• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Grantham's Southern Harmony? If so, the "Wonderous Love" movement from that piece is the BEST.

Yeahh, it's Donald Grantham's piece. In fact, I think he's a faculty member at UT...at least, that's what I hear. Nonetheless, I'm excited we get to play it. I could do without the 4th movement though, since I have 6 sharps in one point of the 4th movement. yeah, I know lol :)

i play french horn in the honor band at Cedar Park and we're playing

Enigma Variations

Sketches on a Tudor Plsam

and Trooper's Tribunal

all in all a very short 45! min. program. I CAN'T wait for our spring concert

pardon my spelling but i never was very good at it. :rolleyes:

I would also like to point out that every traditional march has all the horn parts

on upbeats. Thats why i hate almost every march im forced to play

i play french horn in the honor band at Cedar Park and we're playing

Enigma Variations

Sketches on a Tudor Plsam

and Trooper's Tribunal

all in all a very short 45! min. program. I CAN'T wait for our spring concert

pardon my spelling but i never was very good at it. :rolleyes:

I would also like to point out that every traditional march has all the horn parts

on upbeats. Thats why i hate almost every march im forced to play

We played Enigma last year. It brought our program to about 40 minutes or something like that. It's an amazing piece, though.

El Relicario. I loved that piece....

There is a march that my sister played that wasn't a "march"....

The whole insturmentation was backwards.

Like the Tubas and low reeds had the melodies while the trumpets and flutes played the down and up beats....it was weird. it sounded cool though :D

Lol that's how it should be. We're playing Pride of the Wolverines for our march and for once bassoons have the melody, but I dont like how it sounds. Later we have the counter and we hold high f a bunch which isn't hard in itself but after a while it makes me dizzy...

UT's Symphony band is playing these pieces for our Feb. 25 concert:

British Eighth March

Canzona

Prelude in the Dorian Mode

Southern Harmony (yowza)

My band is also playing a couple of other pieces that I'm not in...I'm not totally sure what they are though

we sightread southern harmony yesterday.. i freaking love it. we might play it for UIL but im not sure yet.

Edited by capncrunk

Additional info...not exactly on topic, but sorta...

Paschal's Varsity Orchestra is playing:

Nimrod (from Enigma Variations) -Elgar

Allegro from Symphony No. 8 (Unfinished) -Schubert

The Great Gate of Kiev (from Pictures at an Exhibition) -Mussorgsky

All of them are sounding awesome so far (our third rehearsal was this past Thursday)...apart from trying to cover four parts at once for "Kiev"

Additional info...not exactly on topic, but sorta...

Paschal's Varsity Orchestra is playing:

Nimrod (from Enigma Variations) -Elgar

Allegro from Symphony No. 8 (Unfinished) -Schubert

The Great Gate of Kiev (from Pictures at an Exhibition) -Mussorgsky

All of them are sounding awesome so far (our third rehearsal was this past Thursday)...apart from trying to cover four parts at once for "Kiev"

Those a large pieces to undertake!

GOOD LUCK!

didn't somebody arrange an ending to Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony"?

• 3 weeks later...
Why would you EVER want to replace the march from "A Symphonic Metamorphosis"????

When we played our full run through of it today, it was giving me chills. I LOVE THAT PIECE!

Yeah, I agree. I haven't played yet but I can't wait until next year's concert season just for that movement of Symphonic Metamorphosis. Maybe it's cause I'll be first horn next year and the horn parts in the March are freaking awesome.

On a side note, we got Red Line Tango. The piece changes time signature almost every measure or every other measure. It's crazy. But the soprano solo sounds so cool.

Why would you EVER want to replace the march from "A Symphonic Metamorphosis"????

When we played our full run through of it today, it was giving me chills. I LOVE THAT PIECE!

Well, I think our director wants to feature our trombone section because 4/5 of us went to area and 2 made state. The other two(including myself) were only 1 and 2 away from making state. So, I think ultimately he wants to feature our section and Rolling Thunder seems like the likely choice for that.

Well, I think our director wants to feature our trombone section because 4/5 of us went to area and 2 made state. The other two(including myself) were only 1 and 2 away from making state. So, I think ultimately he wants to feature our section and Rolling Thunder seems like the likely choice for that.

Rolling Thunder is a good piece and with a trombone section as good as that, you all will make it sound great.

On a somewhat related note, we have a recording of Rolling Thunder in which our head band director conducted and our assistant band director played solo bass clarinet with the trombones. He played the recording about a month ago and it was the first time I found out that our assistant band director was in band under the conduction of our head band director in high school.

Oh ok! That makes sense.

Always good to feature a strong section! I haven't heard Rolling Thunder though.