Carrolton TOC

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still dont understand how you judge GE...

From http://nshsband.org/toc/scoring.php

General Effect (20%)

This adjudicator evaluates the entire production. He comments on the continuity and flow of the show, the variety of musical styles and tempos, use of the color guard and/or auxiliary groups, and the general impact of the show. He examines the drill design for difficulty, originality, and coordination with the music. The staging of both musical and visual elements, attention to detail, and appearance of the uniform are taken into consideration in this caption.

So I guess it's really not that dependent on visuals, that's only a part of it? I'm not too sure..

I can't find the explanation that I read before, but I'll try and sum it up.

General Effect takes into account the whole show. It takes into account difficulty and execution, the variety of styles and tempos in both music and marching, and how auxiliary parts of the show, such as the guard or body moves, fit in with the music. General effect looks at how the music and the marching fit together. For example, if you have a part of the music that is extremely flowing and beautiful, it would make sense to have a form with a lot of sharp corners or chaos going on. Another example could be if the music was very harsh and 'fiery' you wouldnt want the guard using peacefully blue flags.

Contrary to what many believe, general effect is NOT how much a show pleases the crowd(though, shows with good general effect often do this), rather, it is the relevancy of visual and auditory aspects of the music, as well as difficulty and execution.

If anyone has anything to add or disagree with, id love to hear it, cuz id love to learn more.

Wylie's show is still a giant ? to me.

Yeah that's the way I feel about it too. They sounded great, it's just I didn't understand a single concept of that show, and was a little dissapointed that some sets such as some simple forms as lines didn't quite lock in. The show in general just seemed a bit random and ill-placed. But once again grats to them.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Our marching director also wrote the drill for Aledo =0.

No, we dont have school, our directors in their infinite wisdom (sigh...) planned a night practice on a holiday. Brilliant...

Sorry to hear that. =( At least you get to have a clinician with your drill writer, that'll make you have a better understanding for the show/drill and it should be interesting :).