• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UT Symphony Band is playing

-British Eighth March (I play 2nd part)

-O Magnum Mysterium (I don't play this)

-March from "Symphonic Metamorphisis" (I play 3rd)

-Blue Shades (I play 2nd)

-Lincolnshire Posey (I play 2nd)

I'm not sure which ones we're playing for some high school in April (I think Austin HS?) and which ones we're playing for our last concert at the end of April, but we're practicing them all. And yes, I think we're playing ALL movements of Lincolnshire..haha

Apparently Aledo is playing Slavyanskaya, like us. Our director talked to their director at the TMEA convention and yesterday he said something about how we might do a large concert with Aledo's top band and our top band. It'd be interesting.

I'm a trumpet player in our top band and we are playing Symphony #3, but our director never told us about that dual concert deal. And that would be interesting. But the other songs we are playing are "American Salute" and "Hyme for the Lost and the Living." Its a really fun program when there is always room for improvment.

I'm a trumpet player in our top band and we are playing Symphony #3, but our director never told us about that dual concert deal. And that would be interesting. But the other songs we are playing are "American Salute" and "Hyme for the Lost and the Living." Its a really fun program when there is always room for improvment.

Yeah, our director hasn't mentioned it since then.

Anyway, we made a recording for Midwest today. We played Americans We and excerpts from Symphony No. 3 Slavyanskaya and Redline Tango. I really enjoy our program.

I went to Hebron and The Colony's Pre-UIL concert this past Thursday. In case nobody else from these two schools posted what they're playing, here it is.

TC Wind Symphony:

Commando March by Samuel Barber

Lincolnshire Posy by Percy Grainger

Finale from Symphony No. 5 by Shosty! This was the only piece I didn't get to hear cuz my soccer game ran a little late...

Thoughts: Boy, TC is putting out some bigtime literature. I was sad that I didn't get to hear the Finale, but TC sounded good on everything else. Very nice sound coming from this band. Very controlled. Could've been a lot louder at impact points, though. For some reason they didn't play the third movement of Lincolnshire. I dunno why.

Hebron Wind Symphony:

Comrades of the Legion by Sousa

Circus Overture by Schuman

The Planets by Gustav Holst, mvt II Venus, mvt IV Jupiter (and they're adding Uranus later)

Thoughts: I'd never heard the first two pieces, so it was nice to hear some new lit. Hebron sounds really solid. Big sound when warranted but never out of control. Always very balanced. They sound a heck of a lot better than when I was in band. Circus Overture is stinkin' difficult! I was very surprised at how well they handled it. Now the Planets... It was just... not very good. Venus is incredibly hard. At some points there were intonation problems. Jupiter was painfully slow. To their credit, however, it was the first time they rehearsed the piece in over a month, and the first time they ever ran through it all. Soprano sax solo in Venus was very good (my boy Chris Rzeznik, first chair 5A all state!!!) I talked to the director and they're going to add Uranus by the time UIL rolls around.

We've finally finalized our program as:

Lincolnshire Posy -Grainger

Awayday -Gorb

Rolling Thunder

We're also having a concert a week from tonight, starting at 7 in our auditorium, if anyone in D/FW cares to come see us.

You guys are playing Awayday? That's an awesome piece. We were going to play it, but we switched it for a Ticheli piece.

You guys are playing Awayday? That's an awesome piece. We were going to play it, but we switched it for a Ticheli piece.

Yeah, we are. Took it way slow at the concert (about half note=100, if I were to guess)...but on Friday we took the middle third of it at half=120...it was awesome...

And for once the percussion break sounded relatively exciting (being one of the percussionists playing it, to me it's just kinda pointless...especially when you're taking it at 2/3 tempo. Sounds way cooler at 5/6 tempo.

Which Ticheli piece are you doing?

Edited by ftwdrummer

Our pre-uil is this upcoming Thursday, and we're using it as a possible honor band recording. I don't know I think we got the march and suite on greek love songs to a pretty solid level, but Apollo is going to bring us down. Right now, it feels like we're looking at a 1-1-2 if we're lucky b/c it could go 1-2-2 which would be awful

Our pre-uil is this upcoming Thursday, and we're using it as a possible honor band recording. I don't know I think we got the march and suite on greek love songs to a pretty solid level, but Apollo is going to bring us down. Right now, it feels like we're looking at a 1-1-2 if we're lucky b/c it could go 1-2-2 which would be awful

I thought Pre-UIL was Friday... That's what our director was saying.

Yah... cus if it's Thursday, I can't go. =[

American Salute

Hymn for the Lost and Living

Symphony No. 3 by Kozhevnikov (I think thats how you spell it...)

Our first year with three grade 5's, its intense.

I love those first two songs... haven't heard the third one though.

Just an update to our final Symphony Orchestra concert:

1. Mantras (String orchestra only, it's pretty cool)

2. If You're Gonna Play in Texas, You've Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band (Song by country group Alabama. I'm arranging it for our electric string sextet and acoustic orchestra, plus a rhythm section)

3. Hoe Down (Full symphony. From Copland's Rodeo)

4. Rhapsody in Blue (Just an arrangement, not the real thing, BUT our pianist is going to add some of the original piano parts in there cus she is learning them for a contest)

We may have ONE more song that I'm writing for symphony orchestra. I have to talk to our director about it first...

I think everybody here should come to our PRE UIL Concert on Thursday.

It's at Centennial HS in Frisco and ALL of the Frisco High School Bands (Frisco, Centennial, Liberty, Wakeland) will be performing!

In addition to Frisco's Pre-UIL...Fort Worth's is this coming Friday, at Southwest High School. It's a two-day event (Thursday and Friday)...generally speaking, the non-varsity groups are on Thursday, the varsity ensembles are on Friday, but any specifics I personally do not know, other than that Paschal's Wind Ensemble (performing Rolling Thunder, Lincolnshire Posy, Awayday) will be on Friday night.

Plus (depending on scheduling details), you'll also get a chance to hear Southwest's top band (performing Redline Tango, Symphony No. 3 [slavyanskaya], and March op. 99).

Edited by ftwdrummer

As said above, our school is hosting Fort Worth's Pre-UIL tomorrow and Friday. Our two or three bands are performing first tomorrow since we're hosting. Our top band is performing Americans We, Symphony No. 3: Slavyanskaya, and Redline Tango at 4:15 tomorrow. I'm assuming the rest of the varsity groups are performing on Friday. So if anyone wants to come listen to Fort Worth's bands (Paschal, Western Hills, and Southwest in particular) we'll all be performing at various times tomorrow and Friday.

Aledo's director is coming to hear us play Slavyanskaya tomorrow. That ought to be fun.

Edited by Fata1