On 3/17/2008 at 3:05 PM, TRtrumpet said:

That's kinda depressing, lol.

I just started taking lessons, so unless the guy thinks I should move up to TMEA, I'll just stick to ATSSB.

Don't allow it to be depressing. Make it motivating. A long, long, long time ago when I was in high school I chose to be the best in my region. My school at the time was not know to produce musicians but as a small 2A school we were on the upswing. Lots of practice and a few years later I chose to compete in my state's open class and I was the top rated trumpeter in the state, class not considered. This allowed me to have full ride scholarship opportunities at my in-state school of choice, full scholarship offers from many school around the North East US, and I landed a conducting apprenticeship in high school with one of the top conductors the US has ever produced. Don't worry about class of your band......focus on your talent, be tenacious, be fearless, be meticulous, and go get it. 

10 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

Don't allow it to be depressing. Make it motivating. A long, long, long time ago when I was in high school I chose to be the best in my region. My school at the time was not know to produce musicians but as a small 2A school we were on the upswing. Lots of practice and a few years later I chose to compete in my state's open class and I was the top rated trumpeter in the state, class not considered. This allowed me to have full ride scholarship opportunities at my in-state school of choice, full scholarship offers from many school around the North East US, and I landed a conducting apprenticeship in high school with one of the top conductors the US has ever produced. Don't worry about class of your band......focus on your talent, be tenacious, be fearless, be meticulous, and go get it. 

Sorry to say but that was from '08 lol, most of the graduates this past summer were 4 years old when this thread was active lol, I thought it was recent too because of the mistaken post haha

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact: Region 7 has 79 high schools within its boundaries.  All 79 of them are ATSSB schools (1A-4A schools....ZERO 5A or 6A high schools).  Region 6 directly west of them is slightly larger with 90 high schools.  Only five are 6A and four are 5A (nine in total).  Eight of these schools are located in Abilene, Odessa or Midland with one located in Wichita Falls.  That one HS is called Rider HS.  Rider is supposed to be in Region 7 with the other Wichita Falls ISD schools, but with them being the only TMEA school in Region 7, they elected to be in Region 6 instead with the other TMEA schools.  I believe this is the only instance in Texas where an ISD is split between 2 different regions (though correct me if I'm wrong).

Region 6 actually joint hosts their TMEA All-Region tryouts with Region 7 but none of the ATSSB schools in Region 7 elected to allow any of their kids to compete.

I've encircled the area covered by Region 6 and 7 in red.  You can even see the little gray splotch inside the blue area of Region 7. That gray splotch is Rider HS's attendance zone 😋.  As you can see it's a pretty massive chunk of the entire state.  Isn't it crazy that a geographic area this massive only contains five 6A high schools?

Region 6and7.png