Rio Hondo HS - Advance to Area

AAAAA

1 Lopez HS - Advance to Area

2 Hanna HS - Advance to Area

3 Harlingen HS

4 Donna HS

5 Harlingen HS South

6 Pace HS

There is some question as to the validity of Region 28 advancing 3 CCC bands. According to the Honor Band rules,

Each region is responsible for the selection of its TWO (2) Honor Band representatives from each classification being considered each year.

This says that exactly two bands shall be advanced. But what about ties?

A second hearing of any band's recording will occur if advancement to the next level or performance at the TMEA Convention is impacted.

So is your uil region the same as for honor band, or are there some changes. In that case I expect both us and Liberty to make it through hopefully us in first

UIL and TMEA regions are the same. For Areas, TMEA is different. See http://office.tmea.org/Align06/index.htm

Edit: Added Area B Schedule.

Edit2: I was wrong about the Honor Band Areas. Fixed.

The results from Region 7 (with conditions):

1C: Ballinger MS Band, Ballinger MS, Ballinger

2C: KJHS Honor Band, Kennedale JHS, Kennedale

3C: 1. Concert Band 1, Aledo MS, Aledo (advancing)

2. Symphonic Band, Wedgwood MS, Fort Worth (advancing)

3. 8th Grade Band, Kerr MS, Burleson

5A: Weatherford HS, Weatherford

Paschal HS, Fort Worth*

5A is the conditional one...according to the BD at Paschal, and the TMEA web site (at most recent check), Paschal was entered for Honor Band. However, according to the BD at Burleson (who coordinated the listenings), the only school that submitted was Weatherford. Further details to follow soon, along with a (hopefully) accurate report.

Added Region 7 Results.

Added Region 24 Results.

I just got back from Region 24. It was a long day listening to 9 different CC bands without a break and having to do a re-listening of two of the 3A bands to break the tie for 2nd. Mr. Clardy may have missed his plane tonight because it took longer than anticipated.

In the 3A's, Wakeland really stood out as a cut above the rest with not only a very nice performance of Holst's 1st Suite in Eb, but also a very exciting take on Tichelli's Symphony #2.

For the 5A's, Marcus was the clear winner for me. I wasn't a big fan of their march, but they played the best Prague that I have heard from a HS band. Marcus' nationally renowned percussion section really shined in bringing clarity to Prague's eeriness.

The rest of the 5A bands (2. Flower Mound, 3. Hebron, and 4. Creekview) had really great programs as well and I suspect that it was a close race for that 2nd place spot. It was Flower Mound's beautiful shapings in Theme and Variations (Schoenberg) that really pushed them on top for me.

Edit to add: The Fowler directors wanted me to make sure that everybody knew that they were from Frisco ISD even though they are often listed as Plano just because the school is in Plano city limits. :wacko:

hurrah, we move on and it's good to know that we won rather easily b/c we are still a little unsure about our own performance. I frankly was a little suprised Flower Mound beat Hebron, but they have a great ensemble, and it's no shock nonetheless. As for us we had a good first round but still we have area next, and it definately gets tougher. Yeah, Fowler has one heck of a band director, the best middle school one in FISD, and they also play really difficult music, so good for them.

Anyone heard Duncanville this year? Talked to a friend at SMU that said they were simply amazing and will probably win it again. What else are they playing besides Verdi's Manzoni Requiem? Guess it is between them and Coppell again for Region 20??? Any news on Langham Creek, Spring, or Westfield since all these powerhouses are in the same area? What a joke! Gonna be a crazy one!

Anyone heard Duncanville this year? Talked to a friend at SMU that said they were simply amazing and will probably win it again. What else are they playing besides Verdi's Manzoni Requiem? Guess it is between them and Coppell again for Region 20??? Any news on Langham Creek, Spring, or Westfield since all these powerhouses are in the same area? What a joke! Gonna be a crazy one!

Duncanville's program is:

- Gumsucker's March - Grainger

- Finale, Symphony #7 - Prokofiev / Beck

- Symphonic Suite from the "Requiem" - Verdi / Patterson

I think that Region 20 and Area C will probably be Duncanville and Coppell.

I'm not the best person to ask about Duncanville as I am probably a little biased from the fact that that is my alma mater (+) and that I listened to them live all year long, so I know where all of the issues are (-). That being said, I thought they had many amazing performances, but as with anything live, you never get a perfect recording.

I haven't heard Coppell's CD yet, but I heard them live at UIL and I think that the wind portions of Prague were better than Marcus' wind portions (listening to a CD, though), but not the percussion parts.

Edit: Region 20 is in TMEA Area D, not C.

Per TMEA rules, Langham can't enter a CD due to being the reigning Honor Band champion.

Why can't they enter two years in a row?

To give other programs a chance to perform at TMEA so that a single program enjoying a 3-4 year stint of phenomenal success that vastly seperates them from the rest of the pack doesn't hog all the glory and opportunity that could be given to other incredible programs out there.

That's what I think.

I just got back from the Region 20 listening, so those results are now up!

From the two regions that I have heard myself, I would have Duncanville 1st followed by Marcus and Coppell in a tight race for 2nd. Marcus and Coppell could switch places depending on the preferences of the judges. I liked Marcus' Prague better than Coppell's, but I like Coppell's School for Scandal better than Marcus' Tunbridge Faire Toccata, Adagio, and Fugue (Bach).

Byrd MS was the clear winner in CCC and looks to be a strong contender for advancing to state.

There is a problem, though. Region 20 is in the newly realigned TMEA Area D which is comprised of some of the strongest programs in the state. There will be perennial State bands that will not even have a chance to advance out of Area D.

Area D is comprised of Regions 8, 9, 20, and 26. This includes Conroe ISD, Coppell ISD, Duncanville ISD, Leander ISD, Klein ISD, and Spring ISD just to name a few.

That means only two of the following 5A bands (just throwing out names here) can advance out of Area D:

Cedar Park

Coppell

Duncanville

Leander

Klein

Round Rock

Spring

Westfield

The Woodlands

The Woodlands College Park