in GE!

I believe Dean Westman arranged Churchill's music this year. Does that make him look lazy?

Not lazy. Efficient.

Chris Retschulte, current Churchill Percussion Director, who in 2006 while with Clear Brook's Indoor Drumline, produced their indoor percussion show "Tragedy" featuring music from "Medea" by Samuel Barber.

I was standing with Clear Brook's Pit waiting to go on Saturday Night and saw all of Churchill's show. There were more than a few smiles and chuckles from some of the upperclassmen when Churchill's show began with the pit feature.

Of course, if Reagan HS were in Houston that evening, they would have recognized parts of Clear Brook's show from their show in 2005.

It reminds me of something I heard a while back from a semi-famous composer: "If you are going to copy, make sure you copy from the best."

Some Highlights:

Prelims:

- Westfield 11th only 0.40 behind Friendswood

- Westfield 15th in Music, 6th in Visual, 12th in GE

- All of the top 10 had the top 10 GE scores

- LD Bell 0.8 ahead of Churchill in Music

- SFA 5th in Music, 2.25 points behind LD Bell

Finals:

- LD Bell only 0.10 ahead of The Woodlands in Music.

- Spring was 14th in Music in Prelims but 3rd in Music in Finals!!!

- Only 0.05 points separated SFA and The Woodlands in Visual (2nd and 3rd in the caption)

- All bands placed in order of their GE scores except SFA and The Woodlands being switched.

- LD Bell a whopping 2.4 points ahead of SFA in GE!

This is kind of odd. How did Churchill go down in music that much and Spring go up so much. Can someone who saw both prelims and finals fill me in on all these crazy gaps and whatnot

Not lazy. Efficient.

Chris Retschulte, current Churchill Percussion Director, who in 2006 while with Clear Brook's Indoor Drumline, produced their indoor percussion show "Tragedy" featuring music from "Medea" by Samuel Barber.

I was standing with Clear Brook's Pit waiting to go on Saturday Night and saw all of Churchill's show. There were more than a few smiles and chuckles from some of the upperclassmen when Churchill's show began with the pit feature.

Of course, if Reagan HS were in Houston that evening, they would have recognized parts of Clear Brook's show from their show in 2005.

It reminds me of something I heard a while back from a semi-famous composer: "If you are going to copy, make sure you copy from the best."

yeah, Retshulte was in Star '93. And Dean Westman arranged woodwind parts. It is clearly based off Stars show but there are plenty of differences. Except the drumline's book. It's identical. But who can imagine marching Medea without Hannums book? Also check out Cedar Park this year. they do an arrangement closer to the Blast stuff and pull it off really well

Okay, so from someone who was performing at BOA I will say this: WOW. I've never felt such a sense of competition in my life (Except maybe when we went to 4A state last year ;) ) I loved seeing such awesome bands and I was absolutely honored to make finals. So...here's what I thought of the bands that I did see:

The Woodlands: Interesting show concept and I loved the music. Rhapsody in Blue? Can you even go wrong? lol The only thing I was confused about was the mats. Have I seen those somewhere before or am I just crazy?

Winston Churchill: Man, the creepy music combined with the straitjackets, the amazing guard, the padded wall props...it was all awesome! More than that I quite enjoyed the music.

LD Bell: :rolleyes: Loved it, as always. Even though I completely missed the show concept. All I know is that they were clean as all get out and played very very well (as always). The freshmen and sophomores who had never seen them before completely flipped out when they saw them. lol, I don't know if anybody else saw their freshmen's faces when they saw Bell of Churchill, but it was a good moment.

Hidalgo: This, I must say, came as a complete shock. I hadn't really heard much about them but when I saw them my mouth just dropped. They're forms and music combination were AMAZING and I wish them the best of luck when they go to Grand Nats. I predict they do very well.

Hendrickson: We had a good show from a personal standpoint, but all I really cared about was the crowd's reaction. The placement could matter less to me as long as the crowd gets a kick out of it and enjoys themselves. Let me know what you guys thought about them if you saw them :D

Unfortunately those were the only ones I can remember now (I'd been up since 5 in the morning to drive from Austin to Houston...on school buses...) but I thought that everyone did great.

Umm... The Woodlands played Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, not Rhapsody in Blue (That was Clements) and yes they used the same props as last year which dissapointed me a little :(

My bad ^_^ You're totally right about the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. The props didn't really dissapoint as much as make me a little curious. Like, why are they using the props? How exactly do they tie in with the show? Not bashing, genuinely curious.

My bad ^_^ You're totally right about the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. The props didn't really dissapoint as much as make me a little curious. Like, why are they using the props? How exactly do they tie in with the show? Not bashing, genuinely curious.

The theme to their show was a tribute to the art of Piet Mondrian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian

hence blue yellow and red.

I never really expected the woodlands to use the same props as last year. I didn't understand their show.... but none the less they still made 2nd place.

Edited by CaviBoy09

I think there should be a band contest judged by 9 moms.

As an insight to how moms think: my mom always notices when someone falls, when a line isn't straight, and when there are cool uniforms.

I noticed that you didn't mention when a flag or weapon was dropped. I wonder why that is. . . :P