• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the Horn players who's band director is a big fan of John Phillip Sousa. Sousa writes some of the worst French Horn parts EVER!

2 new pieces for Sam Houston State Wind Ensemble, a third one to be passed out tomorrow and more to come later on in the semester most likely:

La Fiesta Mexicana - Reed

Postcards - Ticheli

I'm going to cry. Dunn handed out the march we're playing this year. It's March op.99. I forget the name of the composer but the horn part sucks. Almost the entire piece consists of eighth notes on the up beat. We occasionally have eighth notes on the down beat and if we're really lucky, we get quarter notes.

I'm going to cry. Dunn handed out the march we're playing this year. It's March op.99. I forget the name of the composer but the horn part sucks. Almost the entire piece consists of eighth notes on the up beat. We occasionally have eighth notes on the down beat and if we're really lucky, we get quarter notes.

It's by Prokofiev...

We played that as our march last year. It seems like everything we do, you guys do a year later than us.

Ok, the Donna HS Honors Band is playing

In Storm and Sunshine - Heed

Colonial Song - Grainger

Feste Romane - Respighi

Its a fun program, we've already run through in storm and sunshine. it sounds really decent for january. The 1st mvt of Feste Romane came together this week and I love the piece. It should be an awesome program for TMEA Honor Band tryouts.

It's by Prokofiev...

We played that as our march last year. It seems like everything we do, you guys do a year later than us.

Ha. Wouldn't surprise my directors were doing it on purpose. I know when they first told a couple of us that they were thinking about doing Redline Tango this year, one of the reasons was to see if we could play it any better than Poteet did last year. Two years ago, they played Colonial Song because Mr. Dunn felt he could get Southwest to play it better than Birdville did the year before. It seems that recently, they've always chosen at least one piece that another school has recently played.

On a side note, I'm sorry about your euphonium player incident. That must be really disappointing. Is there a reason that he quit?

Ha. Wouldn't surprise my directors were doing it on purpose. I know when they first told a couple of us that they were thinking about doing Redline Tango this year, one of the reasons was to see if we could play it any better than Poteet did last year. Two years ago, they played Colonial Song because Mr. Dunn felt he could get Southwest to play it better than Birdville did the year before. It seems that recently, they've always chosen at least one piece that another school has recently played.

On a side note, I'm sorry about your euphonium player incident. That must be really disappointing. Is there a reason that he quit?

Actually it's a she...

but uhm, I think it was because band was to stressful combined with school work or something like that... Not sure.

top band at leander, we're playing symphony in Bb by......hindemith. MAYBE. we're still on a trial basis. if we end up not doing it, we're gonna do profanation by bernstein. but i think we're gonna go through with hindemith, i hope. then we have a march, pride of the wolverines by sousa and another piece, dance of the jesters by tchaikovsky. not really sure if we're playing the last two.

UT's Symphony band is playing these pieces for our Feb. 25 concert:

British Eighth March

Canzona

Prelude in the Dorian Mode

Southern Harmony (yowza)

My band is also playing a couple of other pieces that I'm not in...I'm not totally sure what they are though

Ooh Southern Harmony is ridiculous. I played that my freshman year at Leander. Even the bassoon part is crazy so I couldn't even imagine for the clarinets. How are your flutes handling the end of movement 3?

Ooh Southern Harmony is ridiculous. I played that my freshman year at Leander. Even the bassoon part is crazy so I couldn't even imagine for the clarinets. How are your flutes handling the end of movement 3?

well... when our band played it my sophomore year, the piccolo player decided NOT to go all the way to the top of mvmt. 3 lol.

it's insane, but it's a catchy little tune.

um... so far top band has Anchors Aweigh and Terpsichore- Margolis

Second band has Hosts of Freedom and Canarios Fantasia... at least thats what i think its called.

Im not really looking forward to learning 6 pieces this year... good news is... my band director is prolly gonna let me play french horn in the second band and trumpet in the top band.

UT's Symphony band is playing these pieces for our Feb. 25 concert:

British Eighth March

Canzona

Prelude in the Dorian Mode

Southern Harmony (yowza)

My band is also playing a couple of other pieces that I'm not in...I'm not totally sure what they are though

Donald Grantham's Southern Harmony? If so, the "Wonderous Love" movement from that piece is the BEST.

Terpsichore is pretty cool.

Canarios? I played that my 8th grade year. it was fun :D

Black horse troop? I also played that 8th grade year.

That was for our Sudler cup presentation, and we had a very old lady from the John Philip Sousa Foundation conduct it. She was a beast. I've never seen an old lady like that move.