• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now the only piece were working on is Rocky Point Holiday by Ron Nelson. Our director seems to be in love with that song because that was our closer to our marching show this year.

Im not sure what our second or third bands are working on though.

I've heard a lot about that song, but have yet to actually HEAR it.

What's it like?

yah, I just pm'd you my email address!

if anybody else ends up playing John Mackey music this year and you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, let me know when the concert is, because I want to come and listen!

I'm almost positive Poteet is playing "Strange Humors" in their Honor Band program. They're doing a couple of preview concerts in the DFW area, but I'm not sure of the dates. I will get back to you.

I officially hate Hindemith. It's like he purposely put traps and skips in clarinet runs just to make it difficult.

Our band is trying to do the Hindemith, but definately not for the Christmas concert. We're doing Sleigh Ride, O Magnum Mysterium and an untitled piece (by me ;) ).

But I love the Hindemith. I can't wait to get started on it.

new update from paschal: for our winter concert we're doing "Christmas Recollections," (arr. Edmonson); "Lux Aurumque," (if you don't know Whitacre wrote this, I almost pity you); and Del Borgo's arrangement of "Carol of the Bells."

For UIL concert season, we're definitely doing Lincolnshire Posy (Grainger); our other non-march piece is currently a toss-up between Rocky Point Holiday, Away Day, and Redline Tango.

Good luck with Redline Tango if you do do that. It's an awesome piece!

I think we played the same arrangement of Carol of The Bells last year, but we fell apart because the winds slowed WAY down while the percussion kept a steady tempo. We brought it together eventually, but it was very scary until we did. It is my favorite arrangement of that piece so far.

Merlin Patterson has transcribed Leonard Bernstein's "Three Dance Variations" for us.

We were supposed to play it at TMEA, but couldn't get the rights to it in enough time.

So we're getting to play it this year.

Im excited. Merlin Patterson transcribed Don Juan for us as well, and it was a total blast.

So i expect this peice will be really great as well. :)

Edited by oDesign

Merlin Patterson has transcribed Leonard Bernstein's "Three Dance Variations" for us.

We were supposed to play it at TMEA, but couldn't get the rights to it in enough time.

So we're getting to play it this year.

Im excited. Merlin Patterson transcribed Don Juan for us as well, and it was a total blast.

So i expect this peice will be really great as well. :)

Merlin Patterson is amazing.

we're probably going to do Appalachian Spring or something like that for UIL.

Anyone know what other contests there are for concert bands that aren't competing in the honor band competition this year? My director has been talking about this Texas State Wind Ensemble contest thing. I've never heard of it and I can't find anything about it online, though.

I just got a for sure answer about our first concert program:

Sussex Mummers Christmas Carol, A Christmas Festival, Festival Prelude, Dances from the Nutcracker, National Emblem March, and Symphonic Metamorphosis.

I think top band has The Nutcracker and Symphonic Metamorphosis, and 2nd band is playing Sussex Mummers Christmas Carol and A Christmas Festival. I'm not sure about the other two pieces...

• 2 weeks later...

For our Christmas concert, we're playing:

The Night Before Christmas by Randol Alan Bass (or as our director so colorfully puts it right now, The Nightmare Before Christmas).

Concert Suite from the Polar Express by Alan Silvestri and Glen Ballard

Christmas on a Snowy Night by John Moss