• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is everyone freaking out about them playing music for prague?

sounds about the same as the chords from the remaining...

Thats a little vague considering that the remaining was a 12 minute show...which chords, specifically? And did you hear it live? The volume was another wow factor. They're rivaling the sound put out by some drum corps

i mean the part in the video where the woodwinds are in a line on the endzone and the brass are in a scatter... sounds identical to the remaining chords from music from prague... and i guess i didn't get a real representation of their sounds from a video on the internet so i'll have to be made into a believer when i go watch area i guess haha

I've usually gone for Bell because I love the shows they do. I really hope they pull of first at both contests, this year. It would be awesome.

I don't think anyone should deserve that royalty personally... L.D. Bell is a great band... Probably the best, but I don't think still that they should get that high of an honor.

I agree with the earlier post that LD Bell/ Duncanville are on a collision course. I heard them both live recently...Bell sounds very good but in my opinion they are not in the same ballpark as Duncanville. Duncanville sounds unreal. The next few weeks will be exciting!

I'm going to have to disagree with that, having seen both bands. I'm going to go off on a limb and say Bell this year is the best band I've ever heard.

And to gavinrh, I believe you are thinking of Ascension. We didn't play Prague in 06. It would also help if the video showed the whole music for prague section, it just keeps getting louder. Its unreal

I don't think anyone should deserve that royalty personally... L.D. Bell is a great band... Probably the best, but I don't think still that they should get that high of an honor.

Why is that? If you think they are the "best" band why shouldn't they competitively do the best at both contests they attend. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but you seem to be contradicting yourself here! Care to clarify?

I'm going to have to disagree with that, having seen both bands. I'm going to go off on a limb and say Bell this year is the best band I've ever heard.

And to gavinrh, I believe you are thinking of Ascension. We didn't play Prague in 06. It would also help if the video showed the whole music for prague section, it just keeps getting louder. Its unreal

It's ok to disagree. I respect your opinion. I think Bell sounds pretty good this year (probably the best for them) but I am not willing to put them in the same class tonally or musically as Duncanville.

It's ok to disagree. I respect your opinion. I think Bell sounds pretty good this year (probably the best for them) but I am not willing to put them in the same class tonally or musically as Duncanville.

To each their own I guess, I respect your opinion too. Its just hard for me to believe that the band that has won music at nats for the past 3 years, and probably for a 4th year this year, could be in a completely different "class" from a band that they have consistently beaten over the past 4 years.

All these differing opinions are what make the activity more exciting. If everyone thought the same band was the best every year, there would be no point in having competition

To each their own I guess, I respect your opinion too. Its just hard for me to believe that the band that has won music at nats for the past 3 years, and probably for a 4th year this year, could be in a completely different "class" from a band that they have consistently beaten over the past 4 years.

All these differing opinions are what make the activity more exciting. If everyone thought the same band was the best every year, there would be no point in having competition

I agree differing opinions is what makes this exciting! Bell has had a successful run winning music at nats for the past few years and possibly this year.

It's not too hard to believe when you factor in one group has won the 5A Honor band in Texas 3 times. Including this year. I am sure both groups will have a very successful year.

question...I saw bell live the last couple of years and one thing I remember is the HUGE amount of dynamic contrast in their music live (which really isn't caught on any of the online vids)...sadly, this year I can't make it back for any of the contests so I was wondering just how this years show compares musically to the last few shows? way more contrast? about the same?

question...I saw bell live the last couple of years and one thing I remember is the HUGE amount of dynamic contrast in their music live (which really isn't caught on any of the online vids)...sadly, this year I can't make it back for any of the contests so I was wondering just how this years show compares musically to the last few shows? way more contrast? about the same?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is one of, if not the loudest, high school band I've ever heard. So yes, huge dynamic contrast. It helps that they have like 40 trumpet players

yeah, you're probably right... and on that note, i still like the music from ascension the most out of the... i guess it's a tetrology now?

Explain to me why a band that plays the best at both contests shouldn't deserve that honor. I'm not saying that Bell will definitely win both or either for that matter. However, if what they put on the field is musically and visually superior at both contests, then they deserve it. The best band will always deserve to win. If Bell wins one, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't win the other. It's not about quantity.

I think he means..

The part where at the left side of the screen the band is in a circle and it breaks off into lines moving away from it.. creating almost a sun-looking form.

Because there is a very short moment where the music does sound VERY similar to a part in the Remaining.

But from what I have seen, LD Bell has a cool way of adding little parts of music to their shows.

Like that lick that's in a lot of their shows. (Example: The Climax right before the saxophone soloist starts playing Lux Arumque in 'Transcendants'.)

I agree with the earlier post that LD Bell/ Duncanville are on a collision course. I heard them both live recently...Bell sounds very good but in my opinion they are not in the same ballpark as Duncanville. Duncanville sounds unreal. The next few weeks will be exciting!

Has everyone completely forgotten about Marcus? I've heard they are pretty good too...

Nobody's forgotten about Marcus, they're awesome, but the title of the thread is LD Bell 2008, Preview. That's probably why we're primarily dicussing LD Bell in this thread.

What he's trying to say is that if you're going to pit Bell and Duncanville against each other for the title of the best sounding, you'd want to throw Marcus in there too. The poster obviously believes that Marcus is the most musical out of all 3.

What he's trying to say is that if you're going to pit Bell and Duncanville against each other for the title of the best sounding, you'd want to throw Marcus in there too. The poster obviously believes that Marcus is the most musical out of all 3.

I think that's what the poster meant too and it's a very valid point. L. D. Bell's on field musical performance has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years, but they really don't have the same kind of balance and tone quality that Marcus does (or Duncanville usually, but I haven't seen them this year.) That probably has a lot to do with the quality of the concert programs at the three schools.

That probably has a lot to do with the quality of the concert programs at the three schools.

That might have a little to do with it, but I'd have to say its just a completely different approach between the three bands. I think L.D. Bell sounds more like a drum corps as far as overall tone quality goes, and the other two bands sound more like...well, concert bands. Obviously all three bands are pretty much on the same level of excellence, just a different approach to the way they sound.

Agreeing with Zach, I think it comes down to a matter of opinion. There isn't a "right" way of doing outdoor music. I prefer the "concert band" approach, but I'm not discounting the "drum corps" approach. Excellence is obvious either way. Do I like the way the Phantom Regiment brass sounds? Not in the least. But I can acknowledge the fact that they are very good at what they choose to do, and that they do it better than anyone else.